No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, it does. Ghost of Silver Cliff is amazing.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      i gave up on comics a long time ago. justice league used to be just great, funny and angsty...then you'd get 'hits' like Gen 13 where the biggest draw (no pun intended) was the lead female getting in a plane crash that, wonder that, just happened to rip her clothing into barely covering bits.

just got too OTT to me. they cranked out as much as they could, as quickly as they could, and they were pretty much shallow junk.

got tired of it, and the endless rebooting everytime the writers got themselves in a twist
      TBH i'd say 'things have changed' but 'DC Comics' is shutting its doors in August, and then a new comic house called 'DC Comics' is launching in September, sssooooooo

And i COULD defend the comic book industry, but i don't like THOSE types of comics too begin with Anyone remeber Cam Mitchell's wise words about 'the audience' in 200? (theres no transcript on GW...darn it)

Having a library with a fantastic stock of graphic novels, and finding James Robinson 'Starman' series first was a gift from the nerd gods!

Ever heard of 'Maus' Skydiver?
      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
        Ever heard of 'Maus' Skydiver?
        Yes, and it was cool, though I'm not Sky, Maus was a really cool gaphic novel serial, I loved how the cats were the germans, and the mice were the Polish or the jews, It felt, well, it felt like a new way of seeing the Nazi Germany movement to me, if it offends anyone of how I am saying this I merely mean it is a new way of looking at WWII, at least to me, I nerrver envisioned it that way before.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

MITCHELL
          Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

EDIT:
            whoa. Got ninja'd by fem. Thanks Fem, couldn't remeber that line!

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            Yes, and it was cool, though I'm not Sky, Maus was a really cool gaphic novel serial, I loved how the cats were the germans, and the mice were the Polish or the jews, It felt, well, it felt like a new way of seeing the Nazi Germany movement to me, if it offends anyone of how I am saying this I merely mean it is a new way of looking at WWII, at least to me, I nerrver envisioned it that way before.
            To explain her highness excitement a little bit more clearly:

Originally posted by Wikipedia copy/paste.
            Maus: A Survivor's Tale, by Art Spiegelman, is a biography of the author's father, Vladek Spiegelman, a Polish Jew and Holocaust survivor. It alternates between descriptions of Vladek's life in Poland before and during the Second World War and Vladek's later life in the Rego Park neighborhood of New York City. The work is a graphic narrative in which Jews are depicted as mice, while Germans are depicted as cats.
            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
              To explain her highness excitement a little bit more clearly:
              Much thanks and yes, mostly by way of the food chain the cats are up there whereas the mice are not, its a good story, two books I think it was, read them both. it was really well written

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

*cleans the counter, restocks the snacks*
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

*brings in tray of seasonal fruit and fruit dip, sets it on the counter that mathpiglet has obviously cleaned*

Quiet around here...

I was just thinking that it is crazy how you can be laboring so diligently on a fic, and be getting nowhere, and all of a sudden a ficlet will practically write itself in your head. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?

I still need inspiration to smack me upside the head on the the main fic!!! *grumbles incoherently*
                  sigpic
                  sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                  "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

My fics keep inspiring my friend to draw crazy SGA pictures. I'm not sure if I'm flattered or convinced we're both insane.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Shrug, inspiration is no problem almost ever, i'm filled with ideas. I just want that damn USB to Brain connection so i can actually you know... write it all down! :@ :@ :@

It's the fact that even at top speed, i can only write so much, and then i realise i need it betaed by someone who rather than knows how to speak the english language with eloquence, can actually WRITE with eloquence! :@ :@ :@
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                        Shrug, inspiration is no problem almost ever, i'm filled with ideas. I just want that damn USB to Brain connection so i can actually you know... write it all down! :@ :@ :@

It's the fact that even at top speed, i can only write so much, and then i realise i need it betaed by someone who rather than knows how to speak the english language with eloquence, can actually WRITE with eloquence! :@ :@ :@
                        Same here.

I need to find someone to trade betaing with.

Comment

Well it also depends what kind of beta you're after. I'm particularly partial to technical minded betas with a good grasp of grammar. (totally didn't mean that allieration, it just came out )

In simpler terms, someone to give my nonsensical fantasy some depth

If i ever beta something, i'll typically focus on characters and their interaction. That's what i'm good at! (big happy dog smile)

tumblr_lolt55bRCg1qzoyzeo1_400.jpg
                          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Personally I would find it unfair towards a beta to rely on them to turn your crap into a good story, especially if you expect them to do the whole technical stuff. After all, you're the one who's (supposed to be) writing the fic, not them. In my mind a beta is someone who checks your stuff for spelling, grammar, characterization, consistency, facts, plots etc and will raise questions about anything left unclear or simply point out badly written lines/scenes/chapters. Some input from an area of their expertise would come in handy, but you are the one that's writing the fic. You can't expect them to rewrite your entire story.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              Personally I would find it unfair towards a beta to rely on them to turn your crap into a good story, especially if you expect them to do the whole technical stuff. After all, you're the one who's (supposed to be) writing the fic, not them. In my mind a beta is someone who checks your stuff for spelling, grammar, characterization, consistency, facts, plots etc and will raise questions about anything left unclear or simply point out badly written lines/scenes/chapters. Some input from an area of their expertise would come in handy, but you are the one that's writing the fic. You can't expect them to rewrite your entire story.
                              Amen!
                              My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

what I expect from my beta

find my typos
                                Point out plot holes
                                don't be afraid to tell me 'umm, would this character really do this????'

then, as I should listen to the first 2 points, if we disagree about the third one, don't get yer knickers in a knot because maybe I see the character differently from you.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X