Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn it, meant to quote this is well in my previous post...

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
    There is a small percentage of downright negative people throwing out comments about what WILL happen and it's TERRIBLE.
    Critical and downright negative are still two different things.

Negative folks are hard to satisfy with anything really.

The show might suck, but at least let's maybe watch it and see how the website and pay system are set up before we all assume it's all going to cost money for the show, and geo-locked, and only 10 mins, and have crap budget, and no gate at all etc etc etc...most of these things haven't been announced.
    Actually, you probably have no idea how demeaning (general) you are when you tell a person with less than stellar expectations (negative or critical) to shut up, and just to wait and see. If that's what you want, you're going to be deeply disappointed being on a forum. Gateworld has seen some fascinating times in regards to --- mmm... how shall I put it... differences of opinion.

And a lot more is known:

* 10 episodes of approximately 10 minutes long (the usual length for webisodes)

* filming starts in August

* the director is female, and the writers have done little yet in the industry (familiarity with the franchise is up in the air)

* it will be a prequel, the origin story of Catherine Langford whose father led the dig which unearthed the stargate in Egypt and whose fiancé Ernest got stuck on another planet

* there will be a dark threat which Catherine will have to face (which could actually mess with the canon we know)

* MGM is using this webseries to launch their digital platform, which as you know is geo-locked to anyone outside of the US -- like any digital platform by any big broadcasting company is locked to people outside its viewing area -- broadcasting rights are not a walk in the park either, therefore the international fans are screwed and we all know how people are just not able to keep key elements to themselves in regards to spoiling it for the rest of the globe (yes, it's pet peeve).

* since it's a series to launch a digital platform, it will most likely be hidden behind a pay wall -- how much the subscription will be depends on the content and how they will be using this digital platform

By comparison, here's what a subscription costs at CBS All Access: The platform offers complete access to its complete database of shows, past and present, and access to shows exclusive to All Access, like the new Star Trek show. You pay a monthly fee of 6$ with ads, or 10$ ad-free. That's approximately the same amount as Netflix and Hulu (or so the article says).

HBO Now, which is also a digital platform, costs 15$ a month.
    Since they have their own streaming service, it will pull their shows from Amazon Prime in 2018.

* the budget will most likely be crap -- but that's subjective anyway because budgets are always too tight for everything, no matter how large they are, there's never enough money -- for anything...

* and yeah... the likelihood of a gate spinning and gate travelling are rather slim considering it'll be about Catherine -- she didn't travel through the gate as far as canon history tells us
    Usually a stargate means science fictional adventure -- travelling to other worlds so you could see why some folks are already disappointed. Even General Hammond was disappointed when the gate wasn't spinning (see episode "200").

While they are a concern and should be discussed, I get tired of seeing other's negative opinion put out as FACT when we honestly don't yet know.
    If all you want is flowers and rainbows, then perhaps you should just ignore the critical views and best to put the negative ones on ignore altogether. GW gives you that feature so best to make use of it here. Do keep in mind that if someone quotes the post, you'll still be able to read it though so occasionally that's the only downside to the ignore-function.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not trying to be demeaning at all! I don't believe stating my dislike Of others opinions being passed off as fact should be considered such. I never once stated I think any other person should "shut up" nor insinuated such a thing. As I stated, being critical is fine as I am fairly skeptical myself. The facts you stated were half fact and then followed up by your opinion of what that that will mean. I'm in no way saying that you are wrong and could end up being completely right on all fronts. I just don't think it's a good thing when others come looking for information about the show and are met with "facts" that haven't even been disclosed by the network. I, in fact, very much enjoy reading others opinions. That's why I'm here after all. However, I believe there are those that are a little condescending with their responses to others opinions and excitement because "they've been here a long time and know better." With all that being said, I'll attempt for my opinion to be less "demeaning" in the future...I guess I "have no idea" how not to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Negative folks are hard to satisfy with anything really.
        I remember the SGU related posts. " AAAHHH!!! They have eyebrows, that is so wrong!!! They are trying to be like Battlestar Galactica!!! They had eyebrows in that show too!!!!" Grant it I had my own issues with SGU....but I also didn't see it as a pile of filth others did.

* the director is female, and the writers have done little yet in the industry (familiarity with the franchise is up in the air)
        Reboots and remakes are best done by those who know the subject by experience or through having watched it..

* MGM is using this webseries to launch their digital platform, which as you know is geo-locked to anyone outside of the US -- like any digital platform by any big broadcasting company is locked to people outside its viewing area -- broadcasting rights are not a walk in the park either, therefore the international fans are screwed and we all know how people are just not able to keep key elements to themselves in regards to spoiling it for the rest of the globe (yes, it's pet peeve).
        Not having things on Netflix here in the US that are in non-US Netflix is also a pet peeve >.>. Though grant it a much smaller one

* since it's a series to launch a digital platform, it will most likely be hidden behind a pay wall -- how much the subscription will be depends on the content and how they will be using this digital platform

By comparison, here's what a subscription costs at CBS All Access: The platform offers complete access to its complete database of shows, past and present, and access to shows exclusive to All Access, like the new Star Trek show. You pay a monthly fee of 6$ with ads, or 10$ ad-free. That's approximately the same amount as Netflix and Hulu (or so the article says).

HBO Now, which is also a digital platform, costs 15$ a month.
        Since they have their own streaming service, it will pull their shows from Amazon Prime in 2018.
        They really said that it compares to Neflix and Hulu? Netflix and Hulu have shows and movies from several studios, networks, and channels plus original programming. How are they going to compare only one network's worth of shows to that?

And like I said about the Star Trek show, that's too small of a pool of choices for me to bother with a subscription that equals the same price as Hulu with ads or an ad free subscription that nearly equals Netflix.

