Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM bought some kind of streaming service right? Thought I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Comment

Maybe a silly point I'm making, but it is a positive to see the teaser trailer on YouTube with over 600k views. For a poor teaser and not much marketing outside the fb and twitter. That's not half bad!
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

SDCC is some good advertising as well...............
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          If she has to have adventures, I reckon early twenties.
          Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Considering the timeline, 20's to 30's. The Gate was uncovered in the 1920's if i recall, and the movie took place somewhere in 1995 or so. So early 30's at the most.
          OK, so, let's say an actress about 25 years old... Anyone any tips?

Comment

I seem to miss a quote here: to whomever said Origins might not be behind the pay wall

That's exactly what's going to be behind the paywall. There would be no need for international distribution if that content was free to view. It can still be geo-locked (which is easily circumvented).

They want to use Origin to introduce their new digital platform so yes, you will have to pay to view it.

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
            They said they were still trying to work out international distribution so hopefully all fans can enjoy it.
            Which isn't as easy as you might think, so I'm not going to expect much in that area.

Originally posted by ESESEL View Post
            OK, so, let's say an actress about 25 years old... Anyone any tips?
            It'll probably be someone completely unknown to the larger audience, which is in on itself not a bad thing.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Just saw this thread and the news! Very exciting! I wished they didn't do a prequel but will take anything at this point.

Comment

Well, i was happy because Stargate was coming and after reading this topic i lost my hope... First it would be a shame if they'll publish the series with a region block. I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do, but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.

Also i don't understand why the teaser has no new promotional footage (apart from the illustration that i don't know if its new or not). In the podcast David Read said that they are things going on since some time ago and they can't talk about that till now, so, it is a bit odd i think, that there weren't no one doing some visual material to show us.

I read here comments that the ten episodes will be ten minutes and then not. But here and here says that it will be ten minutes each episode. I don't know, maybe i misread something here in this topic about that, but i'm not understanding then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nozomi View Post
                  Well, i was happy because Stargate was coming and after reading this topic i lost my hope... First it would be a shame if they'll publish the series with a region block. I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do, but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.
                  the people on this forum do not know more then you do, could it be region blocked...yes, but it could also be open and free for everyone globally, maybe there will be an advance viewing/behind the scenes paid content, maybe only the old series wll be paid for. we simply do not know until they announce it them self.

Keep in mind that some people are a bit negative on SGO and try to see what is not yet known in the most pessimistic light possible.

Also i don't understand why the teaser has no new promotional footage (apart from the illustration that i don't know if its new or not). In the podcast David Read said that they are things going on since some time ago and they can't talk about that till now, so, it is a bit odd i think, that there weren't no one doing some visual material to show us.
                  The series is scheduled to begin shooting in August (according to the LA Times), so that would explain why there was no new footage in the trailer yet.

I read here comments that the ten episodes will be ten minutes and then not. But here and here says that it will be ten minutes each episode. I don't know, maybe i misread something here in this topic about that, but i'm not understanding then.
                  the press release said: "a 10 episode, mid-form digital series" while gateworld was more specific in saying that it will be 10 min episodes, in the end people here are again only speculating and i personally take gateworlds word as more likely to be correct until we here from official sources.

I wish i could give you better answers then maybe this or maybe that, but there is simply not allot of information yet, however i look forward to finding out more about the show as well as how it will be handled globally along with the rest of you in the coming months.

Comment

I'm from Uruguay, and i'm tired of can't watch or listen things i like because of that reason.
                    I don't think we've seen fans from Uruguay on the forum before so WELCOME!!
                    We can add another country to our virtual map.

I think it is logical if they want to have a feedback of a minor population first, and then decide what to do...
                    Which is basically the same with a TV-show, since only American viewing numbers are counted and thus it's only them (the dreaded Nielsen ratings) which determine whether a show lives or dies. It doesn't matter whether a show is very succesful anywhere else, because it's the primary audience that counts. The rest is just extra money in the pocket with money coming in from licensing the tv-rights, merchandise and/or DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

...but i don't understand why so much noise if they are going to do that. I mean, maybe they could made the podcast region blocked too, i don't know.
                    I don't know if there's really that much noise, although SDCC sure is a good place to start the noise and to let it ripple. But after that accouncement, there hasn't been anything else dropped, and MGM has gone quiet again (relatively speaking).

Like Arend says, they haven't start filming the new series yet so there is literally no material to show. And to create a digital mock-up of a sorts costs money too which I imagine they prefer to spend on the actual series. It probably has been given a budget, and visual effects are usually the most expensive bits of the whole process.

