No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the stats, fems! I think the beef of the reviews (yep, there's another one now) is that I chose to have Sam's attacker be a black man. For that reason they feel like I'm perpetuating racial stereotypes and will be hurting some people's feelings. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. My initial reaction is: why aren't they mad that a man was portrayed as the attacker? Or, that a woman was portrayed as the victim?

The more time I spend thinking about this, the more upset I am. There's a portion of the original review that says:
    I am certain this was never your intention but the repeated adjectives of darkness with regard to the Jaffa play into old cultural memes about sexuality, violence and race. The presence of Teal'c as a strong, grounded subsidiary character isn't really mitigating that for this reader.
    So...two mentions of a black man being the main aggressor in this fic are more egregious than many scenes of a strong and thoughtful friendship between a Sam and yet another black man are restorative?

I'd worry that I'd personally affronted the first reviewer, except s/he seems to be coming at it from a place of political correctness. I don't think this is an issue of race but rather an issue of a bad guy doing a bad thing. I don't think I went out of my way to paint black people as bad. I don't think I even really harped on the fact that the character was black. Unless I'm sorely mistaken (after all, I only wrote the damn thing), there really were only two references to the color of his skin.

Was I really out of line? Do I have to ensure that anytime I write a bad guy he's white? Just to...I don't know... Even the score? Why should I have to base my characters on ANYTHING other than the necessary juxtapositions, models or characteristics to tell the story? Do I have a social responsibility to never make minorities into bad guys?

At this point I feel I need to address this with the reviewers but I'm starting to get angry instead of defensive and that's not a good place to comment from either. The first reviewer suggested I go back and excise some adjectives from the story. Those are the only two sections from with any adjectives pertaining to the coloration of the Jaffa could be inferred. Does s/he have a point? Am I standing my ground too firmly?

Spoilered for the two places in the story I could find where any race could be inferred. Though, in the second, the implication wasn't entirely race but meant to be a metaphor for the people in their entirety.
    Spoiler:

A Jaffa, broad and dark, pierces her with his eyes.
    She reflects on the differences between Jack and the giant Jaffas. Many were frighteningly large where Jack is thinner, shorter, and far less intimidating. The Jaffa were dark like molasses and Jack is like the last rays of moonlight that tangle with the sun.

(I'm harping, I know. But I'm upset that I'm either completely oblivious to an egregious mistake making me an actual racist or that I'm being unjustly accused of latent racism.)
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

I am certain this was never your intention but the repeated adjectives of darkness with regard to the Jaffa play into old cultural memes about sexuality, violence and race. The presence of Teal'c as a strong, grounded subsidiary character isn't really mitigating that for this reader.
      ... this guy knows there white Jaffa right? hell dose this guy knows that this is fiction?... oh by the may if you EVER see this "old cultural memes about sexuality, violence and race" it a social justice Warrior and you can stop paying attention. their all nuts and half of them are raciest (but if you call them on that they'll just say that only white straight males are raciest) so not a good crowd to talk to.

By the way if you want to avoid that crowd some times it best not to tell what a person looks like by race, i only give country of origin, hair collar, eye collar, height and a few other things, i let the person Deeds tell the story about them and led the reader mind fill the rest.
      I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
      7th Fleet Lost
      http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

If I were you, I wouldn't change a damn thing, Amara. It's your story and the fact that this bothers those two (out of how many?) reviewers says more about them than it does about you. They are the ones who can't see past the color of the bad guy's skin and, for some reason, think this therefore applies to all people with said skin color. Maybe it's just me, but to me that sounds like racism. But hey, if you make the bad guy white all is right with the world because, obviously, only white people do such crimes, right?

I never really understood the whole white Jaffa thing anyway, considering the Goa'uld took Egyptians and such (who usually aren't white, especially not in that time) with them to spread throughout the galaxy and thus it makes more sense for their descendants (the Jaffa) to be dark skinned.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

As promised here are a few pictures of Simone Bailly, Sharon Taylor and myself taken at Chevron 8.1 during the quiz on the Sunday afternoon.

Spoiler:

This pair were taken during the 1st quiz round.

These were taken whilst Simone and I acted out a scene from the SG-1 episode 1969. Alex Zahara who played Michael in the episode was also on stage.

