Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG1 Best Episode Tournament - Seasons 1 through 7 overall CTD.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round 91

1. Maternal Instinct
    2. 2001
    3. The Changeling
    4. Revelations

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Round 91:
      Meridian
      Abyss
      The Changeling
      Jolinar's Memories

Comment

Round 91

Fragile Balance
        Heroes, Part 1
        Descent
        48 Hours

Comment

vote 4 round 91
          lmao
          in the line of duty
          upgrades
          the changeling
          meridian
          and i was not feeling well the last 2 days
          i wood have voted the same in round 90
          carter "colone?"
          o'neill "it,s my side arm, i swear. no giggling."

Comment

Round 91 Votes:

1. Redemption, Part 2
            2. Descent
            3. Solitudes
            4. Chain Reaction

Wait a minute, I thought this tournament WAS for the best episodes, not favorite, which considering personal tastes vary as to what makes a good episode, can also vary widely. Some may appreciate correct science in a sci-fi show, others great character development, others the use of f/x. Have I been voting the wrong way all this time?
            LOL No, you're right and I'm wrong. I just realized that when you pointed it out, though. But in any case, I'm not changing my votes. lol There are still tons of really crappy episodes--well, episodes that I consider to be crappy--that are left and that doesn't effect the ones I think are the best. :-)

**feeling really stupid now** (No, not really. hehehe That's a natural state for me. <G>)

At least you didn't point out that I accidentally voted for Round 86 instead of Round 90. hehe
            My Top 40 SG-1 Episodes

My Ranking of All Season 9 Episodes

It's Daniel Jackson's world; I just live in it.

Comment

On the best vs favorite discussion, I think you could take it either way. If you look at post 1 which lists the rules and episdoes elimanted, it says "vote for your least favorite".

For me they are basically the same. I'm not a reviewer (and it's all opinion anyway) and my sole criteria for a good ep is did I enjoy it and would I watch it again. Now I may watch a poor ep again for some good scenes or for some eye candy scenes but that wouldn't put it on my favorite list. When discussing an ep I may say why I thought it was good - acting, storyline, drama, etc (Special effects rarely if ever make an epsiode good for me but they can make it bad especially if they are used to fill out an episode in place of good writing).

Heroes is a good example of this. For the most part I though it was a good episode, but Janet's death left such a sour taste in my mouth that I don't want to watch the ep again and it goes on my least favorite list at this point.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Least Favorite Episodes: Round 91

The Serpent's Venom
                Heroes, Pt 1
                Chain Reaction
                IMO always implied.

Comment

round 91:

Double Jeopardy
                  The Changling
                  Heros part 1

Comment

Round 91
                    The Changeling
                    Maternal Instinct
                    Meridan

Comment

<(ROUND 91)>

The Changeling
                      Crystal Skull
                      In the Line of Duty

On the best vs. favorite discussion, I think this tournament should be called "SG1 Favorite Episode Tournament" since we are voting four our favorite (or least fav, whatever) episodes.
                      Though I must admit that I have been voting episodes off from kind of a reviewers point of view (based on how good the episodes "technically" are: The acting, the story, the music, the special effects and so on). I guess there are other people who vote like me as well, but obviously majority of the people vote based on how good the episodes feel, not how good they actually are.
                      I hope my mumbling makes some sense. For example I think 2010 is one of the most brilliant episodes ever if I were to review it and I would think many people would agree, but because people don't like seeing Sam with other guys than Jack, people try to get rid off 2010 already because of that Sam - Mr.Ambassador affair thingie.
                      Or at least that's what I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Peteo
                        On the best vs. favorite discussion, I think this tournament should be called "SG1 Favorite Episode Tournament" since we are voting four our favorite (or least fav, whatever) episodes.
                        Though I must admit that I have been voting episodes off from kind of a reviewers point of view (based on how good the episodes "technically" are: The acting, the story, the music, the special effects and so on). I guess there are other people who vote like me as well, but obviously majority of the people vote based on how good the episodes feel, not how good they actually are.
                        I hope my mumbling makes some sense. For example I think 2010 is one of the most brilliant episodes ever if I were to review it and I would think many people would agree, but because people don't like seeing Sam with other guys than Jack, people try to get rid off 2010 already because of that Sam - Mr.Ambassador affair thingie.
                        Or at least that's what I'm thinking.
                        I can see what you are getting at, however I'm not sure everybody can disassociate themselves and their personal opinions enough to vote strictly on a "best" episode vs. "favorite" episode standpoint. Besides, why would I want them to? What I think is "best" and what they think are "best" are going to differ anyway...that's the whole point of this poll. And the wonderful comments people make about how they vote are the real eye openers to me. Learning others' personal tastes and what touched/impressed/bothered them in an ep often gives me a fresh way to look at the show. Lots of times folks mention things that I might ignore or overlook, or maybe not even care about. Their opinions don't change mine, but are interesting glimpses into how they think, and why perhaps, an ep that I thought was boring was interpreted completely differently by someone else.

For example, I don't think 2010 was by any means one of the best eps ever and you thought it was "brilliant", yet I consider myself to be voting from an objective viewpoint just like you. I'm not a shipper at all and never vote based on that. You can't assume that because people vote for a supposedly "ship" ep, that they liked it only because of the ship. Sometimes I have to look deeper to appreciate the differences in opinions other than my own. If I look at them as insight into others psyches, not challenges to my personal opinion, they can be very enlightening. It's the differences in us that makes this poll so much fun.

