No announcement yet.

The Gateway of the Gods (401 & 402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just done reading the spectacular premiere and first of all -yup, one more time, I'm a cliche too -: congrats to all the team.

In fact, this ep. matches all the good points that all the season premieres of a sci-fi show must have: a few recaps, a few changes in the starring characters, a couple of surprises, a torrent of FX and yet a sense of continuity. From my POV, all of them are in this movie-size premiere and all of them run smooth enough, even taking into account the new character.

Daniel: Well... This Danny is the good old Dr. Jackson. I'd bet on that before, but reading his dialogs only confirm that to me. But I'm a little suspicious by nature, so I wanted to check it out myself. After the first encounter with Chris and the arrive on Horizon I stoped the reading and checked a random SG1 episode: confirmed, he is really he! BUT, I missed only a thing from him (sorry if somebody has bring this one up before! I hate repeating things ). When he elaborate the issue about the writings and the Keepers stuff with Chris I missed a brief note like "with his typical, long, appasionate and speedy explanations..." or something like that. It's the way he explains himself and the way all of us come to know him elaborating on this kind of issues Oh, and I missed a little reference about his age. GW.net stablish that "Daniel was probably born in 1965. His birthday is on July 8.", so he's now around 50? That's a point to taking into account, isn't it?

Dureg/Nossy: What could I say about him/it? It's the bad guy in charge of the moment. We'll have Enoly, Draque, syndicalists (LoL) and more, but Nossy is the N. 1. The guy have already all the necessary features to keep on the breach for the time being. Typical sci-fi and required stuff

Chuck's: Fits. It was the required place which the earthlings did need to make finally at home. Shall we bet about who could be the 'Norm' of this our good little Cheers in space? Nice place indeed

John and Sivea with the same type of father?: They match so good that may be the thing can't be. That could be a shame :/

The (OMG-I can't believe it!) cease fire with the Enoly (it's hard to keep naming them as Ascendant Empire, at least to me...) was a good idea, but the absence of Loral herself on this episode give to it a little odd feeling. Like: "ok, we have a cease fire here but tomorrow she'll show up and the thing will blow up immediately and you know that well enough!!" LoL Kinda odd.

Well, that's all from me The episode matches what I've expected from it and I'm already looking forward to the next one

Thank you guys!
    sigpic
    ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
    - That's a lie!!!
    - Indeed it is...

Comment

nice series so far....just wish you guys would pick a website....I never knew you guys moved to freewebs....

and just to let you know I have every single episode saved to my computer....so if you so desire I can voluntarily serve as an offsite backup and so if anything happens to your website just drop me a line and I'll email you guys the zip archive of what I saved.....

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, but I do share some of Ryu Gaia's opinions. The addition of Daniel, though a welcome face, seemed forced at times, and some of the plots were repeats from "SG-1".

That said, I understand how hard it is to come up with new things all the time, and borrowing isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I liked this episode overall, so I give it a:

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post

Daniel: Well... This Danny is the good old Dr. Jackson. I'd bet on that before, but reading his dialogs only confirm that to me. But I'm a little suspicious by nature, so I wanted to check it out myself. After the first encounter with Chris and the arrive on Horizon I stoped the reading and checked a random SG1 episode: confirmed, he is really he! BUT, I missed only a thing from him (sorry if somebody has bring this one up before! I hate repeating things ). When he elaborate the issue about the writings and the Keepers stuff with Chris I missed a brief note like "with his typical, long, appasionate and speedy explanations..." or something like that. It's the way he explains himself and the way all of us come to know him elaborating on this kind of issues Oh, and I missed a little reference about his age. GW.net stablish that "Daniel was probably born in 1965. His birthday is on July 8.", so he's now around 50? That's a point to taking into account, isn't it?

That's what was missing. I just couldn't think about it. Daniel would be in his late 40's actually, but close enough. That brings up a question. Would he be doing more commanding than action? He is a department head now.
          [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
          HARRIMAN
          I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
          [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
          HARRIMAN
          So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Nice season opener

I wonder..
            - when/if we'll see this gate again and how it'll come in to play.
            - what other memories form Daniels ascended time will come to him again?
            - if this is really the end of Dureg or if Nosah'trah is still linked to a host? (it didn't seem that way though)
            - if we'll see guest appearances of ohter SG-1 characters with Daniel on board

I was a little bit surprised to see the Asgard tech integrated in the Bellerophon so soon... I mean, since Horizon takes place like seven years after "Unending", i had expected at least a better explanation as to why it took so long to get the Bellerophon upgraded.
            That aside, I do like these upgrades. I hope they'll come in very handy in upcoming episodes.

As to the surprise (the theme)... I found it a little disappointing. I liked the promotional theme from season one from Ringblom better; it sounded more drama to me.

That said, bring on the next episodes.

Ancala

Comment

will we see more of the whole john/sivea relationship playing out over the course of season four?