I'm more intrigued actually at the part that it does not, in any way, contain footage from SG1. It just contains footage from Dean & Roland's Stargate.

Ten minute episodes is the going rate for digital webseries -- so I'd say it's a pretty good bet that it will be 10 10-minute episodes. Webisodes are usually between 5 to 10 minutes each.
                    Of course, it could be more or less, but it'll probably be around the 10-minute limit.

Originally posted by Arend(BE) View Post
                    the people on this forum do not know more then you do, could it be region blocked...yes, but it could also be open and free for everyone globally, maybe there will be an advance viewing/behind the scenes paid content, maybe only the old series wll be paid for. we simply do not know until they announce it them self.
                    If MGM says they are working on international distribution, it basically means it will be blocked (for now). There would be no point mentioning that if it weren't blocked.

Advance viewing like the TV-show will still mean a greater chance of the rest of the fanbase going in search of other means to view it at the same time as their American counterparts so that they don't get spoiled (which sadly happens a lot and really does ruin the fun most of the times).

Unless the behind the scenes footage is new, there's plenty of the other shows already freely available on the DVD's/Blu-Ray's. So it would have to be new to be interesting -- though I'm sure they'll have plenty of footage which never saw the light of day. If I'm not mistaken, the episode Urgo alone had miles, and miles of bloopers which never saw the light of day.

Keep in mind that some people are a bit negative on SGO and try to see what is not yet known in the most pessimistic light possible.
                    That's mostly because we are realistic and have been burned before.

I don't know if you were here around the time of Atlantis' airing and all its shenanigans. A lesson was learned then, and it stuck. So, the less expected, the better it can be when the opposite is true.

If you want to label that as negative, then so be it. But I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, then get utterly disappointed.

Comment

I understand keeping expectations low, however many times that is not what is happening thus the negative comments. Here, and on many Facebook pages, I have seen negative feeling put out as FACT. When something is brought up about "Hey maybe this will do something cool..." There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE. Refusing to allow any positive thoughts to go by them without raining on someone else's parade. The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced. While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.

Comment

I agree with you, but you have to understand where they are coming from. There are three Stargate series, only SG-1 has gone on for a while and there's still a lot to explore. And all of a sudden they are making the fourth without finishing neither of the three(we can argue the possibilities are endless so it can never be finished, but still). Not only that, but this time it has nothing to do with the big three, and despite that fact it still has a potential to ruin the entire Stargate.

Comment

Well, thanks for the welcome and the answers!

About the footage, maybe was not the correct word to use (i have a hard time with english vocabulary), i was refering to the fact that there is no new visual content, not necesarily filmed footage. In projects like this i think it is normal to start advertising or promotion by creating new content as new logos or that sort of thing, because that is part of the pre-production phase when they are now if they are going to start filming the episodes in August.
                          I don't know, i have worked in similar areas (i'm an animator, and i also worked in advertising), and it seems a bit odd to me that fact. But, also, they're MGM so i think when you are a big name you know what you do. haha

Anyways i'm enjoying all the things that are happening about Stargate these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                            I understand keeping expectations low, however many times that is not what is happening thus the negative comments. Here, and on many Facebook pages, I have seen negative feeling put out as FACT. When something is brought up about "Hey maybe this will do something cool..." There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE. Refusing to allow any positive thoughts to go by them without raining on someone else's parade. The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced. While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.
                            I am very excited! I almost feel like I touched a quantum mirror and entered an alternate reality. Can't be sure ... everything else seems to be the same

Comment

My issue isn't so much with the series (there's plenty of Stargate to learn what works and what doesn't, and write a good series based on that). It's with the subscription system.

Comment

About the footage, maybe was not the correct word to use (i have a hard time with english vocabulary)...
                                No need to apologize, a lot of folks on the forum do not have English as their native language. And trust me, I have gone lost in translation on many occasions.

My native language is Dutch, for the record.

...i was refering to the fact that there is no new visual content, not necesarily filmed footage. In projects like this i think it is normal to start advertising or promotion by creating new content as new logos or that sort of thing, because that is part of the pre-production phase when they are now if they are going to start filming the episodes in August.
                                I don't know, i have worked in similar areas (i'm an animator, and i also worked in advertising), and it seems a bit odd to me that fact. But, also, they're MGM so i think when you are a big name you know what you do. haha
                                I see what you mean and I guess because it's an established universe it wouldn't need a new logo. There's a new name, well sort of... It still starts with Stargate and ends with a new name.

But I do see what you mean with the promotion and advertising, and the likes. And of course, when you have worked or work in similar business you kind of know how things are working, or might work or should work.

Comment

Working...
                                X