Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
    ... can we just stick with "OC". It involves typing one less letter and so saves a WHOLE lot of time!!! (what? I'm a guy. Less work = Lot better )
    Because "Other Character" is already claimed - crossover fic. But thank you for the love!
    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
      Because "Other Character" is already claimed - crossover fic. But thank you for the love!
      Actually, OC is "Original Character" - that's what the term was coined to mean in fanfic altogether, before crossover fic even existed. Non-canon characters made up by the author (like my Tesni and Cadogan) are OCs.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was for a character who was canon to another show. See, there is no consistency with all the sites. I was telling Choo, I used to read Xena/Gab stories all the time, and they were classified as altfic because of the lesbian relationship. But if I want to read Sam/Janet fic of a lesbian nature, I'm apparently looking for "femslash". Guess which terminology I prefer?
        Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
        Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

It does get confusing. Generally, though:

OC = Original character
          OFC = Original female character
          OMC = Original male character

Just for grins, here's what Wikipedia says.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Well, this if Deja Vu.

In the meantime, how heavy of an object would one need to kill someone via blow to the head?

Object is shaped like one of those etch-a-sketch pads they carry around on Atlantis.
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
              Yeah, only moms pass on mitochondrial DNA (that IS what mtDNA is, right?), just like men can only pass on stuff form the Y chromosome.

If it's in the nuclear DNA, it'd depend on whether it's recessive or dominant, and if its on one of the sex genes.

Not sure about the last one.
              I need to see to learn & sometimes need to think out loud, so thank you all for your patience. I've actually been drawing out geneology trees for my characters, which is how I got that one of the males could not have gotten a mtDNA mutation from his father, simply because it is passed on maternally.

I think the dominant vs recessive gene thing might actually work better. I'm talking about the Ancient gene here. Some people have it and can make Ancient tech work without thinking about it, some people have the gene and can make Ancient tech work with concentration. Some people react to the gene therapy and are able to make Ancient tech work after the therapy, some people are unaffected by the gene therapy.

Not sure if the last one would help or not, more curiosity, I guess.

The Ancient gene is not sex linked to my knowledge. It could still be recessive if what I've been Googling (& my 15 year-old's advanced bio class help) is correct. Two parents who are carriers & had 4 children would (theoretically) produce one who was affected (had the gene), two who were also carriers and one who was unaffected.

"So, how did you spend your Mother's Day?" my friends might ask.
              "Studying recessive vs dominant genes and nuclear vs mitochondrial DNA. How else?"

Choo, you've got me laughing! I got my hubby a card for Christmas. On the front was a man looking like the cat who ate the canary, standing in what looked like the remains of a Christmas-box tornado. Decorations strewn willy-nilly, some even on the tree. At the top it read, "How men decorate for Christmas" & the dialogue cloud next to the man said, "Done!"
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Except in cases of very light objects, I think the force with which it is wielded is probably more important than the weight of the object. Also, consider what portion of the skull bears the brunt of the impact.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The impact is in the back of the head, but I think weight counts for something. Beating someone with an ipod would take time.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

True. Then again, an iPod is in that category of light objects I mentioned.

Hmmm... just as a guess, maybe anything that weighs a couple of pounds or more should be enough, I think. *goes hunting for info*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The impact is in the back of the head, but I think weight counts for something. Beating someone with an ipod would take time.

Be sure to use a corner! LOL

Comment

Try this.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Well, this if Deja Vu.

In the meantime, how heavy of an object would one need to kill someone via blow to the head?

Object is shaped like one of those etch-a-sketch pads they carry around on Atlantis.
                          Because of distribution of mass, I would think one of those "etch-a-sketch pads" () would have to be quite heavy, heavier than something with a smaller surface area like, say, a hammer; it would also need to be wielded with great force. I would also think it would depend on where in the skull the character gets hit--if I remember right, different areas of the skull have different thicknesses. I'm not a doctor (obviously!), just from what I've gleaned.

ETA: Looks I'm the last one to this party! LOL
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            Except in cases of very light objects, I think the force with which it is wielded is probably more important than the weight of the object. Also, consider what portion of the skull bears the brunt of the impact.
                            there's a spot, just behind the eyes...
                            ahh oops well, in that case... reading around: you want one of the things that is - effectively - a little bit heavier than your average laptop screen, to do the actual damage.

chances are you'll need to use the corner - or else drop it from a massive height, which is unreliable due to the sheer fact it'll catch wind, plus your target might move.

on the other hand, if it's structurally reinforced, it may be able to withstand hitting someone's head and not actually shatter after a few blows.

of course, if your object is merely shaped like one of those tablets, you can determine whether you're able to strengthen it further or make it out of a material (naquadah maybe?) that might withstand the force involved.
                            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                              of course, if your object is merely shaped like one of those tablets, you can determine whether you're able to strengthen it further or make it out of a material (naquadah maybe?) that might withstand the force involved.
                              Oh, it can break. The important part is you've hit the guy several times.

I'm htinking hte back of hte head, but in between the eyes could work if I change the 'choreography' slightly.

Comment

Oh, it can break. The important part is you've hit the guy several times.

I'm htinking hte back of hte head, but in between the eyes could work if I change the 'choreography' slightly.
                                with the eyes thing, run your fingers along the side of your head, from your eyes to the back, and about... maybe a centimetre or so? back, you should notice a sort of 'pit' on each side of your head.

this is, to the best of my knowledge, the weakest part of the skull. next weakest is around the top of the nose, or else the top of the skull itself (which i believe is one of the last parts to fully solidify.)

i should mention that my biology background is GCSE, about... 12 years ago, and i got a CC (double award accredition, for doing bio/phys/chem.) i remember vague bits and pieces, but not much, so i could be talking utter boll**ks here, but i'm 99% certain about the bits on the side of the head.
                                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Working...
                                X