Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossover fun with Photoshop! - a little silly ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, my sig fits this thread pretty well. *points to sig*

I'm sorry if I'm over-doing the whole being excited about my new sig thing....
    Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
      Hey, my sig fits this thread pretty well. *points to sig*

I'm sorry if I'm over-doing the whole being excited about my new sig thing....
      Not at all. I quite enjoy it.
      (Technically, though, it would be "Crossover fun with GIMP" . . . )
      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
        Blast! I had it all done, and then I ended up saving it to who-knows-where on my computer. I can't find it anywhere. Sorry . . .
        I hate it when I do that too! Just use your computer's search function. You'll find it!

BTW: I like your Cadman avatar. I liked Cadman! I hoped they would make that character a regular part of the cast...maybe as a love interest for Rodney or Carson. But she was gone as soon as she appeared.

However, I think the actress is L.A. based. She had a major role on General Hospital for a couple of years, which is why I think that. Maybe she didn't like the travel to Vancouver...or wasn't available because of another gig. If anyone knows, I'd be interested in knowing.

Sorry...that was a little OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
          I've been thinking about trying my hand at a PS crossover... It's OK as long as we don't put actors heads on the wrong bodies, right? Like... if I put a pic of Shep on the bridge of the Enterprise.... that would be OK, right?
          bah humbug! I put Shep, McKay and Carson on Kirk, Spock and McCoy and everyone (including Joe Flanigan) loved it. That rule they got of 'no head swapping' is daft...I only took it to mean 'no head swapping onto nekkid peoples' bodies' or tasteless stuff like that...I agree that would be wrong in every way, but funny stuff and 'movie crossovers' - hell, that's what this thread was about wasn't it? :roll eyes:
          sigpic
          My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy View Post
            bah humbug! I put Shep, McKay and Carson on Kirk, Spock and McCoy and everyone (including Joe Flanigan) loved it. That rule they got of 'no head swapping' is daft...I only took it to mean 'no head swapping onto nekkid peoples' bodies' or tasteless stuff like that...I agree that would be wrong in every way, but funny stuff and 'movie crossovers' - hell, that's what this thread was about wasn't it? :roll eyes:
            Sure... but I can understand why they don't like it. Even if Joe found it amusing it doesn't mean all the actors feel the same way. We don't know what they would think, that's why the mods out-lawed it.

I'm just going to stick to moving people from show to show, and not putting one's head an another's body. That said, I LOVE everything you've done,LCEb.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think there's any harm done either...in most cases. I love your stuff and always look forward to seeing more of it!!! Everyone here is so creative! That's why I enjoy this thread so much. However, I think from the perspective of overseeing the thread, the mods are most likely worried about one of two things:

1. Someone doing something disrespectful (i.e., putting a SG character's head on a nude body)

or

2. Copyright issues that might result in lawsuits against Gateworld for allowing the images to be posted here.

Lt.Col.Errandboy, don't you work in an ad agency? I used to, and I can see the legalities of those things both being concerns for Darren, as owner of the site. I think that's why the rules exist. Darren is just an individual. Gateworld is fan-run...so he certainly wouldn't want to open himself up to legal action.

I don't think there's anyone in this thread currently who would create something disrespectful and post it here. However, there are people in fandom who would, and I think it is for that reason (and the copyright laws) that the rules exist.

But...as long as you can still make them, place them elsewhere and link to them from here...we still get to see them!

An true example of the copyright issues in Stargate fandom for anyone who wants to read:
              Spoiler:
              A friend of mine ran a Sam/Jack Shipper Store in Cafepress.com. Her stuff was almost completely original. However, someone (MGM, I think, but I'm not sure) ran a check on the store and forced the site to remove many of her items...mainly because they used the Stargate font...which she had purchased! She had a mug that said Jack & Sam Shipper and used the Earth Symbol as the letter "A" on the mug...and it was removed. I remember that one specifically because I meant to buy one and didn't get around to it in time. I also thought that was ridiculous since she had bought the font and the design was original.

So...that's how picky corporations can be.

I want to point out that the info I've relayed about the reasons against some manips are my own conclusions, based on what I've observed during almost three years at Gateworld. If anyone wants to know for certain, they should pose a question to a mod. Darren is on the site quite often, and would probably be glad to answer the question. Skydiver is also very friendly and approachable, and she's around almost every day.

Please forgive my long ramble. I know this has been an issue of concern on this thread, and I wanted to try to elaborate on the background a bit to help people understand that the rules probably are not arbitrary.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Blast! I had it all done, and then I ended up saving it to who-knows-where on my computer. I can't find it anywhere. Sorry . . .
                Aw nutz!
                Seriously tho, not a problem.:-)

Heh, I bet Rodney could find it!
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

Not at all. I quite enjoy it.
                  (Technically, though, it would be "Crossover fun with GIMP" . . . )
                  Eh, it counts too, or, at least I hope so, I've been posting "Crossover fun with pencil, pen and paper" I hope it's ok too

Not actually posting the images would make sense for copyright reasons, but in that case we wouldn't be allowed to post images at all, like a picture of Samus in front of the gate (ala Myn's sig) would be allowed by the no-head-on-body rule but not allowed by the copyright rule.

