Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question-

After the Ancients left the Pegasus galaxy, could there have been a faction of the Asurans that didn't want to work on Ascension? If so, if they left for another galaxy, could they have developed a way to create a biological body through a process similar to the one Weir and her posse was going to use in her last episode?
    sigpic
    Just so you know, I am not Talis!

Comment

Originally posted by Sage of Mirrors View Post
      Another question-

After the Ancients left the Pegasus galaxy, could there have been a faction of the Asurans that didn't want to work on Ascension? If so, if they left for another galaxy, could they have developed a way to create a biological body through a process similar to the one Weir and her posse was going to use in her last episode?
      Anything is possible in fanfic.

Also, the Ancients left Atlantis to go back to Earth. They losing the war against the Wraith and were reduced to a the residents of the city, as ALL other colonies were now Wraith food. When the Ancients as a race ascended (those that wanted to ascend anyway) they did it from this galaxy.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I knew why they went back; I'm talking about the Replicators they created, the Asurans, which aimed to emulate the Ancients in every way possible. I thought that besides Ascension, the only thing that could bring them closer to being Ancient is being biological as opposed to mechanical.
        sigpic

Comment

I knew why they went back; I'm talking about the Replicators they created, the Asurans, which aimed to emulate the Ancients in every way possible. I thought that besides Ascension, the only thing that could bring them closer to being Ancient is being biological as opposed to mechanical.
          Sure why not!

You should go explore those if's and but's and maybe's Sage of Mirrors!!
          [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

With Weir being in the Ancient stasis pod for long periods of time, she became really old; if someone was stored in a stasis pod continually for around 60,000 years, could they become sort of mummified?
            sigpic

Comment

With Weir being in the Ancient stasis pod for long periods of time, she became really old; if someone was stored in a stasis pod continually for around 60,000 years, could they become sort of mummified?
              Already happened. In Aurora, the crew entered stasis pods but in the intervening 10,000 years the bodies became living mummies while their minds were all in virtual reality. I guess, for a period that long the pods require some level of external maintenance.

Also, in The Last Man, Sheppard needed to spend some time in a stasis pod before finding a proper stellar flare to send him back from the future.
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

If Atlantis moved to another galaxy that also had another 'gate network, would it need to have a 'gate from that galaxy to dial out? Or would their own work? Also, would they need to swap out the crystals on all the DHD's with ones containing the glyphs of the galaxy's gates to dial out?

Another question: How likely is it that the Asurans, if they went and created a colony in another galaxy with their own 'gate network, made their gates 'region locked,' so to speak? As in, only gates from the same network within the galaxy can dial each other? I thought that they would do that to keep the Ancients, maybe, from finding their settlements...
                i'm late, but:

midway had one of each gate (MW/PG) - in the void. likely they also had 2 sets of controls built into their keyboards, one for each.

however, we're aware that a jumper interior has only one keyboard - and when the atlantis crew returned against orders, they were able to supersede earth's dialler.

iirc, the asgard once used a hand-device to control our gate, too.

atlantis' own gate appeared functional - while wormhole drive was never explained clearly (in the final episode,) it seemed linked with, well, wormholes and so potentially stargates. additionally, when sheppard was evacced from the superhive, it was through a PG gate to atlantis itself.

of course, ancients and asgard would have known our constellations probably. it can be argued that translation programs were already built in on both devices. but the available evidence doesn't rule out the possibility, and may support it as it's unlikely the superhive had access to many local constellations.
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Another question-

most of the asurans gave up on ascension, and were prepared to go violent (esp when their programming was opened by mckay.) however, because a soul appears to be linked to biological beings, and a soul appears necessary for ascension, it's entirely feasible that a number of them - presumably not on asura - left before the majority gave up.

i mention them not being in asura as their update programming may have wiped out such attempt at what could have been considered rebellion, and it seems (somewhat) limited by distance. on the other hand, there's resse, and there's the numbers faction (that the asgard fought.) so there are definitely separatists out there, however they managed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                    additionally, when sheppard was evacced from the superhive, it was through a PG gate to atlantis itself.
                    It's only a minor point, but it possibly bears correcting - when the Atlantis team dialed out from the superhive over Earth, it was to the Milky Way Alpha Site.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      It's only a minor point, but it possibly bears correcting - when the Atlantis team dialed out from the superhive over Earth, it was to the Milky Way Alpha Site.
                      ahh - my memory is faulty, thanks for that. it actually reinforces my point though - a PG gate shouldn't be able to dial a MW gate at all if it were locked out from the galaxy (as suggested by someone else.) whereas a PG-to-PG dialling might have resulted in compatible systems talking to each other, regardless of location.

i can't recall either how the atlantis team boarded the superhive - tbh, it felt like a 1:30-2hr movie in 45 mins, and a lot of the details passed me by. i've rarely rewatched it either to remind myself of it

Comment

Thanks for the help so far. However, there's still part of my Asuran question that's been left unanswered.

If the group of Asurans that left Pegasus still wanted to be close to the Ancients, would the next logical step to become organically based? I.E. having nanobots build a body with/from Ancient DNA?

