Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think there should be a Season 9?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I don't think it'll end at season nine. If fans are becoming so desperately, rabidly positive about the upcoming season that they'll attack anyone who dares to voice a negative viewpoint, then they are gonna be hellbent and determined to watch the show no matter what.

SG-1 will still bring in the ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by steelcage
      Yes of corse it should. At least tie with xFiles..
      And some of those daytimes soaps have gone on for more than 20 years. Perhaps that's the next record the folks should concentrate on next.
      You can have Stargate pregnacies that go for 2 years. Sam and Jack can do a will they, won't they for a good ten years. They can even have children that become teenagers after after only being born 2 years before. The show's already developed into cheap soap opera with Sam& Jack so they may as well go all the way and head for that Soap record 20 years+.

Comment

ShadowMaat its all good - if you think that Season 9 is going to suck then it is completely within your rights. I would only say that as a fan of the series, at least give it a fair shot in July I'm cautiously optimistic about this coming year myself. I'm not sure how I'm going to react to the new actors or the plotlines that we've been hearing rumors of, but I'm going to go into it at least giving the new guys a shot. Who knows?

Comment

I think that my concerns with s9 aren't that we're getting one, and it's not that there will be changes, it's what those changes can/could be.

Stargate used to be a very smart show. Yes, it was funny. but it wasn't funny in a slapstick way, it was a smart kind of funny. Adult humor, not in content but in comprehension level

Over the past couple of years, i'm seeing more and more dumbing down of the show. I'm seeing more and more 'homages' to current movies, more retreads of old plots, more and more sexually laden slapstick.

Instead of intelligent jokes, we're getting daniel and vala fighting/flirting endlessly. I'm getting the feeling that instead of this inteligent, smart and intense show, we're going to get more and more 'crank em out' cliches, template tv made to do little more than appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Now, this may appeal to some. And good for you if it does. But i for one can't stand lucille ball. I can't stand to watch actors that i know and admire doing silly plots and prat falls for the sake of the easy laugh

Now, maybe i'm wrong. Maybe i'll tune in in july and be totally amazed....but i for one find the prospect of this show that i have throughly enjoyed for 6 of its 8 years turning into a pale reflection of the greatness it used to have
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            I think that my concerns with s9 aren't that we're getting one, and it's not that there will be changes, it's what those changes can/could be.

Stargate used to be a very smart show. Yes, it was funny. but it wasn't funny in a slapstick way, it was a smart kind of funny. Adult humor, not in content but in comprehension level

Over the past couple of years, i'm seeing more and more dumbing down of the show. I'm seeing more and more 'homages' to current movies, more retreads of old plots, more and more sexually laden slapstick.

Instead of intelligent jokes, we're getting daniel and vala fighting/flirting endlessly. I'm getting the feeling that instead of this inteligent, smart and intense show, we're going to get more and more 'crank em out' cliches, template tv made to do little more than appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Now, this may appeal to some. And good for you if it does. But i for one can't stand lucille ball. I can't stand to watch actors that i know and admire doing silly plots and prat falls for the sake of the easy laugh

Now, maybe i'm wrong. Maybe i'll tune in in july and be totally amazed....but i for one find the prospect of this show that i have throughly enjoyed for 6 of its 8 years turning into a pale reflection of the greatness it used to have
            And yet when I read the episode comments by fans in the forums, most just seem to fall over themselves quoting so and so said some funny line to whoever.
            Nothing about character or plot seems to matter with alot of fans here.
            As long as Jack spews out some lame joke that has nothing to do with anything about the ep- the fans seem to be happy- at least it seems on this board.
            I"m totally flawed by the Moebius reviews by the fans. Page after page of who said what funny line to whom and HOW FUNNY were Daniel & Sam! Nothing else seemed to matter with regard to the terrible writing, directing and ACTING that went on in that stinker of a 2 part episode.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
              And yet when I read the episode comments by fans in the forums, most just seem to fall over themselves quoting so and so said some funny line to whoever.
              Nothing about character or plot seems to matter with alot of fans here.
              As long as Jack spews out some lame joke that has nothing to do with anything about the ep- the fans seem to be happy- at least it seems on this board.
              I"m totally flawed by the Moebius reviews by the fans. Page after page of who said what funny line to whom and HOW FUNNY were Daniel & Sam! Nothing else seemed to matter with regard to the terrible writing, directing and ACTING that went on in that stinker of a 2 part episode.
              People obviously have other opinions than you on what is important, what is funny, and what is good writing, directing, and acting. Not everyone thinks that Jack's jokes are "lame" or that Mobieus, Part 2 was a "stinker."

Don't insult us because we don't share your opinions. Don't imply that we are all "simple" and "beneath you" because you have such "high standards" and we are just the starving hounds eating up any drek that TPTB throw at us! If you want us to respect your opinions, respect ours!

Comment

How about folks here express their reasons/feelings for s9, but not their feelings on others' posts?

There is no such thing as a right or wrong opinion and every person's opinion just needs to be right for them
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

At least ten seasons...

