Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Baal Cloned himself via Asgard Cloning technology. technology he got through being Anubis' pawn and surviving him, technology Anubis got from Thor by probing his mind
    Originally posted by Eragon View Post
    But thor's mind took over the computer and gave anubis a headache
    Anubis used his probing of Thor's mind as a pretext to use some of the knowledge he gained when he tricked Oma into ascending his snaky ass.

When the rest of the ascended beings expelled and partially descended Anubis, he took with him, lots of knowledge that he couldn't use unless he learned of it by other means. Using all of the stuff a learned while ascended would be to invite The Others to intervene against him. If however Anubis learned of knowledge stored in repositories or mind probes, The Others wouldn't intervene.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

But thor's mind took over the computer and gave anubis a headache
      given that after the probing, Anubis used holotech and made the Kull, it's safe to say that that the mind probe was very successful

Comment

I've got a question for those with tough stomachs

Spoiler:
        What happens to an eyeball when subjected to fire for about a minute? Do they 'pop'? Melt? Something else?
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Reply for tough stomachs only...

Spoiler:
          I think that's going to depend entirely on the temperature. I believe some are a delicacy in places, but I don't know that they are cooked. Surely the Mythbusters have explored this?
          Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
          Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Ah Mythbusters, exploring creatively dangerous things one probably shouldn't contemplate.

I never actually saw much, I haven't had actual TV for over ten years.

Spoiler:
            Do you have the episode, or at leas the cliffnotes? Any specific details needed to figure out exactly what happens?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
              True but Baal was trying to create exact duplicates with memories and personality. You can't garuntee that with accelerated aging
              Excuse me, but this is FICTION--you can make it work any way you want to. All you have to do is say he made it work. I know you want the explanation to be plausible, but if you want exact duplicates with accelerated aging, then say that he used a method of aging that guaranteed the retention of memories and personality.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Excuse me, but this is FICTION--you can make it work any way you want to. All you have to do is say he made it work. I know you want the explanation to be plausible, but if you want exact duplicates with accelerated aging, then say that he used a method of aging that guaranteed the retention of memories and personality.

Seaboe

i think i mentioned pretty explicitly that Baal has asgard cloning and memory transfer technology.

all he needs to do is copy his mind, copy his body and then insert copies of his mind into the copies of his bodies.

they look identical cause that's how accellerated aging works in stargate

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  they look identical cause that's how accellerated aging works in stargate
                  *cough* Cable Show budget *cough cough*

BTW: in the myths, didn't Ba'al have 1,000 + wives?
                  [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                    *cough* Cable Show budget *cough cough*

BTW: in the myths, didn't Ba'al have 1,000 + wives?
                    Quick post I didn't read, but it should answer your question

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
                      wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? It's called a friendly debate, no need to get all butt hurt because someone doesn't agree with you.
                      sigpic
                      Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

You guys are both right... sort of.

Eragon wants to exhaust all continuity and implied continuity options before having to resort to a Maguffin machine lying around in a random spot and having to make that believable.

But Seaboe is right in that you need to see if the established universe will also make it possible that there's a Maguffin machine lying around somewhere not mentioned or not explored.

Comment

Can genetic mapping & genetic markers be used to trace ancestry? In other words, if you took a genetic sample from a group of people, would you be able to find out if they have a common or possible common ancestor? If you were trying to encourage a certain mutation with gene therapy, would you be able to tweak a person's DNA to encourage the gene therapy to take? Would adults be able to receive the therapy or would it be better in vitro? What would be the risks & what would recovery be like?

Please pardon any mistakes--it's why I'm here. Don't know much about biology.

Spoiler:
                          I'm writing in the SGA fandom & want to know if altered DNA would allow a greater than 40% success rate (I think this is what they stated that it was in the show) in the gene therapy for people to have the Ancient gene.

Thanks in advance for any help!
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Hmmm. Well, I do know that genetic markers are used to determine ancestry groups, and I'm pretty sure that DNA can show possible shared ancestry between individuals, at least within certain parameters.

Gene therapy won't cause a mutation, but you can insert a mutated gene using it, to the best of my knowledge, anyway.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              Can genetic mapping & genetic markers be used to trace ancestry? In other words, if you took a genetic sample from a group of people, would you be able to find out if they have a common or possible common ancestor? If you were trying to encourage a certain mutation with gene therapy, would you be able to tweak a person's DNA to encourage the gene therapy to take? Would adults be able to receive the therapy or would it be better in vitro? What would be the risks & what would recovery be like?

Please pardon any mistakes--it's why I'm here. Don't know much about biology.

Spoiler:
                              I'm writing in the SGA fandom & want to know if altered DNA would allow a greater than 40% success rate (I think this is what they stated that it was in the show) in the gene therapy for people to have the Ancient gene.

Thanks in advance for any help!
                              Did you ever read Dune? If not, google "Kwisatz Haderach" and look into their selective breeding program. You could draw some parallels.

You might find the link below to be a great starting point. In short, yes, you can trace a group's DNA to common ancestors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

ETA: As for the gene therapy, look into rDNA. If I can find the paper I wrote on it I'll send it to you.
                              Last edited by Feast of the Muse; 06 May 2011, 05:56 PM. Reason: fixing my terminology
                              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Can genetic mapping & genetic markers be used to trace ancestry? In other words, if you took a genetic sample from a group of people, would you be able to find out if they have a common or possible common ancestor?
                                Oh hell yes. It's been done many times, both with mitochondria and Y chromosome markers. I think X genes have been traced too.

If you were trying to encourage a certain mutation with gene therapy, would you be able to tweak a person's DNA to encourage the gene therapy to take?
                                To tweak someone's DNA to take gene therapy, you'd probably need gene therapy for that.

Would adults be able to receive the therapy or would it be better in vitro?
                                Adults. In vitro would be harder and tends not to take as well.

What would be the risks & what would recovery be like?
                                It'd depend on the method. Also, are you going for germ cells, somatic cells, or both?

By the way, I'm having an unusual brain block. What's small, something a woman would carry with her in a pocket or purse, that could be used as a weapon and hidden in a shoe? This isn't a riddle, I'm stumped as to how a weapon could be smuggled. Oh, and not a key. If dropped a key would be too easily traced to someone or look too suspicious that it was stolen.

Comment

Working...
                                X