Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyBoyFanGirl View Post
    500 words.
    FG, there have been nights when I couldn't even participate, even though I had the time--my mind just wasn't in the game. I'm pretty proud of my 557; you should be proud of yours.

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
    Very nice simile.
    Thank you! Trying to keep with the Native American/cowboy theme for story. It's tough, since the last western I saw was Young Guns (unless you count Firefly).

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
    Okay, so I'll admit to have taken a leisurely stroll through most of the day before sprinting tonight.

Tonight's sprint is a total of 3,014 words, with 1,252 words before that. The chapter as a whole wound up being......

4,917 words. Some of that might (will) be edited out.
    Holy cow! Great job, lg!
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I lied. The last western I saw was Maverick. I love that movie!
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I've never been a fan of Westerns the only exception being Firefly which, let's face it, was sci-fi which I always love. There are two exceptions to my intense dislike of Westerns: Shane and Jeremiah Johnson. Love those two movies! (Except, I still can't watch the part with the wolves in Jeremiah Johnson...)
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I'm not usually a fan of westerns, but I love them when the characters are intelligent, sarcastic and full of humor. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is an absolute classic for that--it was one of my mom's favorite movies and we watched it whenever it was on. Yup, back in the days before you could buy 'em and before DVR & Netflix.

Firefly was definitely a great show and is the inspiration for my original fic, although my fic has nothing to do with the Firefly world.
          sigpic

Comment

Okay... so... I've been seeing a new guy for about a month now (SaraBahama knows all about this from an IM session) and he tells me he was never very much into scifi. As in, he's read just a handful of classic Jules Verne and H.G. Wells -- not all of it even scifi -- and he read Orwell's 1984. Never watched much scifi growing up or as a young man (he's 51, just three years older than I am), other than a few episodes of certain shows like Logan's Run, etc. Never was a Trekkie, has never watched Stargate, has barely heard of most other shows like Firefly, for instance.

He loves classic movies and literature, however, and for that matter all kinds of other movies. He appreciates well-written material and has written a couple of screenplays himself, though nothing ever happened with them and I don't think he's done anything like that in years. And he loves Westerns. I was never terribly into Westerns, and he keeps telling me how much he adores Gunsmoke -- the oldest episodes of it, in black & white, especially. Meanwhile, I really want to introduce him to scifi in such a way that he will hopefully really like it... so I mentioned to him that he would probably enjoy Firefly. I suggested we watch some episodes together, and he kind of chuckled and then suggested I should watch Gunsmoke with him.

So I'm thinking of telling him I'd like to get together and do a marathon viewing session where we'll watch several episodes of each. What do y'all think?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

As a woman not in that same position, I think it's a great idea.

I've always been a scifi nut, and then my husband introduced me to fantasy.....Yeah, we see pretty much eye-to-eye on most scifi/superhero shows. The exceptions being Firefly and some random cop shows that I enjoy.

However, all that said, I think you're being smart in trying to be interested in what he's interested in. I hope it works out.

Comment

Oh, I definitely want to give attention to what interests him. Fair play, and all of that. I won't ask a guy to join in my interests if I'm not willing to return the favor. And he's already risen to the occasion: I do medieval historical re-creation and invited him early on to attend an event with me. In medieval clothing. He agreed, so we both dressed up in Italian Renaissance garb, traveled to a city halfway across the state, and spent the day exploring one of my crazy hobbies. He seemed to enjoy it. Then I asked him on fairly short notice to attend my friend's burlesque troupe's show with me. The event involved my going in costume, though I told him I didn't expect him to wear a costume unless he really wanted to -- just dressing nicely would satisfy me.

He went to the time and trouble of dressing up like a 1940s gangster, complete with speaking in character, without telling me beforehand that he was going to do it. Just flat-out did it as a surprise (though I'd half-suspected he might, but also half-expected he wouldn't). Quite frankly, I was beyond impressed. He's a sweetheart. And when we got to the event, it turned out that while several of the women including one of my best friends and myself had dressed up, very few of the men had bothered to do so. So then I was doubly impressed and told him so.

Have I mentioned he's a sweetheart?

Therefore, I think I already owe it to him anyway to take an interest in what interests him, and for that matter I would want to simply because that's the best way to learn more about what makes a person tick.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I would SO love to go to a medieval/Renaissance re-enactment one day! Went to one recently of Billy the Kid....That was pretty good.