Comment

*nods*

I share those concerns as well. SG-1 has never been cutting-edge scifi. What is has been is consistently entertaining scifi with intelligent stories and great characters. I was proud that they managed to tell their story without sexing up the show. Then everyone's t-shirts started getting tighter and tighter. Carter's bust size increased, the muscle shirts showed up on the boys. If the quality of the writing had remained the same I wouldn't care. But I feel like I'm supposed to be distracted by the "P90 bulge" and the angst of Sam's lovelife and the clever double entendres and not notice the plot holes and the lack of any real drama in many of the episodes. Well I'm not just satisfied with muscles - sorry.

In the past couple of seasons I've often felt the show was being aimed at a different demographic than it used to be - one I'm not part of. It's been an odd mix of "Wayne's World" and lifetime movie at times. And there was no energy or drama in many of the episodes. Even the vaunted chemistry between the characters felt forced and awkward at times. Of course I thought some of these problems started popping up in S5 and S6 as well.

Eight seasons is a great run for any show. It's very difficult to sustain the creativity on a show for that many seasons. Based on the things I was seeing in S7 and S8 AND knowing RDA was gone I personally thought it might be time to call it quits.

But they're going forward. And I'm hoping for the best and I'm not going to say it's crap until I've seen it. I think some of the new cast members could be good. My biggest concern is with the writing - perhaps the new character dynamics and new storylines will reinvigorate the writing team. Who knows?

So I surprised myself by voting "yes" in this poll. I voted "no" in a similar poll several months ago. At this point I don't think it hurts anything to give S9 a try. I'm curious to see Ben on the show. I'm VERY curious to see if they can pull off this whole "new direction" thing. I'm curious to see if the writers can rediscover their mojo.

I don't think it will be any worse than some of the stuff that's been served up in S7 and S8 and it's possible it could be better. Hope springs eternal.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I love the show and unlike most other people I thought season 7 was actually pretty darn good. However up until the last few episodes season 8 was bad. Stargate has definately changed for me. Perhaps it was because I didnt watch the show until late last year. So as I watched all the dvd's (I now own all but 1 set) I thought every season was great, (although 5 was not as good as the others). Now as I have to wait for each new show I actually think they dont live up to wait like the others.

And although I once thought that the show could live on without Jack, I now have my doubts. I watched b bridges on a tv movie about an earthquake and he couldnt act his way out of a paperbag. I hope it was just bad writing, but I seem to remember only seeing him in really bad movies.

So for my money I wish they would have left it with this season. I just love the way they ended this season and frankly I seriously doubt they will be able to do as good a job again.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonis
                        So for my money I wish they would have left it with this season. I just love the way they ended this season and frankly I seriously doubt they will be able to do as good a job again.
                        Why would you wish that the series had ended with this season? You can easily make that wish come true for you by not watching Season 9.

Comment

I'm looking forward to season 9. The only thing I don't get is people saying a lot of plotlines didn't get taken care of. Last time I checked, the Lost City was found. Sarah was freed from Osiris. The Goa'uld have fallen from power and the Jaffa rebellion has succeeded. Sam and Jack have apparently gotten together on a friendship sort of basis. Earth has advanced tech now. Maybourne has been taken care of and is retired on his planet. Anubis has been taken care of and is hopefully dead now. The Replicators have been delt with finally. The rouge NID has suffered continued defeats and in "Full Alert" at least four of their members, three of which may have been the ones in control, were killed, and that woman flying the Alkesh in "Endgame" must have died or something. Lots of info on the Ancients has been discovered, and more will be revealed next season. The only plot I can think of that could be developed more would be dealing with the Furlings.

Comment

Excellent post and very well said. You pretty much summed up a lot of what I have been thining and I am sure you said it better than I could have. Of your post I think the following quote says it best:

"Over the past couple of years, i'm seeing more and more dumbing down of the show. I'm seeing more and more 'homages' to current movies, more retreads of old plots, more and more sexually laden slapstick.

Instead of intelligent jokes, we're getting daniel and vala fighting/flirting endlessly. I'm getting the feeling that instead of this inteligent, smart and intense show, we're going to get more and more 'crank em out' cliches, template tv made to do little more than appeal to the lowest common denominator."
                            This is what is most disappointing, IMO. As I said elsewhere it now reminds me of a weekly sitcom, sort of like Friends but it focuses on the military.

Comment

Just a note to those of you leaving bad reputation to me and others who are against S9, it is uncalled for. I have NEVER left bad rep for someone stating their opinion in a respectful matter in a debate thread! This is a debate thread, guess what, people have DIFFERENT opinions in a debate thread, WOW what a concept. I have expressed my OPINION without insulting everyone, I have been very polite. Instead you PRO people criticize us for having and expressing our opinions, then come into the ANTI S9 thread and put us down some more. You are hypocrites and are true negative people since you think everyone who doesn't agree with you is horrroible. Oh, and don't be cowards by not leaving your name with the comment. Grow up.

Comment

Quick reminders:

Please don't tell anyone to stop watching the show.

Please don't tell anyone that they aren't proper fans.

Please respect other people's opinions.

Please do not make critical generalisations about particular 'types' of fans.

Thank you.

Madeleine

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X