Besides, this poll doesn't decide which ep all Stargate fans think is "best" overall, but which ep the few GW posters who have chosen to vote in here voted off last. It's not scientific, nor does it purport to be. We've already had lots of pick-your-favorite-polls in the Forum, and I'm sure we'll have more in future, and that's why I think a survivor-style poll is a refreshing change.

Comment

Round... OMG! 91!
                          In the Line of Duty
                          Fragile Balance
                          The Tok'Ra, Part 2

Comment

Round 91:

48 Hours
                            Full Circle
                            Nemesis (round 40)
                            Absolute Power

*Changeling dodges the bullet once again!*

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                              I can see what you are getting at, however I'm not sure everybody can disassociate themselves and their personal opinions enough to vote strictly on a "best" episode vs. "favorite" episode standpoint. Besides, why would I want them to? What I think is "best" and what they think are "best" are going to differ anyway...that's the whole point of this poll. And the wonderful comments people make about how they vote are the real eye openers to me. Learning others' personal tastes and what touched/impressed/bothered them in an ep often gives me a fresh way to look at the show. Lots of times folks mention things that I might ignore or overlook, or maybe not even care about. Their opinions don't change mine, but are interesting glimpses into how they think, and why perhaps, an ep that I thought was boring was interpreted completely differently by someone else.

For example, I don't think 2010 was by any means one of the best eps ever and you thought it was "brilliant", yet I consider myself to be voting from an objective viewpoint just like you. I'm not a shipper at all and never vote based on that. You can't assume that because people vote for a supposedly "ship" ep, that they liked it only because of the ship. Sometimes I have to look deeper to appreciate the differences in opinions other than my own. If I look at them as insight into others psyches, not challenges to my personal opinion, they can be very enlightening. It's the differences in us that makes this poll so much fun.

Besides, this poll doesn't decide which ep all Stargate fans think is "best" overall, but which ep the few GW posters who have chosen to vote in here voted off last. It's not scientific, nor does it purport to be. We've already had lots of pick-your-favorite-polls in the Forum, and I'm sure we'll have more in future, and that's why I think a survivor-style poll is a refreshing change.
                              I agree. It's fun to get everyone's different perspectives, even in this unscientific "Survivor" way. I think "Full Circle" was the best episode, warmbeachbrat is voting for it now.

While it's true it's hard to distinguish favorite from best at times, I'll admit if I was truly voting "least favorite", Heroes 2 would have been on my list long ago, but despite my hate of the non-reveal of who was killed, I have to admit it was a beautifully acted and directed episode, so it does not yet get my vote.

Also, as a 2010 voter this round, it's not the Joe/Sam ship that got me. I love Ambassador Joe. There were a lot of well-done scenes, but I found the climactic death scene a little over the top with the slo-mo deaths etc, and some of the scene changes a bit abrupt (they did pack a lot into this ep--and yet there was much left unspoken/unseen). That's JMHO of course, others differ. There are a lot of great parts of it too, which is why I haven't voted for it before the last couple of rounds, but there are other eps I thought were better...or I liked more, or whatever the definition seems to be.

P.S. da hippie, hope I'm not throwing off your vote count too much with the aside conversation.

Comment

Upgrades
                                Heroes, Part 2

Missed a couple rounds. Came back and - Yay - Into the Fire was gone! Finally!

Great discussion about best vs. favorites. Personally (and I went into detail about this a looooong time ago, but few probably remember), I try hard to base my personal rankings on both considerations.

That is, my rankings are simultaneously subjective and objective. If that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't. Which is why it took 6 hours to create my rankings, and why they are still constantly changing.

To try to clarify - My top 20 eps are:
                                20. The Other Side
                                19. The Torment of Tantalus
                                18. Full Circle
                                17. Shades of Grey
                                16. Fair Game
                                15. Revelations
                                14. 48 Hours
                                13. Menace
                                12. Small Victories
                                11. The Changeling
                                10. Maternal Instinct
                                9. Abyss
                                8. Window of Opportunity
                                7. The Fifth Race
                                6. Nemesis
                                5. Absolute Power
                                4. Scorched Earth
                                3. Exodus
                                2. Meridian
                                1. Enemies

If I were basing my list entirely on "objective best" eps (the eps that were the best in terms of writing, directing, story, plot, character development, moral depth, acting, SFX, etc.), my top 10 would probably look more like this:
                                10. Singularity
                                9. In the Line of Fire
                                8. Menace
                                7. CotG
                                6. The Fifth Race
                                5. Absolute Power
                                4. Shades of Grey
                                3. Meridian
                                2. Window of Opportunity
                                1. The Changeling

And if I were basing my list entirely on my favorites (the eps I most enjoy watching), my top 10 would probably look more like this:
                                10. The Gamekeeper
                                9. Absolute Power
                                8. Crystal Skull
                                7. Menace
                                6. Abyss
                                5. Scorched Earth
                                4. Exodus
                                3. Window of Opportunity
                                2. Enemies
                                1. Maternal Instinct

But instead, I try to base it on both. Hope that helps explain.
                                Last edited by Katerine; 08 November 2005, 07:44 AM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Working...
                                X