No announcement yet.

Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, sort of an old mystery to be solved, kind of like a show I saw recently where archaeologists and forensic scientists were trying to determine how a particular mummy was killed, and who it might have been?

(MP - My OC's carry staff weapons and zats! And they're the good guys! )

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

my understanding about the trust....they don't follow the laws as much as operate under a 'if no one knows what you're doing, no one can take you to task for it'

discretion and sneaking and secrecy

if backwards engineering came to light it'd be someone at the SGC recognizing some invention, going 'dude, didn't we run into this on P3X584?' and then digging into it

the sgc would be the only people that'd know better
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        So, sort of an old mystery to be solved, kind of like a show I saw recently where archaeologists and forensic scientists were trying to determine how a particular mummy was killed, and who it might have been?
        Yeah, pretty much. That's all it is. I just want to get the angle right.

I need to get The Big Book of Death. It'd solve a lot of these questions right off the bat. I wish it were still in print.
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          my understanding about the trust....they don't follow the laws as much as operate under a 'if no one knows what you're doing, no one can take you to task for it'

discretion and sneaking and secrecy
          So as long as they don't leave crumbs or there's a legal loophole, they can get away with taking all the cookies they want?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
            I'd say it's another wonderful way to take the status quo behind the shed and kill it, but I'm just planning something they find evidence of that's thousands of years old. SG teams aren't going to go 'how strange and horrible' at it.

About The Trust: do they try to keep within/hidden form any laws? Which ones?
            definitely from the law. they have had access to a cloaked mothership in orbit (and at one point used it as a WMD platform against jaffacakes and goa'uld.)

remember, the tech they're getting their hands on has to come through the SGC. the SGC itself is portrayed as incorruptible - but Area 51, where everything goes if it's not for immediate study, is not. bribery, blackmail, kidnapping... they haven't directly entered A51 i think, but it isn't certain - they also had access to the mimic devices for a while, and tried to assassinate kinsey while pretending to be o'neill.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
              As for killing - my OC's carry swords.

End of discussion.
              Hmmm. Sarah can shoot anything with trigger, but she's a peacemaker. I surrender!
              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                definitely from the law. they have had access to a cloaked mothership in orbit (and at one point used it as a WMD platform against jaffacakes and goa'uld.)

remember, the tech they're getting their hands on has to come through the SGC. the SGC itself is portrayed as incorruptible - but Area 51, where everything goes if it's not for immediate study, is not. bribery, blackmail, kidnapping... they haven't directly entered A51 i think, but it isn't certain - they also had access to the mimic devices for a while, and tried to assassinate kinsey while pretending to be o'neill.
                the thing is, there were periods of time when the sgc wasn't the sole point of access for gate travel. Members of the NID snuck stuff back to the SGC for a while, as well as the Russians operating their own gate for time too.

so while a lot/most of the stuff did pass through the sgc, some didn't.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  the thing is, there were periods of time when the sgc wasn't the sole point of access for gate travel. Members of the NID snuck stuff back to the SGC for a while, as well as the Russians operating their own gate for time too.

so while a lot/most of the stuff did pass through the sgc, some didn't.
                  very true - though iirc, at the time of the russian gate, the NID were still seriously infected.

i'm counting the Trust as the period after the purge, though i could be getting totally confused and the russian gate may have been active after that period.

rogue NID still acted - sort of - in defence of earth.. while the trust were personal gains, tied together by their mutual goals of improving their own considerable power bases.

if any of that made sense
                  Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

My guy is in a shadow place. He is operating enough within the law that he has not been called to task, but he is def in it for personal gain--his main goal is to acquire as much wealth and power as he can while seeming to be a law abiding citizen. He hasn't revealed such to me yet, but I get the sneaking suspicion that he would sell his own gramma (or planet) if he gained from it.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

any of hte above could work. In addition, any member of the NID - that escaped the roundup- could have brought back any piece of tech and used it as an insurance policy....as in 'i'm risking my life, why shouldn't i bring back a little bonus?'

imagine someone like Sam, completely and totally trusted, who happened to bring back some little thing that they engineer? or have a friend engineer.

totally plausible, especially pre-nid days, when all the security maybe wasn't there

sigpic

Comment

My character, D.S. FitzGerald, won't be arriving in person for quite a few chapters yet, but he has been introduced as a character in the chap I just sent my beta. He's described (paraphrasing) as
                        Spoiler:
                        a man whose family is heavily involved with defense contracting with the SG program, but there are rumors that those contracts were not always received on the up & up. This leaves enough wiggle room for him to eventually reveal himself as something more if the plot calls for it. I get the feeling he's not going to accept defeat quietly & may wind up popping up in other short fics. **rolls eyes at headstrong characters**
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                          Sure--maybe it'll spark my muse into knowing how she wants to use the info.
                          Just a follow-up on the DNA/gene therapy thing. If you're still interested, send me a not or message. I just finished the chapter.

Comment

Emails sent between Pegasus and Milky Way--do they need to have the gate open to be sent/received? If so, does anyone remember if the check-in between galaxies was weekly or daily or what?
                            sigpic

Comment

there was a weekly check-in, i presume all letters were sent through digitally in a single data burst

Comment

Can anyone explain the sign/signifier concept of communication to me?

Comment

Working...
                                X