Publishing Your Fanfic Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
    I agree on those problems. I only started posting on ff.net less than a year ago, so I don't have nearly as many fics that can be screwed up, but I have still had my share of issues with it reformatting my fics, not being able to update/post, etc.

However, I also agree that it is the only place with enough readers that you will get reviews. My problem is that I am currently writing a fic that will have somewhat explicit sex - is there anywhere I can post that, which still has lots of readers? I don't know of any archives excepts AO3 and ff.net, and I never get reviews (and few reads) on AO3.

The story is Sam/Martouf/Lantash, so Symbiotica (tokra.fandomnet.com) is a possibility too, but there are few readers, and no anonymous reviewing, so...any suggestions?
    How explicit? If you want to send me a sample I'll take a look, and if it's within the bounds of what I'm comfortable with, I'll host it on my site. We Tok'ra-oriented writers need to stick together!

Btw, that goes for others too. I've come to a decision that yes, within certain boundaries, I am willing to begin hosting some other people's work on my own site, both in the hope of better serving SG fandom, and of perhaps driving more traffic to my site.

I also need to figure out whether ATWLB would fit on Symbiotica. The Tok'ra presence starts small, but builds to a crescendo in it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      How explicit? If you want to send me a sample I'll take a look, and if it's within the bounds of what I'm comfortable with, I'll host it on my site. We Tok'ra-oriented writers need to stick together!

Btw, that goes for others too. I've come to a decision that yes, within certain boundaries, I am willing to begin hosting some other people's work on my own site, both in the hope of better serving SG fandom, and of perhaps driving more traffic to my site.

I also need to figure out whether ATWLB would fit on Symbiotica. The Tok'ra presence starts small, but builds to a crescendo in it.
      Explicit. It has mention of...ah...certain bodyparts. Definitely above what's in romance novels. It's very much draft right now, and I'm a bit embarrassed about it

As for ATWLB - yes, it would fit on Symbiotica. They take anything that has Tok'ra (and treats the Tok'ra nicely, which your fic absolutely does). And I need to start reviewing it, as I am reading it. Bad me! *blushes in shame*

It's easy to get an account at Symbiotica - just sign up on their site and they send you a password, which you can then change to something you like. Then it's just to post, which is easy - just copy and paste normally works wonderfully.

Perhaps Tok'ra-oriented writers should have some links or banners to each others sites? Sort of like web-rings, which I remember existed when I went to high school (do they still? Haven't seen them for maybe 4-5 years).
      sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
        Explicit. It has mention of...ah...certain bodyparts. Definitely above what's in romance novels. It's very much draft right now, and I'm a bit embarrassed about it
        Ah. I'm trying to keep the s*x within romance novel limits.

As for ATWLB - yes, it would fit on Symbiotica. They take anything that has Tok'ra (and treats the Tok'ra nicely, which your fic absolutely does). And I need to start reviewing it, as I am reading it. Bad me! *blushes in shame*
        Heehee. No shame involved, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Reviews do make my Muse (and me) happy, though.

I'm definitely going to get an account over there, then.

Perhaps Tok'ra-oriented writers should have some links or banners to each others sites? Sort of like web-rings, which I remember existed when I went to high school (do they still? Haven't seen them for maybe 4-5 years).
        Oh, that's a wonderful idea! And yes, webrings do still exist. There is a pretty extensive Stargate webring that my site is part of - if you go look at the homepage for my site, you'll see the link for it at the bottom of the page.

Also, if you (or anyone else reading) decide to build a site of your own, I can help with some of that.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

What is this simbiotica?
          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Symbiotica is a fanfiction archive for Stargate fanfiction featuring Tok'ra characters.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Symbiotica is a fanfiction archive for Stargate fanfiction featuring Tok'ra characters.
              Hmmm. I might have a plot bunny for that eventually.

By the way, I'm in the middle of chapter 8 of ATWLB

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                Hmmm. I might have a plot bunny for that eventually.

By the way, I'm in the middle of chapter 8 of ATWLB
                Cool! I've just begun loading ATWLB into the Symbiotica archive.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Cool! I've just begun loading ATWLB into the Symbiotica archive.
                  The ff.net or the more unadulterated version? Because I'm reading straight form your site still.

Comment

The one from my site. Symbiotica has plenty of adult stuff; mine will probably be quite tame by comparison.

Note: I'm by no means a prude. I simply can't read or write full-on explicit sex scenes without bursting into laughter, so I just don't bother trying to write them. (I know... I'm weird...)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The one from my site. Symbiotica has plenty of adult stuff; mine will probably be quite tame by comparison.

Note: I'm by no means a prude. I simply can't read or write full-on explicit sex scenes without bursting into laughter, so I just don't bother trying to write them. (I know... I'm weird...)
                      I don't usually write that either, but more out of lack of necessity for the details. If I can just imply or say people had sex, then then why waste time on something that will slow and dilute the story? Although my OC-in-progress might not count as a Tok'ra no more.

Comment

I don't usually write that either, but more out of lack of necessity for the details. If I can just imply or say people had sex, then then why waste time on something that will slow and dilute the story? Although my OC-in-progress might not count as a Tok'ra no more.
                        Is your OC a Tok'ra and host? Or perhaps a former Tok'ra host? *is curious*

Spoiler:
                        My story series-in-progress has both Tok'ra pairs (my term for a blended Tok'ra symbiote-host combination) and a character who is a former host.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

why waste time on something that will slow and dilute the story?
                          okay, so i read that as "waste time on something thats slow and dui-.." Does that seem right to you?

Ah yes, the 'descriptive snuggle sessions' that people write and i have no idea WHY they do since, as WraithRichard stated, you can just imply it better!

One of the greatest pieces of advice about story telling actually came from the drama lessons. As the teacher stated, not in these words, but close enough, the greatest tool you ever have is your audiences imagination. Because they can come up with scenes that are hundreds of times better than whats on the stage/screen!

Basically: don't show them every last detail! The readers can properly imagine something better!
                          [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Yep. That's why I generally use only a little bit of detail in a scene like that -- just enough to make it clear what is happening -- and then leave the rest up to the reader to imagine.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                              okay, so i read that as "waste time on something thats slow and dui-.." Does that seem right to you?

Ah yes, the 'descriptive snuggle sessions' that people write and i have no idea WHY they do since, as WraithRichard stated, you can just imply it better!

One of the greatest pieces of advice about story telling actually came from the drama lessons. As the teacher stated, not in these words, but close enough, the greatest tool you ever have is your audiences imagination. Because they can come up with scenes that are hundreds of times better than whats on the stage/screen!

Basically: don't show them every last detail! The readers can properly imagine something better!
                              I love figuring out a balance between being explicit and omissions. My writing thrives on it practically.

It always wants to know: what would be more mysterious/creepy/humorous here? Show them every tiny detail, or just a few?

Anyone remember the line 'forget the squirrel and get the fire extinguisher?'

Comment

BTW: seems i've come up with a 'pet peeve' in a thread that ISN'T the 'pet peeves'...kkthkbyebye! *runs out door*
                                [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X