MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I would point out by definition a fan site can't be the official home for a franchise
    Doesn't matter, if fans consider it as such, it de facto is, whatever any corporation/legislation/... says.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I would point out by definition a fan site can't be the official home for a franchise
      Okay fine, the UNOFFICIAL home then -- still 100 times better than the "official" one.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Okay fine, the UNOFFICIAL home then -- still 100 times better than the "official" one.
        That's more accurate and kind of bitter
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

In general, I find fan-sites to be better places than the official if only that I find them a little better moderated. Still capable of toxicity, unfortunately. And the official sites will always have access to new/more "official" content than fan-sites too. Not that fan-sites can't generate their own, obviously, but it's worth noting.

In regards to the format, I'm going to give it a go before I damn it. Do I think it's an odd choice? Sure, I do. Do I wish it was a fully fletched show or the return of Universe? Hell yeah! But I'm gonna give it a go, see what they do with it and hopefully it'll be good.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            In general, I find fan-sites to be better places than the official if only that I find them a little better moderated. Still capable of toxicity, unfortunately. And the official sites will always have access to new/more "official" content than fan-sites too. Not that fan-sites can't generate their own, obviously, but it's worth noting.
            I can assure you that as far as "exclusive" content goes, there's not much of it. The only thing probably exclusive to Command is the 2 entries about the production of Origins. The rest is rehashed material, even the behind the scenes videos are rehashed material from the DVD's.

In regards to the format, I'm going to give it a go before I damn it. Do I think it's an odd choice? Sure, I do. Do I wish it was a fully fletched show or the return of Universe? Hell yeah! But I'm gonna give it a go, see what they do with it and hopefully it'll be good.
            I thought you were talking about the app, but you're talking about Origins.

At least, you get the "legal" opportunity to give it a chance. A lot of us don't even have that.

Comment

Found this while surfing YouTube:
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

So news, yay?

It's still awfully quiet on the origins front.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  So news, yay?

It's still awfully quiet on the origins front.
                  Like deafening...

Comment

Yeah, noticed on Reddit too that all the origins/stargatecommand related threads have gone cold.
                    Have the impression the buzz is over and it's already seriously cooled down...

Comment

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
                      Yeah, noticed on Reddit too that all the origins/stargatecommand related threads have gone cold.
                      Have the impression the buzz is over and it's already seriously cooled down...
                      Everybody knows it's bad marketing if you can't keep the buzz alive. That's killing it before it has even taken off.

Comment

Generally there is always a lull between announcement and proper marketing kicking in. We'll get sporadic teases during production until they enter post and close in on actual release. It's during that time we'll see proper marketing take place and build the hype.
                        sigpic

Comment

Generally there is always a lull between announcement and proper marketing kicking in. We'll get sporadic teases during production until they enter post and close in on actual release. It's during that time we'll see proper marketing take place and build the hype.
                          No, no there generally isn't a lull. A lull means you loose your momentum... and humans tend to move away when there isn't anything interesting for them to look to. It's why there's an unwritten 5-second website loading rule. If your website takes longer than 5 seconds to properly load, you loose the surfer and he will have moved on long before those 5 seconds have passed.

The human race is a remarkably impatient species, and if you do not keep their attention, they will not continue to give it. And most will also not return when you do give them something spectacular cause they will have remembered the previous lull.

In this instance, Stargate Command by MGM is there to keep the people engaged, talking until they can deliver on Origins. But the novelty has long since worn off, and for those who are not all-access the attention is slowly slipping away. Why do you think I started this "Proper Stargate Rewatch"? It's the only way for me, at least, to keep the momentum going, cause neither Command or MGM is currently doing that.

Comment

I understand the concept of momentum. I run a none Stargate fan-site and I always see lulls between the announcement and actual marketing. They can't keep a continual momentum from the moment of announcement all the way through production and into release. Actual marketing doesn't happen until those final few months prior to release where they have enough material in the bag to actually use for marketing for trailers and promo pictures and etc. Of course, all things are slightly different but that's the general pattern.

I don't think they've even started filming Origins yet, have they? It's a TV show so they'll be able to throw more out there. Episode titles, more frequent set pictures, etc. But this is nothing to worry about. It's just more chicken-littling.
                            sigpic

Comment

They want to release the damn thing at the end of December 2017 or the start of January 2018 -- they are cutting it really short.

And they need momentum, because the "fans" are not going to be enough to fund the revenue on this thing.

Pre-production has been happening since, I think, the end of August -- if Director Bryce's diaries are somewhat accurate towards timing.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the release date gets pushed back to Feb/March. When they start filming we'll likely hear a little bit more.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X