Also, another question- would these so-called 'bio-Asurans' ever go to 'war' with a species if the species attacked them? A main part of my fan fiction is that the bio-Asurans went to colonize a nearby galaxy. There was a sentient species in this galaxy, and they didn't want the bio-Asurans to take over their territory, so the species attacked them. this lead to the bio-Asurans getting a foothold in the galaxy and creating a small network of gates.

One more- since one of the city-ships was called Atlantis, could a city-ship created by the Asurans be called the Dorado? (As in El Dorado, city of gold)
                        sigpic

Comment

i can't recall either how the atlantis team boarded the superhive - tbh, it felt like a 1:30-2hr movie in 45 mins, and a lot of the details passed me by. i've rarely rewatched it either to remind myself of it
                          John landed a plane in it, and the rest used the stargate in the hive.

And yes, EATG was a mess.
                          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Thanks for the help so far. However, there's still part of my Asuran question that's been left unanswered.

If the group of Asurans that left Pegasus still wanted to be close to the Ancients, would the next logical step to become organically based? I.E. having nanobots build a body with/from Ancient DNA?
                            uncertain. it took weir's influence to do it, but thats after thousands of years of apparently trying to bypass the wraith virus that stopped them fighting.

i suppose the question is: would the ancients consider the possibility (like they considered the possibility replicators might turn on them?) would they create a code to prevent it?

actually, from that - did the ancients predict the risk of attack, or did they react to an actual attack? i don't believe that was answered, so if you're considering the ancients to be advancing with little thought as to the consequences, the repli programming could be wide open.

Also, another question- would these so-called 'bio-Asurans' ever go to 'war' with a species if the species attacked them? A main part of my fan fiction is that the bio-Asurans went to colonize a nearby galaxy. There was a sentient species in this galaxy, and they didn't want the bio-Asurans to take over their territory, so the species attacked them. this lead to the bio-Asurans getting a foothold in the galaxy and creating a small network of gates.
                            again, uncertain. depends whether you have them programmed not to attack ancients. then it depends on whether these sentients are similar to the ancients - i.e. could the asurans mistake them?

in addition, while the asurans were made as a weapon, they were made to fight the wraith. i don't believe it was stated clearly, so it's possible that they were made only to attack the wraith (as they don't seem to have killed humans in the intervening millennia) or that the ancients may have placed specific safeguards to protect humans - unlikely, though, as the atlantis crew were attacked when they revealed their nature, base and intent to the replicators, and atlantis was the next target.

there are enough unknowns that you can write it as you see fit - and anything that doesn't directly fit could be called an early model.

One more- since one of the city-ships was called Atlantis, could a city-ship created by the Asurans be called the Dorado? (As in El Dorado, city of gold)
                            unlikely - atlantis may be a city of greek legend, but the ancients used a precursor to latin as their native tounge. i'm also reasonably certain that atlantis was an earth name - the ancients were 'alterans' and the planet was 'lantea.' spellings might be a bit off, though. el dorado, iirc, is mexican, and MW gates are already egyptian-styled - it seems almost like too many cultural influences.

note that while many gates may be goa'uld in origin (and thus explaining their egyptian style,) the antarctic gate appears to be over 1 million years old - and ancients were around then, as evidenced by the plague-bearer woman. that gate was also egyptian-styled, hinting either that the goa'uld were actively gatebuilding for an incredibly long time - or the ancients already built the style. additionally, there's no evidence the goa'uld ever built a gate, i'm just associating them because of the cultural appearance.

also, el dorado is an earth myth - it's hard to see how it could come here through the ancients, who destroyed their own records of asura sometime before coming to earth. if the breakaways left pre-ascension, the asurans might not even share the info. if they left after, then the el dorado myth wouldn't be relevant to them and could maybe confuse matters.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                              John landed a plane in it, and the rest used the stargate in the hive.

And yes, EATG was a mess.
                              sorry, i should clarify: i realise sheppard was doing a suicide bombing. but what was the source gate of the rest of the team? they weren't the alpha site, but iirc earth couldn't dial out either, so did they gate directly in from atlantis or somewhere else?

Comment

sorry, i should clarify: i realise sheppard was doing a suicide bombing. but what was the source gate of the rest of the team? they weren't the alpha site, but iirc earth couldn't dial out either, so did they gate directly in from atlantis or somewhere else?
                                WOOLSEY: Stargate Command, this is Atlantis. ... Stargate Command, this is Atlantis, do you read?

BANKS: Comm system is operating, sir. They're just not responding.

McKAY (looking at his console): OK, this is weird. I'm picking up an energy signature feeding back through the wormhole. It's Wraith.

WOOLSEY: The Wraith are at Stargate Command?!

McKAY: No. These readings are more like something you'd pick up in the middle of a Hive.

WOOLSEY: But we dialled Earth.

ZELENKA: You don't think that ...

McKAY: Standard Wraith procedure. Keep your victims from dialling out.

WOOLSEY: What are you talking about?

McKAY: There's a Gate on the Hive!

WOOLSEY: What?!

McKAY: The Wraith always try to block the Gate of a planet they're attacking, usually by dialling in. They couldn't do that in this case so they came up with another solution.

ZELENKA: You see, when two Gates are in proximity, one supersedes the other. Usually it's the default Gate – unless it happens to be a Milky Way model and the other one's from Pegasus.
                                Atlantis was on the edge of the Milky Way at this point in time.
                                Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Working...
                                X