kinda an older pic... but I hope it might help cheer us up... even tho I think it violates copyrights.... I'm gonna post anyway.

um... (c) http://www.m-ms.com/

Comment

Ha! Those are great, neb.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nebulan View Post
                      Not actually posting the images would make sense for copyright reasons, but in that case we wouldn't be allowed to post images at all, like a picture of Samus in front of the gate (ala Myn's sig) would be allowed by the no-head-on-body rule but not allowed by the copyright rule.
                      See, I think the issue is where you post the images. If you post something here that ultimately results in a copyright lawsuit, I think Darren could be named as a co-defendant and could be sued. As an individual, that would be devastating, and I think Gateworld's policies might be extra conservative because of that. If you post on another site where the owners are not that sensitive, or are protected by layers of corporate attorneys, then those site owners wouldn't be at such a disadvantage in defending themselves as an individual would.

But again, I'm just guessing. A mod could provide better info.

BTW--love the M & Ms stuff!

Comment

Is this what you wanted, RiG?

|| twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                          I don't think there's any harm done either...in most cases. I love your stuff and always look forward to seeing more of it!!!
                          Thanks! I love doing them!

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                          Lt.Col.Errandboy, don't you work in an ad agency? I used to, and I can see the legalities of those things both being concerns for Darren, as owner of the site. I think that's why the rules exist. Darren is just an individual. Gateworld is fan-run...so he certainly wouldn't want to open himself up to legal action..
                          No, I work for the government actually, but yeah, as a designer. Believe me I know about the whole sticking point with copyright. However, as I'm not charging money or people are not BUYING these manips, I tend to think the coypright of images on the net is a bit more relaxed. Hell, if the net images were copyright, we'd have to pay for every download! So there's gotta be some leeway. Just look at long running sites like Worth1000 - if every image photoshopped there was subject to copyright, they wouldn't have a single image in there! And there would be no "Dubya as Chimp" pics to be seen! THAT would be a tragedy! See? nobody makes a hue and cry about politicians being photoshopped in weird ways *unless the CIA 'disappears' them...oooooooooh!!!!*

I am quite good at 'self-regulation' and there is NO WAY I would disrespect any of the Atlantis cast by photoshopping them in any 'compromising' images. As I've stated to the mods here, I do only fun stuff. If anyone is offended by anything (as the mods have ALSO pointed out) they can report me & the image will be snipped. Anyway, I cleared it all up with Sky - it was the SIZE of my images that were the problem mainly!! (doesn't help being a designer who has two 24 inch monitors & hi-speed connection for making them - the hard part is remembering that some poor sods out ther only have dial-up and 15 inch screens!)

I just want to see this thread continue to have 'fun' manips...head swops and all!
                          sigpic
                          My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Thanks! I love doing them!

No, I work for the government actually, but yeah, as a designer. Believe me I know about the whole sticking point with copyright. However, as I'm not charging money or people are not BUYING these manips, I tend to think the coypright of images on the net is a bit more relaxed. Hell, if the net images were copyright, we'd have to pay for every download! So there's gotta be some leeway. Just look at long running sites like Worth1000 - if every image photoshopped there was subject to copyright, they wouldn't have a single image in there! And there would be no "Dubya as Chimp" pics to be seen! THAT would be a tragedy! See? nobody makes a hue and cry about politicians being photoshopped in weird ways *unless the CIA 'disappears' them...oooooooooh!!!!*

I am quite good at 'self-regulation' and there is NO WAY I would disrespect any of the Atlantis cast by photoshopping them in any 'compromising' images. As I've stated to the mods here, I do only fun stuff. If anyone is offended by anything (as the mods have ALSO pointed out) they can report me & the image will be snipped. Anyway, I cleared it all up with Sky - it was the SIZE of my images that were the problem mainly!! (doesn't help being a designer who has two 24 inch monitors & hi-speed connection for making them - the hard part is remembering that some poor sods out ther only have dial-up and 15 inch screens!)

I just want to see this thread continue to have 'fun' manips...head swops and all!
                            LOL--I work for a government agency too--in media relations, after working 20+ years as a reporter/anchor and later, as a news director. I agree with you about the Dubya as Chimp photos, etc. But it seems that GW's rules are a little more conservative. Regardless of the reason (and I'm just speculating, as I said), GW has always had great access to actors and showrunners, and it may also be concerned about anything that might put that in jeopardy. As I said, I don't think there's anyone on this thread who would ever do anything disrespectful. But there are others in fandom who would.

Everyone just seemed so upset that I was trying to provide a little rationale for why GW's policies are so strict. I may be totally wrong (but I don't think so). However, a mod could provide the best info.

Let me also say, that I thoroughly enjoy everything the people on this thread create! And I'm not surprised that Joe liked your work either...because it's great! I just think GW may have other reasons for its rules. That's all.

Ramble over!

Comment

Is this what you wanted, RiG?

YES!!! Iz perfect!!! Thanx!!!
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                                YES!!! Iz perfect!!! Thanx!!!
                                Great! You're welcome.
                                || twitter || tumblr ||