No announcement yet.

Announcing SGU: Virtual Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my impression I think that Destiny can actually jump from within a system but it does need to bit a from the star to do it. The only reasonn the ship had to travel around the star for three months in Faith was because the star was not on the ship's pre-planned flight route decided by the seed ships and thus the star's gravity well wasn't part of teh equation.
    sigpic

Comment

It's more conventional just to release them as download PDFs. Most people prefer to read them in Adobe. I hope you'll also give us this option.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
        It's more conventional just to release them as download PDFs. Most people prefer to read them in Adobe. I hope you'll also give us this option.
        I'll certainly consider it...to be honest, I don't think people 'prefer' to read them in Adobe...it's just that Adobe gives them a convenient reader. I've built this reader to be just as convenient, but running in the browser, so I can make sure the latest version is always the one that people will read...
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
          I'll certainly consider it...to be honest, I don't think people 'prefer' to read them in Adobe...it's just that Adobe gives them a convenient reader. I've built this reader to be just as convenient, but running in the browser, so I can make sure the latest version is always the one that people will read...
          Why not release it as a downloadable Adobe pdf as well as your other script reader? I for one prefer to read it in a Adobe reader and it gives me the opportunity to sit and read if the internet is down, which your reader doesn't.
          sigpic

Comment

Adobe Reader is just the most known reader, most people have it. Often it's part of the software you get with your computer. I've never heard of "Silverlight" before. Seems to be a not extremely widespread program.

I myself don't like to be forced to download special programs to read a text document, or to watch a clip. It might be only me, but it's an additional viewpoint.
            sigpic

Comment

Don't get me wrong, it works in the browser but I hate reading from the browser. I like having the PDFs with me, on a memory stick so I can read them whenever/wherever I want. Even my phone has a PDF Reader, I've read more than a few Stargate Horizon episodes on my phone at work. Surely it wont be a hassle to release as PDFs.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                Adobe Reader is just the most known reader, most people have it. Often it's part of the software you get with your computer. I've never heard of "Silverlight" before. Seems to be a not extremely widespread program.

I myself don't like to be forced to download special programs to read a text document, or to watch a clip. It might be only me, but it's an additional viewpoint.
                Ah, but I figured most SGU fans would have it because of this:

http://stargate.mgm.com/photosynth

Trust me, it's worth the download.

Oh, and this is me, on the Destiny set, talking about how I built it...
                http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/863/index.html

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Ah, but I figured most SGU fans would have it because of this:

http://stargate.mgm.com/photosynth

Trust me, it's worth the download.

Oh, and this is me, on the Destiny set, talking about how I built it...
                  http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/863/index.html
                  I had but I uninstalled it because I had no real use for it and I just care for it, and I don't think I'll install it again just to read this because it just feels unecessary to install it because of just one thing. It would just be pointless.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't want to be forced to read in a small window on a browser. Just cater to the masses of the current virtual series reading audience and release as a standard PDF like pretty much everyone else does.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                      Yeah, I don't want to be forced to read in a small window on a browser. Just cater to the masses of the current virtual series reading audience and release as a standard PDF like pretty much everyone else does.
                      Hmmmm....let me think about it.

Let me tell you why I push back. It's because of the 'P' in 'PDF' - 'Portable'.

I've been burned badly in the past because of that. Whenever one of my books has become a 'hit', the PDF of the book (usually available from the publisher, on a CD or whatever) ends up on torrent sites.

Now, that's bad enough, but there are lots of sites out there that then index the torrent, and use terms like 'free ebook on <Insert Topic here>'

I've seen sales fall off the cliff at that point, because people, before buying a $50 book, will do their research. They'll see that it's free, and whether they download the torrent or not, they'll likely not buy the book. I've lost a LOT of royalties because of that.

When the book isn't successful, nobody will care enough to pirate it.

So, in effect, success kills profitability, when it's easy to make a book portable.

I've learned to plan for success, to figure out what success looks like, and to make sure that once achieved, it can be sustained.

Putting out content in an easily portable way is corollary to that system.

But, all that being said, I do most of my reading on an iPad, and the current prototype reader doesn't work there...so I'll probably do it as some form of obfuscated HTML...

Thanks for the feedback!

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

I've been burned badly in the past because of that. Whenever one of my books has become a 'hit', the PDF of the book (usually available from the publisher, on a CD or whatever) ends up on torrent sites.

Now, that's bad enough, but there are lots of sites out there that then index the torrent, and use terms like 'free ebook on <Insert Topic here>'

I've seen sales fall off the cliff at that point, because people, before buying a $50 book, will do their research. They'll see that it's free, and whether they download the torrent or not, they'll likely not buy the book. I've lost a LOT of royalties because of that.

So, in effect, success kills profitability, when it's easy to make a book portable.

I've learned to plan for success, to figure out what success looks like, and to make sure that once achieved, it can be sustained.

But, all that being said, I do most of my reading on an iPad, and the current prototype reader doesn't work there...so I'll probably do it as some form of obfuscated HTML...

Thanks for the feedback!
                        Out of interest...how does this look? Better?

http://www.destinypress.net/fourthworld/page.htm

?

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

I'm diggin it.
                          The planet is doomed because of the supernova and they want to hide Destiny behind it.
                          Assuming this planet is on the edge of the system, and assuming that if any starship could handle the tail end of even a "small" supernova, it would be Destiny, then...
                          Hows about Eli is pondering the situation while attempting to meditate but ends up making shadow puppets in the candlelight when he gets a brainstorm. The ship could block the whole planet from the discharge if they lined it up just the right distance away while recharging but of course it's risky. Then they can't just leave the population on a rogue planet so they would have to figure out how to land the ship and gate everybody off the planet.
                          Add dramatic filler and a scene where Young and Greer gangbeat Dr.Rush and it's SGU.

Comment

Out of interest...how does this look? Better?

http://www.destinypress.net/fourthworld/page.htm

?
                            Thats better
                            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

much better, if just for the fact its central, it was hard to read a book on the far left of the screen with no way to move it, i like having pdf versions so i can bob it n my ereader and take it to the crapper or on the train, or just in bed so much nicer.
                              sigpic
                              THERE IS NO MORE POWER!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!
                                I understand your reasoning but it wont help you with virtual series. Virtual series readers expect PDFs. They expect to read where they want. I like to read offline, I like to read on my phone. I don't like to be forced to read in a browser. And I imagine many virtual series readers will feel the same.

I love this concept and I really hope you do well with it. God knows the Stargate community needs more strong scripted virtual series. But you're just going to shoot yourself in the foot if you wont stick to the usual virtual series release method.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X