No announcement yet.

Why do you write fan fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a chance to create and visit strange new worlds.
    To create new civilisations...
    And to boldly go where no writer has gone before.

And to get my creative mind working.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
      It's a chance to create and visit strange new worlds.
      To create new civilisations...
      And to boldly go where no writer has gone before.

And to get my creative mind working.
      And hey what the hell Im I gonna do with my free time otherwise
      sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

I write fanfiction for some of the reasons mentioned above, the fact that you get almost instant feedback, but also in the case of like Stargate, in the show some of the minor characters didn't really get that much attention and there were one or two that I liked, mainly Colonel Reynolds and Major Davies, who while they did appear in it a bit more then some, I still would have liked to have seen them more. So with fanfic you get to explore the minor characters more and flesh them out a little. And I like the ideas that people come up with and like others have mentioned, you can expand on a certain scene in an episode or write an extra bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to become a writer and get published, but I haven't even started writing anything like that. But I just love fanfiction too much to give it up.
        sigpic
        McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
        Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
        ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
          I write fanfiction for some of the reasons mentioned above, the fact that you get almost instant feedback, but also in the case of like Stargate, in the show some of the minor characters didn't really get that much attention and there were one or two that I liked, mainly Colonel Reynolds and Major Davies, who while they did appear in it a bit more then some, I still would have liked to have seen them more. So with fanfic you get to explore the minor characters more and flesh them out a little. And I like the ideas that people come up with and like others have mentioned, you can expand on a certain scene in an episode or write an extra bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to become a writer and get published, but I haven't even started writing anything like that. But I just love fanfiction too much to give it up.
          Spoilered sections have been pointed out as being OT. Read at your own risk...

Spoiler:
          Nikki, first off, I don't think I've said a proper welcome--WELCOME TO GATEWORLD!

Secondly, if you saw my answer, I also started back to writing by writing fan fic;
          Spoiler:
          I am now a member of Romance Writers of America and write my own original work (nothing finished, let alone published yet, but working on it). Two of the girls in my local branch of the RWA write/started by writing fan fiction. You are welcome to stop by any of the writing threads we have here on GW to seek advice, give opinions, or just play. We will have a sprint coming up possibly tonight, definitely tomorrow night, at 9 pm EST. Check out the first page of this thread to see if it's something that might interest you--it is totally non-threatening, just time to write while others are doing the same. We'd love to have you if you want to join us.
          Last edited by Whytewytch; 20 January 2013, 02:28 PM.
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, it's great to be here, and I've been having a little look around but I will do that. I've also been looking at the sprint thread and I might have a go, although I'm in the UK so my timezone will be different but I'll try and be on around the same time as I'll probably be on pretty late.
            sigpic
            ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Spoilered for being OT:

Spoiler:
              There's actually a couple girls there who are also in the U.K., so you might be able to gel times with them--Cate's Corner is one. See you around the threads!
              Last edited by Whytewytch; 20 January 2013, 02:26 PM.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, it's great to be here, and I've been having a little look around but I will do that. I've also been looking at the sprint thread and I might have a go, although I'm in the UK so my timezone will be different but I'll try and be on around the same time as I'll probably be on pretty late.
                Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                There's actually a couple girls there who are also in the U.K., so you might be able to gel times with them--Cate's Corner is one. See you around the threads!
                Wrong thread? Sounds like this is supposed to go in the Sprints thread...
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  Wrong thread? Sounds like this is supposed to go in the Sprints thread...
                  Spoilered for apparently being OT.

Spoiler:
                  If you're interested in doing a sprint, follow the link in my previous post (two back from this one). I'm doing one tonight at 9 EST, I hope.
                  Last edited by Whytewytch; 20 January 2013, 02:26 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                    If you're interested in doing a sprint, follow the link in my previous post (two back from this one). I'm doing one tonight at 9 EST, I hope.
                    Yes, I'm aware. I was merely pointing out that the two posts above my previous one seem to be talking about sprinting, rather than why you're writing fanfiction.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware. I was merely pointing out that the two posts above my previous one seem to be talking about sprinting, rather than why you're writing fanfiction.
                      They grew out of the larger discussion on why we write fanfiction, and were simply a detour intended to invite the new folks to visit the Sprints thread. Doesn't do much good to post stuff for new people IN that thread when they haven't begun to visit it yet.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        I was just inviting her to one of the other writing threads. As SF&C pointed out, it doesn't do much good to invite her (or anyone else who might be reading here & be interested) on the actual thread--she'd be there already.

To be more on track, I write fan fiction because I like to, and because I enjoy my fellow writers and the sense of community we can have in doing sprints and such.
                        Last edited by Whytewytch; 20 January 2013, 02:30 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Why do I write fanfiction? Let me count the reasons...

1. It's fun.
                          2. It's a good hobby to have.
                          3. I like to fill in the blanks in a story line.
                          4. I like to fix mistakes I believe that the writers have made.
                          5. It's an escape.

And finally,
                          I love to do it!!!!
                          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

^ Plus if there's a character you feel should've gotten more attention or wanted to know more about, you can explore them more in fic and stuff.
                            sigpic
                            ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

^ Plus if there's a character you feel should've gotten more attention or wanted to know more about, you can explore them more in fic and stuff.
                              That's exactly what got me started on fanfiction. I always thought Frank Cromwell must have an interesting backstory with Jack, beyond the snippet of it we got in "A Matter of Time". And I thought that as a character he deserved a better fate. So my Muse and I decided to give him one.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

That's it - seeing as how my fave character only appears a grand total of 5 times in a span of 100 episodes (SGA).
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X