I sure hope MGM takes that into account...

Not trying to be demeaning at all! I don't believe stating my dislike Of others opinions being passed off as fact should be considered such. I never once stated I think any other person should "shut up" nor insinuated such a thing. As I stated, being critical is fine as I am fairly skeptical myself. The facts you stated were half fact and then followed up by your opinion of what that that will mean. I'm in no way saying that you are wrong and could end up being completely right on all fronts. I just don't think it's a good thing when others come looking for information about the show and are met with "facts" that haven't even been disclosed by the network. I, in fact, very much enjoy reading others opinions. That's why I'm here after all. However, I believe there are those that are a little condescending with their responses to others opinions and excitement because "they've been here a long time and know better." With all that being said, I'll attempt for my opinion to be less "demeaning" in the future...I guess I "have no idea" how not to be.
        It is quite impossible given the nature of our mode of communication. Trial and error is the only way....and even then it's not perfect. So don't apologize and simply state if you meant it in such and such way or not and continue. If the reader wants to blow things out of proportion (and not I don't mean FH) then that's their problem. Just some advice
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          They really said that it compares to Neflix and Hulu? Netflix and Hulu have shows and movies from several studios, networks, and channels plus original programming. How are they going to compare only one network's worth of shows to that?
          [COLOR="#000080"]
          It was in regard to the fee per month, that's where the comparison ended.

I posted an article on how Netflix operates with its licenses in the other Origins thread. Their budget is quite interesting.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          It is quite impossible given the nature of our mode of communication. Trial and error is the only way....and even then it's not perfect. So don't apologize and simply state if you meant it in such and such way or not and continue. If the reader wants to blow things out of proportion (and not I don't mean FH) then that's their problem. Just some advice
          What Tood said.

Comment

I was mindlessly surfing the web, looking for a clue as to who might be involved actor-wise in Origins. Was looking whether I could find casting calls -- found a mention but the casting calls were already removed from the casting agency's webpage. Anyhoodle, subscribed to the Stargate Command page cause hell, I'm curious...

Then I continued some more surfing and bumped into an article from the LA Times, which had a mention of the Command website -- so basically Stargate Command will be a glorified Gateworld with some extras, as I understand this bit of text:

“We saw a need for a definitive hub for the ‘Stargate’ fanbase to continue to enjoy news and content, both old and new,” said Chris Ottinger, president of worldwide television distribution and acquisitions at MGM, in Thursday’s statement. “Stargate Command will open a new door for the community to celebrate and interact with all content in a way that has never been done before.”

You know, except that a lot of the content will be exclusive and locked, whereas GW is free for all.

Comment

I was mindlessly surfing the web, looking for a clue as to who might be involved actor-wise in Origins. Was looking whether I could find casting calls -- found a mention but the casting calls were already removed from the casting agency's webpage. Anyhoodle, subscribed to the Stargate Command page cause hell, I'm curious...

Then I continued some more surfing and bumped into an article from the LA Times, which had a mention of the Command website -- so basically Stargate Command will be a glorified Gateworld with some extras, as I understand this bit of text:

“We saw a need for a definitive hub for the ‘Stargate’ fanbase to continue to enjoy news and content, both old and new,” said Chris Ottinger, president of worldwide television distribution and acquisitions at MGM, in Thursday’s statement. “Stargate Command will open a new door for the community to celebrate and interact with all content in a way that has never been done before.”

You know, except that a lot of the content will be exclusive and locked, whereas GW is free for all.
              I wonder if it would be better for MGM to post news directly to the news about Stargate section right here at GW. Seems to me that GW is the "definitive hub for the 'Stargate' fan base"

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumentanglement View Post
                Seems to me that GW is the "definitive hub for the 'Stargate' fan base"
                From the moment I signed up in 2004 it's been my go-to hub so yeah, I agree.

Comment

From the moment I signed up in 2004 it's been my go-to hub so yeah, I agree.
                  It is a shame that they don't recognize GW as the "definitive hub", i'm new but for the things i've seen here and the things i heard in the Read's podcast, i also agree that it is THE place for Stargate fans.

Another question, when in August are they going to start filming? Somebody knows?

Comment

Lets be fair here, Darren -was- on the panel to announce this, so it's not like us whiney, whingey fans don't have a proxy voice up there.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Nozomi View Post
                      Another question, when in August are they going to start filming? Somebody knows?
                      Probably from the first week, I would think.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Lets be fair here, Darren -was- on the panel to announce this, so it's not like us whiney, whingey fans don't have a proxy voice up there.
                      But MGM will still be building their own "hub" which would leave Gateworld as the international hub.

Comment

the full "San Diego Comic-Con Panel 2017 | STARGATE: Origins" is finally online on YouTube.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5htpecZLIzU

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Arend!
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

But MGM will still be building their own "hub" which would leave Gateworld as the international hub.
                            Given that MGM seems to -want- a national hub over an international one by using a region coded delivery system, that's not surprising.
                            Just Stupid, something MGM is all too familiar with
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Like anyone is surprised about that.

Also, since the big announcement there hasn't been a single peep. You can find literally nothing about Origins filming or who's in it.

Beyond the casting call there's nothing -- and that casting call was from early July, which disappeared around the time of the announcement.

You'd think to keep interest up, they'd be eager to drop some cool behind the scenes stuff or names of actresses/actors, or fun stuff or whatever -- but nada. It's already old news.

Comment

You'd think to keep interest up, they'd be eager to drop some cool behind the scenes stuff or names of actresses/actors, or fun stuff or whatever -- but nada. It's already old news.
                                Presumably it's still very early in the process. Meaning there simply is very little information. Considering the size and scope of the new series, i think it's clear that MGM is somewhat cautious with this and mostly gauging how popular it still is.

Comment

Working...
                                X