Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW: Linky to a comic for all those people who've had "that" idea
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
      My cat acts like the one in the comic.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Mine too, especially my black one.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          Mine too, especially my black one.
          Mine's almost black.

He also kept heabutting my story away when I was trying to edit it.
          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            I will write in front of the laptop, but also good old fashioned pen and paper. Since i can write slower by hand, i tend to think better.
            Only do the whole pen and paper thing when I'm at work, waiting for photoshop to complete an action or Bridge to finish a contact sheet... But my brain is too fast for my hand to follow so I forget words and/or contract words that shouldn't be contracted in the first place, which makes my handwriting extremely funny to read afterwards.

Unfortunately.... yes... ...cat included.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
              *hug*
              Thank you! There is more time today!

That was cute!
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

My handwriting was always much slower than my brain, so much so as to be nearly indecipherable. And that was before I became accustomed to using a computer for my writing! Now if I try to do it longhand, it's largely an exercise in frustration - first in the writing it down, and later in the attempt to figure out exactly what I meant when I scrawled all over the page.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

How did I not know about this? Lord have mercy, we can't possibly go off topic in here!

Ok, I've been poking around, and I'd like to know, how do I find a beta for a Sanctuary short? And is FF.net worth using? I'd like to at least put my short story up somewhere and get some feedback. Is there something else, something better? I intend to submit future stuff to ralst.com, but I don't think this one quite qualifies.
                  Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                  Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

FF.net is actually a pretty good place to post stories if you want feedback. Be careful with their ratings system - if you're writing something that's rated M (mature), be sure to label it as such. Though from what you've said about your writing, and what I've read of it, your material should fall under T. Perhaps the upper end of T, but still T.

Finding a beta on FF.net shouldn't be that difficult.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Although I did not write much today, I did solve one major plot point!

*does a little happy dance around the water cooler*
                      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Okay, okay, okay. First of AllyCat B-R-E-A-T-H its only a fan fiction (*cocks shotgun* *defends self* you know what i mean! ).

Don't let it take over.

Maybe if its getting out of control, the best idea is to put the idea down, or in a folder, or somewhere out of the way...

and start again

Yep. Start Again. Start over from scratch. From zilch. Nothing. Nadda. Blank Page. Chapter One. Chapter Zero. The Prologue! (The front cover?).

Just start with the characters, and your main story idea. Keep this idea small and brief, like the blurb on the back of a book, to start off with.

And then go from there, but go down a new route building on your experience (and problems) from the rabid plot bunny infested idea. Don't follow the old idea at all. Forget the old story because things. can. be. changed!!

That scene that HAS to be in Chapter Two? ... Why not stick it in Chapter One?

That character who can-not-be-seen because its meant to be an EPIC twist!! Scrap them and go with a different character you can introduce/hint at before hand.

That hilariously funny scene thats not really relevant but you want to keep it anyway? Yep, adios amigos don't need you anymore!

I've done it before, and wow did it help with the problems!
                        Actually I was about to do that exact thing. I figured that perhaps this just wasn't the time for THAT story, as it seemed to shrink away each time I tried. So, I deleted it all actually and have started the Zero Chapter over and although the premese is still the same, I have noticed that even my plot line is changing slightly. We shall see ...

HA! Tottally epic! Been there, done that and that cat is my Anubis...
                        This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Oh, beating writers block is SO easy: you poke it with a stick until it goes away!
                          I mean jeez its not that hard now is it??

I tend to 'beat' it by going and writing/creating/doing something else. Doesn't have to be fan fiction or writing, but maybe something you've been putting off for a while, or something you've been meaning to do.

eg: I've recently moved, and i've realised i've got way, way, way, WAY too much stuff than i expected, so i'd properly go do some de-cluttering!

Something to get you thinking differently, and then with said 'thing/problem' out of the way or complete, you might find you can attack the 'writers block' more succesfully.

That, or a little retail therapy. TOO AMAZON!!! ;p

(hmm. I think I've realised why i have so much clutter...)
                          This, exactly, down to the recent move, the clutter, and a tendency toward buying second-hand books.

If I am stuck the best thing to do is move my body: take a walk, change the scenery, do the dishes. Exercise is excellent for the brain. Don't discount it. My poor mom cannot grasp that if she would step away from her work and do a little yoga or walk, that it would help her focus. Instead she stresses out over it and says she doesn't have time for a 5 minute stretch. She stays glued to the computer and it's taking a toll on her body. Don't be that person!

ETA: Choo and WraithRichard and whoever else gets stuck in one spot on a story - if you have a notion of where it's going, I'd try writing a later scene. (I just did this myself and I'm happy with the way it turned out, personally.) Then you at least have somewhere specific to go, even if you can't figure out how to get the train out of the station.

Falcon Horus, I've had the same problem with the tub. It's because we are relaxing and trying not to think! So the ideas line up to bombard us. Grr. Got one of my cutest little design ideas staring at the dang overflow drain on the tub. Oh well, at least the ideas show up. When I was younger I kept a notebook on the floor by the bed with a pen stuck in it so I wouldn't have to go searching on my desk. Got quite a few poems that way, but still haven't figured out a way to get any music out, though I get some pretty cool stuff going sometimes. Too bad I don't have a line out on my brain. Anyway, these days I just grab the laptop. Ta-da! Instant light and an endless notepad.
                          Last edited by Feast of the Muse; 21 April 2011, 07:58 PM.
                          Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                          Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

Yay!
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

Congratulations! That's always a good feeling!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

SF, I've gotten myself signed up on ff net. Now waiting for the 'spam filter delay' to be over so I can use the dang thing. If any of you publish there, please let me know so I can favorite you.

*raises a cup of water to mathpiglet* Good on ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X