New Stargate Bad Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stargate Bad Guys

Plenty of people write fanfictions that continue the SG franchise from a new season to a completely new series and, often, introducing a new enemy.

So, let's say you were creating one of the above (a new season for an existing series or a new spin off series), what new foe would you create? What are the motivations? His technological capabilities? Would there be any named characters (like the Goa'uld), or will they be feared as a force and not as individuals (like the Wraith for the most part)? ect...

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Interesting question!

I find it often feels that many fanfics of the type you describe "recycle" the bad guys, with the "new" bad guys feeling very much like the old ones (to be fair, I find the shows themselves had the same problem with the Ori, who with their "we are gods, worship us!"-shtick in many ways felt like a rehash of the Goa'uld). Alternatively, other fics make the new bad guys ungodly overpowered in terms of firepower to make them a threat (and again, the shows are guilty of that themselves) which I find annoying in its own right.

I'd need to think about it more to give you an answer.

P.S.: when it comes to "new bad guys", there is one avenue that I haven't seen explored often but which could be both fun and fresh -- the "main" universe is invaded by an SGC/whomever from a "mirror-'verse" (who need something from the "main" 'verse), with villainous!versions of everyone's favourite heroes being the bad-guys. No need for power-creep to make the villains scary and the "entropic cascade failure" makes thing interesting because now the bad guys have a set amount of time to do their thing before they need to return to their own 'verse.

So something like the bad guys from the episode "Ripple Effect" but stretched out over a season and with ships and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by incognito View Post
      P.S.: when it comes to "new bad guys", there is one avenue that I haven't seen explored often but which could be both fun and fresh -- the "main" universe is invaded by an SGC/whomever from a "mirror-'verse" (who need something from the "main" 'verse), with villainous!versions of everyone's favourite heroes being the bad-guys. No need for power-creep to make the villains scary and the "entropic cascade failure" makes thing interesting because now the bad guys have a set amount of time to do their thing before they need to return to their own 'verse.

So something like the bad guys from the episode "Ripple Effect" but stretched out over a season and with ships and whatnot.
      Oh, I'd definitely read that one! They've never truly explored that kind of storyline apart from "Ripple Effect", but I've always thought that with (as Sam said) the "endless variations" of alternate realities out there, you'd see less desirable versions of our heroes than we've seen. It'd at least feel like a more realistic approach, as things can happen to even make inherently good guys become desperate bad guys.

As for what kind of new bad guy I might've created... I'm feeling inspired by series like Babylon 5 or Star Trek (any series). It would've been interesting to see something other than a humanoid alien race. Maybe something that initially looks like an unstoppable phenomenon, but is actually a kind of intelligent entity, like just pure simple darkness. Imagine having darkness itself just engulfing the galaxy as you knew it, scrambling all sensors and communication devices, making everyone trail around without seeing where they're going (or crashing into), unable to contact each other. That'd be pretty terrifying, I'd imagine, and they'd be forced to start from scratch again, which would be interesting to see. As for how the heroes would resist it: I've got no idea. It'd be apocalyptic, though. Without the sun, people wouldn't be able to grow food and chaos would ensue.

Hmm, I'm wondering if I just gave myself an idea for the Apocalypse Kree challenge...
      "If I should die, think only this of me: / That there's some corner of a foreign field / That is forever [Earth]."
      Earth is gone, but Atlantis must survive... Apoca!fic. Post-Season 5. John/Sam.

Comment

Working...
      X