Civil Defense (413)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmm View Post
    I need a few days to forget all the good and bad things I have read here. Otherwise I'll read the episode biased.
    That's a good point.

But yeah, everyone should have their own oppinion. I personally don't think it's a bad episode. It's actually pretty good. There's just some things that I think came short mainly due to time constraints. So I hope what I said about it doesn't sound negative, because by all means, for me personally there's more positive aspects to the episode than negative ones.

Next time I'll avoid reading episode's threads until I have read the episode. I need to remember to check the horizon web site instead of GW to get the link
    Yeah. Especially since you could run into major spoilers by reading the episode threads before having read the episode.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I liked the episode, which becomes one of my season's favs. so far. Some people are dissapointed and I understand that, because the first part did set high spectations. I thing the problem here is there's too much information and too much sub-plots to run and to bring them to good port. May be a three-parter could solve some of these problems, specially the "too-packed" space battle part. Those scenes need leading roles when they start and cutting them too often to show personal conflict but yet quieter scenes... well, sometimes doesn't work properly or at least, so good as pretended.

Anyway, the episode had tension and character development, specially for Christine. It is true that, sometimes, too much characters slow or block up the main plot. That should be corrected in the future IMO.

I love the final scene. Those are typical SG-scenes: bringing a last minute surprise to get the audience thinking in the new possibilities! And Chase returning and related with those unknown aliens bring us more than a bunch of possibilities
      sigpic
      ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
      - That's a lie!!!
      - Indeed it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
        May be a three-parter could solve some of these problems, specially the "too-packed" space battle part.
        I briefly thought about that actually, but felt there wasn't enough story to justify a third episode. As I was saying, it was pretty challenging for a while, and a little frustrating because we had to lose some things that I really liked.

Anyway, the episode had tension and character development, specially for Christine.
        Yeah, I'd consider this one definitely more of a Christine episode. And I liked the chemistry between her and Evan. As you know we had the idea to bring him back for a while, ever since his brief appearance at the end of Season Three.

It is true that, sometimes, too much characters slow or block up the main plot.
        Generally an episode will focus on either one or two of the characters. But on occassion there'll be some team episodes as well.

And Chase returning and related with those unknown aliens bring us more than a bunch of possibilities
        Those aliens will play a major role as the season progresses.
        Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Ok. Short version: Mixed bag episode.

Long version:
          I really liked Christine (and the little *cai'nan torture* by Sivea - more of this later), but was rather appalled by everyone else. Most characters were underused and I'll say it again: Woolsey was completely out of character. It would have been better to have kept this character unnamed. Plus Kevin turned into a spineless character once he was exposed and stopped.
          But what disappointed me extremely was the Enoly cruiser situation.
          1) Having read back the episode and the build-up, the cruiser gets out of a magic bag, no crumbs leading to a *hey, maybe there is a spaceship out there* or *of course, the ship, how silly of me for not noticing earlier* moment before learning it out of the blue. I would have expected a more creative method and foe (somehow reflecting the cunning they used to stage the situation), using ships is a bit overdone in Stargate (Fortunately Chapovsky didn't turn out to be a Goa'uld)
          2) The Russians on board - I wonder why they didn't push the self-destruct button and save us of a few minutes worth of pointless space battle. Is Chapovsky the Russian word for "No brains"? Lets see.... We are in a no-win situation and we force ourselves into a fight we can't possibly win. They should have retreated elsewhere and wait for a proper time to strike or do something more effective than letting themselves killed.
          3) Editing. I don't know if I'm reading too much between lines but it seems to me that this episode was a lot longer and was cut down severely due to length and pace. The pace was good, but the story felt a bit "skippy"
          4) US Intelligence Agencies: I think in Stargate (SG-1/Atlantis/Horizon, take your pick!) they could be renamed US Goofing-Around Agencies considering how easily top government and military officials almost got away with a coup without raising a few flags along the way.

The good:
          Christine, Christine, Christine... this season is turning into a Christine growth and shine season. In particular this episode (and its buildup) could be considered Christine centered (And Survival Instinct earlier)
          Her character was only a tad short of brilliant and I'm sure if we could see the episode on screen, Ms. Leigh Cook would have given us a very strong performance.
          Sivea performing cai'nan torture.... very funny (to us, not the Russian guy) considering what we know about Sivea's stance on the use of her cai'nan abilities.
          The spin on Evan. Nicely done. I really liked how he turned to the *good* side without losing his *appealing* ego, and that in the previous episode we were let to believe he was part of the conspiracy... wait a minute maybe he is... a good character and we don't know where his allegiances are or if he has an agenda of his own (very likely)

Mixed bag: Gandalf.... Chase the Gray and the final scene interaction. Cool but felt forced (read squeezed) into the end. Probably with some shrewd editing could turn into those scenes that make a turning point in a series.

** out of 4 (Mainly because of the letdown from the previous episode and Chapovsky)
          Last edited by jmm; 11 March 2008, 04:20 PM. Reason: Some spelling

Comment

I actually rather enjoyed Chris. I had been hoping Chris might kill Kevin but we'll be getting some angst either way, that much is obvious. But the treat is Chase. I figured it was the Soloman aliens as soon as Woolsey mentioned aliens 8-) but it's the meat of that story that's interesting.

Moving the Gate to Antartica...lil' bit too cliched in the Stargate universe for my liking. Always Antartica. Wouldn't hurt to have some tropical island or the moon, would it? But otherwise, what they all said ^^
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
              This show has too many main characters. Episodes are staggering under their weight: this cannot go on. The characters are not being developed, and they're not interacting well enough.

Every good character is invincible. Come on - Evan lives, but Brewer and the hapless extra die? That's a hard sell. How much training does Evan have in hand-to-hand combat, versus a major in the armed services? I'd think the latter would have a bit more training.
              I'm not the only one. And I'm quite sure you'll disagree with us but I stand by every previous statement I've made regarding the number of characters. There are just too many. Do something.
              sigpic

Comment

It was an easy enough read but I must admit I failed to see how these secret meetings could have led anyone to get so panicky about them all. Yes, I understand it was all to do with a coup but simply knowing that they had secret meetings wouldn’t have been enough. I think I recall there being mention of phone conversation transcripts, perhaps it might have had more impact if we’d have seen something said on these transcripts or some sort of audio surveillance to make a bigger impact. Unless I’m missing something because I’m not politically minded :/

And, of course, Chase shows up again! I can’t quite remember how it all played out but it is nice to see Chase again.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X