MGM Announces New Original Series "Stargate Origins"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
    The gate is a physical prop. All Access >ahem< has a short featurette about it being assembled.
    Oh yeah, right... I knew that. Doh!

Oh well... in that case... yikes, that's a bad look.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yeah, it's the plastic look to it that's off putting to me.
      The stargate in SG1 was never shiny and had a very stony look to it, despite being officially made of metal. A metal stargate doesn't look right to me, and the metallic shine makes it look a hell of a lot faker.

Comment

There's still a chance they can follow canon. Remember, Littlefield was the first gate usage they had records of. Even then in the episode they acknowledge the records they have could be incomplete. It could be simply Prof. Langford's account of the Origins event was lost (probably in the box next to the Ark of the Covenant). Now, the problem is why didn't Catherine know? I have theories, but I'll keep them to myself for now.
        Remember when 1997 was the first time the Stargate was opened? And then when it was actually 1945 and then it also actually opened in 1939? There's plenty of ways the Stargate could have been opened in Origins without Catherine knowing or perhaps not actually knowing the PoO or the address that was dialled. Dr Langford may have seen the address but perhaps he couldn't remember it? I know I can never remember the addresses. I mean, they must have known something about it's function...they had a galactic map in the control room and a freaking probe handy after all...

Obviously we'll see how well it slots in (if at all) but it's not exactly the end of canon as we know it based on what we know so far.

I'm guessing they used the film gate design to match the 1994 footage they're using.
        It's possible they wont actually use that in the show itself and it's just stock footage for the trailer.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

They have activated the gate when Ba'al dialed the Earth in Continuum. So the "old" timeline is broken anyway and even if old-Mitchell will hide, they know it can make something what made a hole in the hull of the ship.
          Last edited by Platschu; 06 February 2018, 01:27 AM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The gate also opened even before Ba'al. In 1929 when Mitchell came through. Good thing the flare didn't send him through to 2 years earlier.

Comment

All evidence points to Origins being in the original timeline before SG-1 started mucking about. So only their trip to 1969 actually happened, since that was a predestination paradox, and which fueled Catherine to continue her father's project and eventually led to the first mission to Abydos.

Comment

Whatever timeline it'll follow, someone's going to be disappointed about it anyway. I think SGU learned the fandom the hard way that you can't please everyone, and on that notion I'm rather amused how there are people who still believe it was the fans who didn't watch (and I'm not counting the SGU-sucks crowd -- I was an anti-season 4 and 5 of Atlantis once too, yet still watched it) or didn't help build a hype that plunged SGU into the darkness of cancellation.

Just look at how many people are still oblivious that MGM sponsored a webseries (and still waiting for the bomb to drop that a lot of the tweeters I see have no access -- Stargate Command rarely if ever answers tweets from people who are outside of the access area, keeping conveniently quiet ). Then again, a lot of those who do have access are not aware it ends May 15 or that there is no plug-in to Roku or Apple TV (or whatever else there is).

Comment

FH: I have mixed feelings like you, but try to be positive about this new show, please. Give them a chance.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    FH: I have mixed feelings like you, but try to be positive about this new show, please. Give them a chance.
                    Who, the show or the people?

Cause I'm not gonna give the show a chance, as in can't watch all of it, then I'm better of watching none of it (now). And I'm most certainly not going to support the people who tell me to shut up and lie -- they're not worth getting any more stargate. Yeah, support goes both ways and I'm in no mood to support something that I will always get dealt 2nd hand for.

Comment

Wow, now they're really rubbing it in that all-access is a VIP-status with exclusive content and only access to Stargate Origins. They're not even hiding it anymore -- the only thing they are conveniently hiding, though, is the limited access to all-access.

Not a good idea, people... I've seen plenty of disappointed fans, and plenty more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Wow, now they're really rubbing it in that all-access is a VIP-status with exclusive content and only access to Stargate Origins. They're not even hiding it anymore -- the only thing they are conveniently hiding, though, is the limited access to all-access.

Not a good idea, people... I've seen plenty of disappointed fans, and plenty more to come.
                        I am not srprised

But I have a tiny bit, a really tiny bit of hope that maybe it is with SG:O as with some of the exclusive stuff, getting released later for everyone - but it is only a little spark of hope, for everyone who wants to watch it but can't now

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                          But I have a tiny bit, a really tiny bit of hope that maybe it is with SG:O as with some of the exclusive stuff, getting released later for everyone - but it is only a little spark of hope, for everyone who wants to watch it but can't now
                          You'd think that but I have little hope -- especially with how they treat their non-vip members.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...rgate-origins/

Beware spoilers!

Welcome to Stargate Origins premiere week! With only three days remaining before the new digital series begins at Stargate Command, fans are getting more intel and new looks at the show.

Landing in GateWorld’s inbox today are five brand new and exclusive photos from the set of Origins. Click on a thumbnail below to visit the Stargate Gallery.
                            sigpic

Comment

Okay, why is there a BTS screenshot of a DHD? That's the one thing perhaps that wasn't left ambiguous in canon, the DHD was found before the Stargate was, by a German archaeologist, and was brought to Germany. So now the Nazis have brought it back to Egypt, or it never left yet? Kind of strange considering the Russians took it from Berlin in 1945. This was explained clear as day in 1969 by Daniel, and in the pilot by Carter ("This is what was missing from the dig at Giza"). If the Nazis were defeated by Catherine or who- or whatever, and the Stargate was secured to be brought to America, then how does the DHD end up in Berlin and not in America? The story would take place in less than a year, because it takes place in 1939, the same year the gate was shipped to America aboard the Achylles (without the DHD), so things would happen quite fast (considering WW2 didn't reach Egypt for at least two years).

Comment

That's part of the mystery and I would imagine would be addressed. It'd also explain how they manage to activate the Stargate as per the trailer but still don't know how to in ToT since presumably the Germans have to take the DHD with them after the end of Origins.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X