Comment

Daniel may be in his forties but so was colonel Jack O'neil. when he finished up 10 years with SG-1 and was put in charge of the SGC. Jack was in his late 30's, when it started.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
                  I have to say, Daniel felt a little strange. But I guess that's what happens when you write for a huge character from a actual TV show.
                  Well, Daniel is in a different situation and environment here. So naturally he'd feel a little different. But I think from just a character perspective, this was definitely Daniel, down to the little details of how he talks (i.e. he uses "You see" a lot when explaining things). I actually spent a lot of time just studying how he talks by watching SG-1 episodes that are Daniel centric. So I got to watch Stargate, and say it's for research purposes.

You just need to have his voice and his fast way of talking in mind, and you'll realize that it's definitely Daniel. But with regard to him being in a new situation, it will and should take a while for him to really blend in, of course. Just the way it would be for anyone finding themselves in such a new environment.
                  Last edited by Alex Rubit; 19 March 2008, 09:58 AM.
                  Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDER SIVOK View Post
                    Speaking of Chase I really miss him already he was my favorite. This may sound wierd but I never liked that he was Ben Browder I aways pictured him as trip from startrek enterprise.

Keep up the GREAT work can't wait for the rest of the season. and more Sivok episode to come love it.
                    Hey, great to see you here again!

We definitely haven't seen the last of Chase. And some really great Sivok moments will be coming up in "Eden."

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
                      Chuck's: Fits. It was the required place which the earthlings did need to make finally at home. Shall we bet about who could be the 'Norm' of this our good little Cheers in space? Nice place indeed
                      Yeah, we all love Chuck's. Actually I'm headed there tonight for a round of pool. If anyone wants to join me, you have the directions, don't you?

John and Sivea with the same type of father?: They match so good that may be the thing can't be. That could be a shame :/
                      Hmmm. Who knows where things will be going eventually?

The (OMG-I can't believe it!) cease fire with the Enoly (it's hard to keep naming them as Ascendant Empire, at least to me...) was a good idea, but the absence of Loral herself on this episode give to it a little odd feeling. Like: "ok, we have a cease fire here but tomorrow she'll show up and the thing will blow up immediately and you know that well enough!!" LoL Kinda odd.
                      We'll be seeing and hearing from Loral in "Reunited."

Well, that's all from me The episode matches what I've expected from it and I'm already looking forward to the next one

Thank you guys!
                      Thank you for reading. Looking forward to seeing what you think about the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        nice series so far....just wish you guys would pick a website....I never knew you guys moved to freewebs....
                        Really just out of necessity. Hopefully we'll be back at our usual domain soon.

and just to let you know I have every single episode saved to my computer....so if you so desire I can voluntarily serve as an offsite backup and so if anything happens to your website just drop me a line and I'll email you guys the zip archive of what I saved.....
                        Thanks, that's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPeterson View Post
                          I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, but I do share some of Ryu Gaia's opinions. The addition of Daniel, though a welcome face, seemed forced at times, and some of the plots were repeats from "SG-1".
                          What you may consider "repeats," I much rather look at as "classic Stargate." One of the central themes of Stargate has always been alien life forms posing as gods, and the fact that Nosah'trah does so is nothing new to the series. In fact, this has been set up since "Preemptive Strike" in Season Two, when Dureg came back, having suddenly found his religion. Due to the Sentinels having "brought him back from the dead."

So the fact that Nosah'trah shares this "god complex" is something that's consistent ever since the ending of Season Two. I actually strongly agree with something the writers of SG-1 and Atlantis have said; very often it's not necessarily a matter of doing a story that's never been done before (you simply couldn't on a weekly basis, with all the sci-fi that's already been done), it's more a matter of finding a new spin on this story or element, and finding something that makes it unique to our characters. That's exactly what I think we've done with this particular storyline.

That being said, there's also a lot of things that haven't been done before. For example the cease fire with the Ascendant Empire.

That said, I understand how hard it is to come up with new things all the time, and borrowing isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I liked this episode overall, so I give it a:

I wouldn't say we "borrow" anything. It sounds too much like "rip off."

In my opinion it's more like what I just said above.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancala View Post
                            I was a little bit surprised to see the Asgard tech integrated in the Bellerophon so soon... I mean, since Horizon takes place like seven years after "Unending", i had expected at least a better explanation as to why it took so long to get the Bellerophon upgraded.
                            That aside, I do like these upgrades. I hope they'll come in very handy in upcoming episodes.
                            The explanation is that it's not been seven years since "Unending," while, of course, technically it should. But after all, we just saw the Asgard in Season Three. So technically "Unending," for us, happened between Seasons Three and Four. That way we can stick to canon, even though it does take some slight creative freedom.

As to the surprise (the theme)... I found it a little disappointing. I liked the promotional theme from season one from Ringblom better; it sounded more drama to me.
                            Well, the great thing is you can listen to both.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                              will we see more of the whole john/sivea relationship playing out over the course of season four?
                              Indeed, we will.

Comment

I really loved the season premiere, it feels so much like Stargate feels, Daniel is written really well. The peace treaty with the Enoly won't last to much longer.

I think Dureg really is dead but Nosa'trah is still well, pity about the inter-dimensional gate. The asguard laser beams are totally wicked should have less issues with the Enoly now as the Alteran drones can phase through their shields they'd have weaker shields then that of the Ori.

Loved the opening theme, all whats missing now is an actual video sequence

Comment

Working...
                                X