Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is called the pretzel effect. Kind of like in the movie "Kate and Leopold." Basically, the way it works is that future events effect past event that affect future events. So that all tie together.
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

I like Pretzals

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
        I like Pretzals
        ditto.

and I am sufficiently confused now.

thank you, all!

Comment

And if the show was never mad we might or might not be having this talk, the world might or might not be a better place. It's a freaking show people! It was a funny episode but that's it, it's only a TV show!!!
          It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
            And if the show was never mad we might or might not be having this talk, the world might or might not be a better place. It's a freaking show people! It was a funny episode but that's it, it's only a TV show!!!
            Dude, this is ALL about the TV show. Every topic on this forum can be countered with "it's only a TV show!!!"

We're merely having a discussion here. Go figure. It's a forum.

Yeah, I enjoyed the ep, thought it was funny and different, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about the theories that were expressed in it.

Comment

I still like Pretzals

Comment

Following the time concepts elucidated by this gentleman, SG-1 would be required to find their way back from the future without the assistance of Cassandra, at least once. Assuming that the technology to detect solar flares exists in whatever distant year SG-1 travels to, which it must if Cassandra knows when one is about to occur, SG-1 should be able to accomplish this without too much delay and, with the help of Carter, cognizant of the necessity not to carry back too much future knowledge.

When they return to Earth in the year 1998, they can then inform Cassandra that she needs to meet them sometime in the future in order to streamline the process and limit as much damage to the timestream as possible. On the next loop around, SG-1 can finally meet Cassandra and carry out the events as depicted in the episode.
                END OF LINE

Comment

I think one of the things that is getting messed up here is the idea of alternate realities and time travel.

You can travel back in time and change your own time stream. The time stream of what you would have existed in then becomes an alternate reality with more of a connectivity to the same reality that you are in.

In the stargate universe there is a reason that you cannot travle to another alternate reality through the stargate. It has been deemed impossible and the quantum mirror is the only way to actually jump into the second reality.

If indeed one would 'change' this history of one's time line, the time line will be rewritten over. 2010, the note is sent, but in our reality it will never happen that we made the alliance with the Aschen. Will there be an alternate reality that would have that SG-1 did not succede and it still exists. Yes, but have we changed realities, no, we changed our own time line. Its not inacting a shift to a different reality, it is rewritting the time line.

In Roswell, they did a thing on this where Max went back in time to keep the 4 of them together, and after the act that would change things happened. He no longer existed because what had made him into what he was did not happen.

For example: If someone from the future were to go back in the past to when Martof died. And marked him as a zartk before the conference there by saving his life. We are also going to suppose that a second To'kra managed to save him from being killed by a go'auld, and if it had been Martof he would not have had known to save this person and they died. When they go back and safe Martof, they will infact end their existance because they would have not lived to go back and save Martof. Martof will always exist now because he was able to be marked and protected. Which then negates the time that the other lived through, and if they had not lived then they would not have been alive to go back in time and stop Martof and would fade out of existance.

I hope that this helps some. I might be going of the philosophical deep end here.

Comment

Im a UK stargate fan and there is a whole LOAD of us at www.sgc-network.com

Im Senior Airman Stephen Hanmer.

If you want more info, PM me or e-mail me - [email protected]

'_'
                    On off...
                    Stephen Hanmer

Comment

A bit of clairfication for people.

Imagine Time as a VCR tape. SG-1 recorded over the VCR tape the time that they actually went to the Aschen homeworld. And all of the actions that led up to 2010. When they sent the note back in time, it was like rewinding the tape to the point right before the note arrives. From then the VCR tape is being rerecorded with the advent of the note happening.

It is a bit of a parodox, of how the note exists when the actions of writting the note will litterly never happen now. There will be in theory when the actions of the note being written are rerecorded over the note will cese to exits.

This is all happening in our own time line, what was rerecored over, becomes an alternate reality, by the simple appearance of the note will make a difference in the choice, any difference of choice will create as many alternate realities as there are choices to take.

I hope that clears things up a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X