No announcement yet.

Fan Fic Writers Sprinting Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful idea, WW! With my daughter going to be traveling after Wednesday, I'll have time!

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    So... we just post what we've produced here? I assume we're trusting that we won't be stealing anyone's ideas, right?

If it was fanfic I wouldn't care, but this novel thing is serious stuff-- stuff I'm not all that sure about, actually, in terms of proprietary/legality issues.
    If we were posting actual snippets of stories, there would be a proprietary/legality issue only if the author decided to pursue it. However, actually pursuing it can get costly.

I have a book already published, and copyright was something I learned a bit about. As soon as an author pens something, there is automatically a copyright attached to it. However, to pursue it, that copyright has to be registered through the Library of Congress, which costs money. So, if we're posting snippets here, it would be based on each person's honor.

Frankly, I love the idea of a thread where we can just talk about the trials of writing. Not so much the particulars of a story as I, too, am working on an original novel I hope to publish, but just the ins and outs of it. Things writers deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Understood, but the function is to put pressure on you to keep you focussed, yes?
      Sort of. I think it's not only the pressure function but also the scheduling. Helping you avoid putting it off.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Understood, but the function is to put pressure on you to keep you focussed, yes?
        Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        Sort of. I think it's not only the pressure function but also the scheduling. Helping you avoid putting it off.

Seaboe
        And there's just something about the solidarity of knowing you're not in it alone.
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Like Seaboe said, it's more about accountability than pressure. Pressure is a very negative way to put it.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
          Exactly!

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
          And there's just something about the solidarity of knowing you're not in it alone.
          And this...
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I love this idea.. wont be able to act on it till my life settles down in the fall... can't wait!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brneyestx View Post
              I love this idea.. wont be able to act on it till my life settles down in the fall... can't wait!!!
              It'll likely be easier for me in the fall, too. Right now, I'm being a lazy slacker, getting up at like 7 or 8 or 9 (today). In my defense, when school's on, I'm up at like 5:30, but during school or not, I'm not able to get to bed much before 11. I was saying at the water cooler that I'm planning on doing NaNo this year and it'll be nice to have 1 1/2 hours of time between the times the boys need to go to school, rather than back-to-back like the past two years have been.

Can't wait to see how much we all begin producing.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Brneyestx View Post

Honestly, there's never really a good time for me. As it is, I'm usually up into the wee hours of the morning (12:30 to 2:00 is a normal bedtime for me. And I'm up and rolling again at 6:30 the next morning. This doesn't seem to change whether or not I'm in school. For me it's all a matter of prioritizing my time. Yesterday was work all day, then housework (dishes and laundry), read ___ pages of book club book (in order to be ready for the club meeting), fix a shirt that needed fixing, find another shirt that I didn't know needed fixing and call mom about it to see if she could fix it (it's way past my level of sewing knowledge, order the dog's supplies since I can't buy them in town, catch up on two TV shows I'd missed last week (I know, I know, doesn't sound terribly important, but for me and my purposes, it is), do some research for my nano book and then finally (finally!) get to bed. And then the insomnia hit. ::sigh::

Anyway, the point is, there's just never a good time for me to work in writing - it's something I've got to sit down and force into my schedule despite how much I love to do it. When school gets into the mix it somehow all gets done (but don't ask me how). Remember the old saying, if you want something done, ask a busy person? Oh, how true that is!

These sorts of things are nice because I can put it on my calendar and say, "tonight, these people are expecting me to show up and write". Somehow that makes it easier for me to justify writing rather than, say, getting that vacuuming done.
                Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                  Honestly, there's never really a good time for me. As it is, I'm usually up into the wee hours of the morning (12:30 to 2:00 is a normal bedtime for me. And I'm up and rolling again at 6:30 the next morning. This doesn't seem to change whether or not I'm in school. For me it's all a matter of prioritizing my time. Yesterday was work all day, then housework (dishes and laundry), read ___ pages of book club book (in order to be ready for the club meeting), fix a shirt that needed fixing, find another shirt that I didn't know needed fixing and call mom about it to see if she could fix it (it's way past my level of sewing knowledge, order the dog's supplies since I can't buy them in town, catch up on two TV shows I'd missed last week (I know, I know, doesn't sound terribly important, but for me and my purposes, it is), do some research for my nano book and then finally (finally!) get to bed. And then the insomnia hit. ::sigh::

Anyway, the point is, there's just never a good time for me to work in writing - it's something I've got to sit down and force into my schedule despite how much I love to do it. When school gets into the mix it somehow all gets done (but don't ask me how). Remember the old saying, if you want something done, ask a busy person? Oh, how true that is!