Seriously, though, my husband was into SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) when we first got together. He was actually trained in armor and swordplay and such. For a time, I considered taking up archery for the same thing. Never did, though I do have a thing for archers.

I would have been impressed, too! Dressing up as a 1940s gangster? And then staying in character? Sounds like he's got a talent for acting somewhere in there.....

And I have a feeling you'll find Westerns a lot more fun with him around.

Comment

I would SO love to go to a medieval/Renaissance re-enactment one day! Went to one recently of Billy the Kid....That was pretty good.

Seriously, though, my husband was into SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) when we first got together. He was actually trained in armor and swordplay and such. For a time, I considered taking up archery for the same thing. Never did, though I do have a thing for archers.
                    Yep, I'm in the SCA. My guy said he enjoyed the event and could see why I like the SCA and the people in it, though he wasn't quite sure he'd attend another one, but he might. I'm hoping he will. Oh, and I'm planning to take up archery myself.

I would have been impressed, too! Dressing up as a 1940s gangster? And then staying in character? Sounds like he's got a talent for acting somewhere in there.....
                    He does, though I don't know when the last time he acted even was. I only know that he starred in one school play in 4th grade, and was stage manager for a play when he was in high school. He claims to be very shy and solitary now, so who knows? But yeah, I can definitely see acting talent there, whether he'd ever use it or not these days. But he had the in-character dialect and accent down pat. I was cracking up so hard I could barely look at him.

And I have a feeling you'll find Westerns a lot more fun with him around.
                    You know, I think that's probably true. Hell, I'd enjoy watching paint dry with him... come to think of it, I may find myself doing that too, since he's planning to repaint some of the rooms in his house and keeps showing me the colors he's picked out...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      Yep, I'm in the SCA. My guy said he enjoyed the event and could see why I like the SCA and the people in it, though he wasn't quite sure he'd attend another one, but he might. I'm hoping he will. Oh, and I'm planning to take up archery myself.
                      Wasn't sure if you'd know SCA, hence why I put it in there. Most people say, "SC-what?"

I've honestly never been to an event because our local group is. . .uh. . .well. . . .*searches for a nice word*

He does, though I don't know when the last time he acted even was. I only know that he starred in one school play in 4th grade, and was stage manager for a play when he was in high school. He claims to be very shy and solitary now, so who knows? But yeah, I can definitely see acting talent there, whether he'd ever use it or not these days. But he had the in-character dialect and accent down pat. I was cracking up so hard I could barely look at him.
                      I can imagine!

While I love drama, I have no talent for being IN the drama. I usually wind up the lady in black behind the scenes, directing things and getting stuff done. Have even written plays for church and such.

You know, I think that's probably true. Hell, I'd enjoy watching paint dry with him... come to think of it, I may find myself doing that too, since he's planning to repaint some of the rooms in his house and keeps showing me the colors he's picked out...

Sometimes, the best guys are those that you can enjoy being around and not have to say anything at all. My husband and I.....Just being in the same room is enough sometimes. And we *never* go to movies! Ever! Both of us like to talk through the movie....."Oh, crap!...No, no, NO! That was dumb!" type of commentary as we're watching. (I picked that up from him!)

Comment

Heheh. I've been known to keep up a similar running commentary...

And it occurs to me that just as I may well find Westerns much more enjoyable when I watch them with him, he might find the same is true of science fiction. I hope so!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Sometimes, the running commentary is as much fun as the movie!

Comment

Even though it was six am for me, I managed to do a personal sprint of nothing related to work, managed to do some edits to one chapter plus write 1,059 words to another. If I can keep this speed up I think I can have this chapter done, along with all edits, by 28 October....

I hope

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Sometimes, the running commentary is as much fun as the movie!
                              Oh, yes! Mystery Science Theater 3000, anyone? Yeah, sometimes it's like that.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

First of all SF&C, congrats! He sounds like a keeper!

MST3000 used to be a fav of Mr WW & I. Nowadays, he watches more Top Gear and football (I watch all to mostly sci-fi) and he reads sci-fi & fantasy. I read romance and sci-fi & I just found what might be a steampunk book set in the old west and dealing with vampires. It's okay. I'm finding a bunch of flaws & I'm not sure yet if it's enough to make me close the book.

Anyone sprinting tonight?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X