Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Prepares a pot of coffee*

Research is fun.
    And it can be done without the use of 'Google' and other search engines.
    I actually prefer books.
    That way when I'm writting I can have the relevent details close at hand.
    I actually tend to write everything out by hand first, and then type it in.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I prefer the computer, but only because I'm too poor to own all the books I need. I still use books (in fact, I need to look up Buddhism today or tomorrow).
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        *Prepares a pot of coffee*

Research is fun.
        And it can be done without the use of 'Google' and other search engines.
        I actually prefer books.
        That way when I'm writting I can have the relevent details close at hand.
        I actually tend to write everything out by hand first, and then type it in.
        Surprisingly, I have found that like Freya, I also prefer the tactile sensation of handwriting (or whatever the quote is)...not that I necessary identify with Freya/Anise on all levels. Nice discussion on research! I don't own most of the books I need, but I tend to have a few 'must haves' and google the rest...

And Sealurk, I'm pretty sure I'm on some CIA/FBI/Homeland Security watchlist now (foreign national, looking up the Pentagon...I think I'm asking for trouble). Some how the "Honest...I was doing research for 'Stargate' fanfic!" sounds like a weak defense.
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

There is something about the slight scratch of a pen against paper.
          Rather than the click of keys on a keyboard.

I have a large reference selection. Which I got when I was a member of a book club.
          Some of the subjects I've mentioned in a previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
            And Sealurk, I'm pretty sure I'm on some CIA/FBI/Homeland Security watchlist now (foreign national, looking up the Pentagon...I think I'm asking for trouble). Some how the "Honest...I was doing research for 'Stargate' fanfic!" sounds like a weak defense.
            Why, do you have several books on making homemade weapons on your amazon wishlist too?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

My son gave me a lovely book about swords which I use regularly for my Highlander fanfic. But I must admit to using the Internet mostly for my research.
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I picked up a copy of Sun Tsu's 'The Art of War' from a bargin bookshop a few weeks ago.
                It cost me £3.99.

Comment

I still use books for reference - about two thirds of all my books are non-fiction - but I rely mostly on the Internet. The last one I got was a book of baby names, ideal for naming characters memorably and appropriately, and one on modern nuclear submarines.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                    I picked up a copy of Sun Tsu's 'The Art of War' from a bargin bookshop a few weeks ago.
                    It cost me £3.99.
                    Had you Googled it, you could have found the full text available online for free CLausewitz's On War, too.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      Had you Googled it, you could have found the full text available online for free CLausewitz's On War, too.
                      *tosses paper ball at womble* £1.00 off Amazon :/

Ironic everyone's going on about how large their resource libary is because right now i'm trying to CUT DOWN on how many books i have! I've just moved so i've realised how big my collection has got. LOTS of boxes of books. Lots of boxes of heavy hardback books!! Deciding what to keep and whats got to go is going to be a pain.

Especially when the aim is to keep one big box (no, no actually TWO big boxes!)
                      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        Link, please?

Comment

*hang up new poster over water cooler*

Wraith, just google it and it you'll get the full text.
                          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

*checks wallet to see if he can afford poster and in process dislodges a dead moth, an avalanche of dust and an angry spider*

Nice poster. I think I'll just enjoy the virtual version...

Other frequent and annoying spelling and grammar issues that bug me: people writing 'defiantly' when they mean 'definitely', 'villian' when they mean 'villain' and the worst one - 'would of' when they mean 'would have'.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

*puts up another (RPG) poster next to Maths Piglets*

We don't kneed no cilly speling exampells!!
                              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

*Face Palm*

I know I could've Googled Sun Tsu... But I actually wanted a copy of my own.
                                I think I've got 'On War' somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                                X