Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Not so much $400 for pencils as for all the various school supplies necessary, along with the fees for this and that and the other activity or extracurricular... many of which were free back in the Stone Age when I went to school.

As for things from the Nixon administration, that reminds me that I need to clean out the rest of the stuff I have in storage from my dad's old house... *shudder*
    I bet that stuff hasn;t see nthe light of day since the Civil War O.o

But yes, to actually have to buy the stuff, when over here the schools supply it and all you need to perchase is a notebook or laptop to do studywork with, its a nightmare in America, I'm amazed kids even bother with it all. I finished my schooling though. and did the right thing, I forgot about 80% of it with the stance on life that, knowing the exact perctage of pi does zero good when a bear is mauling you

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

*wanders in, notices stale snacks and the too-quiet environs*

Where the heck is everyone?

*listens to echoes*
      Redoing the kitchen kept us very busy for two weeks. It is finished now and thing of beauty and a joy forever! But today I took everything out of the china cabinet - washed and polished the silver, china and crystal. Everything sparkles now!

I've also been planning for school's start.

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      Packing. Moving tomorrow. Urgh...
      Gah, seriously. We're moving at the end of the month...
      We've been in the same house for 31 years. Moving would fill me with dread.

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      Overrated.
      Absolutely. Have some chocolate!
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        I bet that stuff hasn;t see nthe light of day since the Civil War O.o
        Depends on whose civil war we're talking about. My family wasn't even on this continent when the US one took place.

But yes, to actually have to buy the stuff, when over here the schools supply it and all you need to perchase is a notebook or laptop to do studywork with, its a nightmare in America, I'm amazed kids even bother with it all. I finished my schooling though. and did the right thing, I forgot about 80% of it with the stance on life that, knowing the exact perctage of pi does zero good when a bear is mauling you
        When I was a schoolkid (from 1969 to 1982), we only had to bring our own notebook, and maybe a few extra pens/pencils, etc. Textbooks, a basic supply of crayons, etc., for the younger grades, etc. were provided free of charge by the schools. Extra-curricular activities were generally free as well; I don't recall paying extra for art club, French club, drama club, choir or any of that. Maybe a few dollars for drill team/marching band, but that was about it. I have no idea what any of this costs now, as I don't have children.

I actually retained the bulk of what I learned in school though, since I'm kind of an information geek (which is a good thing to be, I've found, if you're a writer).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Depends on whose civil war we're talking about. My family wasn't even on this continent when the US one took place.

When I was a schoolkid (from 1969 to 1982), we only had to bring our own notebook, and maybe a few extra pens/pencils, etc. Textbooks, a basic supply of crayons, etc., for the younger grades, etc. were provided free of charge by the schools. Extra-curricular activities were generally free as well; I don't recall paying extra for art club, French club, drama club, choir or any of that. Maybe a few dollars for drill team/marching band, but that was about it. I have no idea what any of this costs now, as I don't have children.

I actually retained the bulk of what I learned in school though, since I'm kind of an information geek (which is a good thing to be, I've found, if you're a writer).
          1911 Civil War that ended the Qing Dynasty here in my homeland is the war I mean, anyhow, yeah, my schools were the same way, Canton Elementary, and also homecshooled most of my life as well as a private tutor of Wu Tang sect, and also Shaolin sect as well. Finished all of my schooling, Martial arts and all. heck the only thing I recall ever buying when I went to school was a backpack, that was it. What drove my teachers crazy though was that I always had the same pencil for about a whole grade before getting a new one.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Hmmm... 1911... one of my grandparents was still in Europe. Wow, strange to think about that!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

My ONLY computer -a laptop - decided it was no longer happy with our relationship and in what the computer tech described as a 'grizzly scene' it fried it's motherboard.

It's dead.
              It has ceased to be.
              It is an ex-computer.
              It is singing with the choir invisible.

Luckily they CAN retreive the data from the hard drive, so I won't lose all my WIPs, digital pics, etc. Unfortunately with funds quite low, it is unlikely that I will be getting a new one until AT LEAST payday (9/1/11).

I can briefly check email at work, and I still get email updates of thread posts, so I get to spy on what's going on, but I'm frustrated that I'm missing all the fun!

I also can't finish any of my WIPs because the parts I have written are inaccessible until we get a new computer. I'm hand-writing things that pop into my head in the meantime and trying to keep my muse tethered to life.

Say a prayer for my sanity. *sigh* so frustrating.
              Sara B.
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                Sara B.
                The wah-hot now!?!

I thought the padded walls here in the cooler would of given it away (granted having padded walls means we can jump all over the ball pit, but that's not the point)

Don't worry my PC has gone off too, so I'm having to be on the SLOW old computer atm. And then there's the amount of stuff i need to generally get sorted. Boo

Looks like we're in the same boat Sara. ... You want to row and I'll sit at the front shouting 'STROKE' ???
                [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                  Looks like we're in the same boat Sara. ... You want to row and I'll sit at the front shouting 'STROKE' ???
                  Why did I immediately think of Mr Burns from The Simpsons when you said that?
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                    How about the two of you row and I try to sort my own WIPs out up on the prow ? O.~

Comment

*hoists a sail and prays that all the currently working computers in this household continue to function properly*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        My ONLY computer -a laptop - decided it was no longer happy with our relationship and in what the computer tech described as a 'grizzly scene' it fried it's motherboard.

It's dead.
                        It has ceased to be.
                        It is an ex-computer.
                        It is singing with the choir invisible.

Luckily they CAN retreive the data from the hard drive, so I won't lose all my WIPs, digital pics, etc. Unfortunately with funds quite low, it is unlikely that I will be getting a new one until AT LEAST payday (9/1/11).

I can briefly check email at work, and I still get email updates of thread posts, so I get to spy on what's going on, but I'm frustrated that I'm missing all the fun!

I also can't finish any of my WIPs because the parts I have written are inaccessible until we get a new computer. I'm hand-writing things that pop into my head in the meantime and trying to keep my muse tethered to life.

Sara B.
                        Oh, no! Computerless! I hope you do not suffer too badly from withdrawal.

Comment

I got up at 4:30am this morning to get my FIL to the hospital by 6:15 for his surgery. Sadly it could not be done laparoscopically, so he's in the hospital for several days.

Sigh....convincing him to come stay here while he recuperates is going to be difficult.

Comment

*hugs* Here's wishing you all the best!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Hijacked my hubby's computer in his office for a little jaunt to the watercooler.

mathpiglet:
                              good luck with the FIL -I know how hard-headed and independent gentlemen of this generation can be.

ALL:
                              Thanks for all the care/concern about my pathetic position. I LOVED the 'boat' analogy -especially being from a boat culture.
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Just into a different house/apartment. Not out of town or anything; that's next year.
                                We just moved to VA from Louisville, KY August 2010 -and we're not leaving unless they fire us AND take out a restraining order!! Seriously: 19 years of marriage, 7 moves to 7 seperate cities/states...I'm DONE. We're in a rental, so eventually we'll have to buy a house and move in. I hate moving.

Richard:
                                Sorry to hear about the constant moves -I'm one of those who never moved until I went to college. Small town living with almost everybody related to me in the same town -which does carry it's own problems.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X