There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
      As someone who has absolutely NO facility for languages...I admire anyone who is bilingual or more!
      Nmom
      Me too, Nolamom. I have always admired people who can speak more than one language, fluently. I speak English (that's because I was born in the U.S.).

Sé hablar español un poco. But, that's just about it. I'm still learning how to speak and understand Spanish better. I try to watch the Spanish networks (Telemundo, Futura), and see if I can understand or learn. It's even better when I use the CC on Spanish channels. Makes it easier to kind of understand what they're saying.

I just admire the people who come to the U.S. from a foreign country not knowing a thing of English, and they take the time to learn and speak English very well.

sigpic
      Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
        Me too, Nolamom. I have always admired people who can speak more than one language, fluently. I speak English (that's because I was born in the U.S.).
        Bah, Americans don't speak english! They speak "American English" An extremely annoying sub-set of english complete weird weird spellings and pronunciations! (j/k by the way i hope i didn't offend our american lackeys..er..friends )
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

I speak German and English on native speaker level and know a bunch of languages rather well that do not have speakers anymore: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Old English, Middle English, and Coptic. I can get around in Welsh and Arabic and can order food in Italian Among the artificial languages, I know some basic Esperanto, Klingon, and a bit more of Sindarin (one of Tolkien's languages). I have dabbled in Ancient Greek and Modern Russian and can read (but not understand most of) both. Right now I'm learning Akkadian (Assyrian, in cuneiform). I understand the concepts of most languages' grammars, though, even if I don't speak them - that's one of the bonuses of being a linguist, you learn to recognize and understand structures in languages...

...and if the Welsh *really* run the SGC, at least I can talk to them in their native language

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
          Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
          ~CELLO!~
          ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by tera'ngan
            And his answer was . . . ?

-tera'ngan
            I answered that in my original post. Michael said, in terms of earth languages, Daniel had learned Chinese(can't remember which dialect--or even if he mentioned which dialect). So that means as Earth languages go, he now speaks around 24.

Comment

Being Norwegian, I obviously speak Norwegian most of the time! And I'd say I'm fairly well familiar with English. But that's it... I'm no Daniel.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

wow...and chinese is pretty hard...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
                  wow...and chinese is pretty hard...
                  Let me guess: ur more accustommed to latin based languages right?
                  [email protected]
                  http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                  One nation under dog
                  There of which I stand alone
                  A face in the crowd
                  Unsung, against the mold
                  Without a doubt
                  Singled out
                  The only way I know

Comment

I have issues with English despite the fact that it's my first language. I can speak a bit of Welsh, I studied it in school and was alright but don't get that much chance to use it in Sheffield (weird that) so I've forgotten most of it. I have nothing but respect for those who can speak multiple languages!
                    I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.

Comment

Anyone who speaks more than their first language has to study very hard to learn then fluently. At school, we are taught Spanish and French
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                        I answered that in my original post. Michael said, in terms of earth languages, Daniel had learned Chinese(can't remember which dialect--or even if he mentioned which dialect). So that means as Earth languages go, he now speaks around 24.

When? He didn't know it in FB.

J.
                        "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1

J.
                          Hey he's the one who said it in answer to Ali's question. I figure he had some reason for saying it as he specifically said Chinese, so I assume either the translator was more for the comfort of the old man(I've been told there are cultural reasons for this but unfortunately I can't quite remember what they were ) OR it was a dialect of Chinese Daniel didn't know(they can be very different and thus difficult to understand for those who speak another dialect) OR Daniel decided to take it up AFTER meeting the old man, thinking "Hey maybe I should add Chinese to my repetoire, it is the most common spoken native language on Earth after all, I can't believe I haven't done this sooner!::forehead slap::"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1

J.
                            I believe that Chinese couple was speaking Cantonese. (Don't ask me what they were saying. That's what it said in the CC. ) There are many different Chinese dialects. May be Daniel doesn't know Cantonese. May be, he knows only certain Chinese dialects. Or, may be he just knows Mandarin.

sigpic
                            Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                            X