It was a fun afternoon. And a fun quiz.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I never really understood the whole white Jaffa thing anyway, considering the Goa'uld took Egyptians and such (who usually aren't white, especially not in that time) with them to spread throughout the galaxy and thus it makes more sense for their descendants (the Jaffa) to be dark skinned.
            ah it a show... though you can make the case that they took people from medieval Europe, and caltic France.. but really if your going to be asking that i have to point out that at that time Egyptian were from asia so the people from the middle east and African make no since ether.
            I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
            My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
            7th Fleet Lost
            http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

Amara, you know I've been glued to your story the whole way through and I didn't even realise you had ided the Jaffa as black! I took your description as metaphorical in how Sam perceives him versus Jack. Please don't change anything, I think you have two over analyzers for reviewers and that's all

Comment

@ Amara -- I'd say stick to your story as it is. I read the two excerpts and I didn't see anything wrong with.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

After a lot of venting, thinking, and input from, well, all of you I'm feeling much better now. I no longer feel, as I put it elsewhere, a failure of the progressive movement. It hit me hard, probably, because while I don't really do politically correct, I'm an incredibly open and typically fair minded person. For someone to insinuate that I was exacerbating racial stereotypes actually challenged more than my writing but my own self image. I've been writing for the public for over 15 years and I've had my fair share of bad reviews. This wasn't that. As a matter of fact, the reviewers were otherwise complimentary. This felt personal and that, to me, is where lines get crossed.

Thanks again to everyone who put in their two cents. You were hugely helpful. Unless otherwise prompted, I'm not even going to reply to those comments. First of all, someone already did so with a cooler head than I could have. Second of all, both reviews were unsigned and, therefore, I'm unsure a response will ever even be seen.

So I'm giving my body permission to lower my blood pressure back into a healthy range and for my brain to turn loose of this and focus on more pleasurable tasks. Like writing.

Comment

Slightly random question - since I've just built a new PC I'm looking to replace my old and clunky (yet astoundingly reliable) decade old keyboard and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

The current one is an old Microsoft Office keyboard with lots of extra gubbins... very dependable, has never let me down, but it's grubby, old, loud and surprisingly unresponsive, requiring rather more force for every keypress than a keyboard should really require. Not ideal for gaming or writing, really.

I've been looking online, but any suggestions and direct experience would be very welcome.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                      As promised here are a few pictures of Simone Bailly, Sharon Taylor and myself taken at Chevron 8.1 during the quiz on the Sunday afternoon.

Spoiler:
                      http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps97a042a5.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...psfe9b128c.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2b949af0.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps5d9e0f66.jpg

These were taken whilst Simone and I acted out a scene from the SG-1 episode 1969. Alex Zahara who played Michael in the episode was also on stage.

It looks like a LOT of fun. I'm so glad you had a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

Spoiler:
                        http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps97a042a5.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...psfe9b128c.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2b949af0.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps5d9e0f66.jpg

It looks like a LOT of fun. I'm so glad you had a great time!

Comment

@Amara
                          Read your story, it's not racist at all and it sounds like someone is just projecting. That's on them, not you
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                            Slightly random question - since I've just built a new PC I'm looking to replace my old and clunky (yet astoundingly reliable) decade old keyboard and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

The current one is an old Microsoft Office keyboard with lots of extra gubbins... very dependable, has never let me down, but it's grubby, old, loud and surprisingly unresponsive, requiring rather more force for every keypress than a keyboard should really require. Not ideal for gaming or writing, really.

I've been looking online, but any suggestions and direct experience would be very welcome.
                            I also have a microsoft keyboard and am very happy with it. It is longer/wider than most standard (office) keyboards which makes it more comfortable to work on, in my opinion. A couple of years ago I had a different and cheaper keyboard which was mostly fine and had one of those extension thingies where you could basically rest the balls of your hands against while typing and I found that comfy too. One thing I would suggest is to just go to a large computer store and check out their collection of keyboards and just start typing. Some have large keys that require you to press relatively hard while others make you worry whether you'll damage the board by pressing normally. Also, make sure the keys are of the same size as the ones you have now, because the keyboards at work drive me crazy with their itsy bitsy keys that make me mistype everything. Such things can be very frustrating and take a lot of time to adjust to.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I had to laugh at one of my work colleagues.
                              I had bought my 'Autograph and Photograph' file into work as another colleague had asked to see who I had met.

My colleague moaned that I'd had a lot of pictures with a lot of pretty ladies...! And he thought it was unfair.
                              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                              To thy own self... Be true
                              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

It is not over. The OP posted again. I sunk to responding. I will say this, though: at least now s/he has other issues with the story so it's clear s/he's paying attention to what's going on and is thinking about things. That's great news in that we're not talking about somebody who is just hooking onto something in passing.

And please don't misunderstand - this person is otherwise generally happy with the story. Except for the darkness issue (and a couple of other minor things s/he'd have warned me against if s/he were my beta). I've been advised to do what I want, though, so...yay? At this point, I think I'm just pissed about the tone the whole thing has taken which is why I eventually responded. Of course, now I'm mad at myself for engaging.

Comment

Working...
                                X