These sorts of things are nice because I can put it on my calendar and say, "tonight, these people are expecting me to show up and write". Somehow that makes it easier for me to justify writing rather than, say, getting that vacuuming done.
                  Exactly. The time needs to be set aside, penciled in to our schedules sometimes. I know I can count on Saturday nights and now possibly Sundays; the rest of the week is a craps shoot. Tonight, I have "time" in theory to write, but I should be on the phone with my customers, trying to drum up orders. The boys are out at a movie, the house is quiet (reaches back to gently knock on the wooden wall)--maybe a bit of ITB could get done. Or some NaNo research. Nothing official-like.

As for a weekly thing, I'm going to try different days and times and see what works for me. If someone else starts one up, I may be around for that one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey, everyone!

Is there going to be another writing sprint soon? I ask 'cause I'm doing the Camp Nano, and I barely have 4,000 words written, all of them today! So I didn't know if there was one coming up soon.

Comment

Feel free to start one. I very likely won't be able to do one anytime in the next week or so. I'm hoping to do one earlier, as being in CT with all the stuff going on with my folks has left little time and sapped the inspiration right out of me, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd advertise on the Flyboys thread and the Fan Fiction Water Cooler for others to come along and join the fun.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                        Feel free to start one. I very likely won't be able to do one anytime in the next week or so. I'm hoping to do one earlier, as being in CT with all the stuff going on with my folks has left little time and sapped the inspiration right out of me, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'd advertise on the Flyboys thread and the Fan Fiction Water Cooler for others to come along and join the fun.
                        Sounds great! Hmm. . . .Given car situation (namely, needing a new one badly) and payday, might have to set it up for Monday......

Anyone available Monday in the evening, say, 7PM GMT time to do a writer's sprint? Or another time that evening?

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                          Sounds great! Hmm. . . .Given car situation (namely, needing a new one badly) and payday, might have to set it up for Monday......

Anyone available Monday in the evening, say, 7PM GMT time to do a writer's sprint? Or another time that evening?
                          Sadly, 7pm GMT makes it 2pm EST-- which is smack in the middle of my work day. But I'll be setting up a sprint of my own in the near future here, once I need to set aside time to finish up my fic. And that's not even touching my original story that I'm doing for NaNo this year...

Comment

Same problem as Selene--smack in the middle of my work day, but also first day back at school for the boys and I've got to pick up the older one from his school at 2:30 (part of the deal with us being able to keep him at his old school for the next two years despite moving out of zone).

Unfortunately, the next week or two might be bad overall for me. We fly back home from visiting the folks tonight and the next three days are going to be spent catching up with work (deliveries and such), plus Friday is a two hour long "meet the teacher" at my younger boy's school, smack in the middle of the work day (1:30-3:30--who schedules these things???).

This coming week is the kids' first week back at school, like I said, which means loads of paperwork for the parents to fill out and sign; add to that, I've got a convention (sadly, work-related) to attend on Tuesday and Wednesday. Also hubby returns from two weeks of work in D.C. this Sunday night.

I can't even really relax today before the flight. Mom & Dad had a picnic with friends already planned at a state park up the road, so on top of finishing packing our bags and cleaning up our last minute messes (which will otherwise fall to my dad), we have to get ready and go there (and the boys want to hike to the top of the mountain when we get there ), then leave early so we can get to the airport on time. Didn't sleep well last night. I can't wait to get on the plane to get some rest!
                            sigpic

Comment

I typed the wrong time, guys. I'm so sorry!

I meant 7PM MST. However, I'm also available most days during the day if others want to do a sprint some other time.

WW, sounds like you've got a basket full of crazy coming your way! Hope you're able to find some time to relax how you want to relax, even if it's just long enough for a cup of coffee.

Comment

I typed the wrong time, guys. I'm so sorry!

I meant 7PM MST. However, I'm also available most days during the day if others want to do a sprint some other time.

WW, sounds like you've got a basket full of crazy coming your way! Hope you're able to find some time to relax how you want to relax, even if it's just long enough for a cup of coffee.
                                I thought it was weird that you were posting GMT, not MST! I will try to join you in that case (unless I've dropped from exhaustion by then). And yes, lg, "a basket full of crazy" is a great way to describe it. At this point, I'd kill for a good cup of coffee that I don't have to go out to get and my very own, comfortable bed to sleep in.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X