Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L4 of the WEST View Post
    hmm maybe i guess i could look in to that *strokes chin* how the editing there? can you edit what you already posted?
    Indeed you may edit things already uploaded. Even though I myself use it daily {All my writing and GIMP artwork {if one wants to call it that}} get uploaded to my deviantart account on there. The uploading is pretty simple. I think we have a setpbystep guide somewhere about how to do it. Not really sure though. It is also quite free unless you want to pay extra for a premium account which is not really a new account, but really just adds some perks, {adfree for example, or a twitter widget, or another folder of stuff widget, etc} If you're really good at coding, some users, mostly staff of dA have recoded their profile pages to really look cool. Me, if I could code, I'd really tweak my page to look like my profile page here on GW.

All in all, I find it easier. The staff are friendly, we have loads of new features coming in the future. And I'm also part of the Alpha Beta Tester team as well {I focus soley on writing related troubles though. Since in my app for the job I expressed my wanting to make DA a place where writers can show off their hard work, even if it's a fanfiction story.} We allow all sorts of artwork within some limits, we have a few policies on copyright, so fanwork {writings, artwork, etc are allowable to be posted up} is allowable, movie screenshots are also allowed as long as permission from the producing company is granted to the uploader {I myself have permission to upload items from my own productions I've been in and also other productions by the same company I work for}

All in all, its a vwery nice place, and its very easy once you get used to it.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by L4 of the WEST View Post
      hmm well two things you just solved my conundrum about getting another beta since i don't want to stop using my friend as a beta
      and two do you happen to know where i should look for a writing group?
      To your second question; my only offers of aid and advice, is to pop onto deviantART and give it a looksee, see if it is for you and all that. Then pop on over to http://www.roleplaygateway.com its both a writing site and roleplaying online site. we offer help and aide to those that need it

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Did you ever watch West Wing? There's a great quote on that show…

President Josiah Bartlet: ...You got a best friend?

Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: Yes, sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Is he smarter than you?

Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: Yes, sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: That's your chief of staff.
        It's very much that way with finding a beta. The beta has to be better than you, smarter than you, more able to ferret out a turn of phrase that sparkles like a diamond than you, and most importantly, better read than you. (Incidentally, that's why people frequently use more than one.) In fanfic, betas are usually writers in their own right since all things considered we're a pretty small community. But also, generally speaking RL friends make crappy betas. You need someone who isn't afraid to tell you when your work sucks - and real life friends are pretty bad at that. Take a good, long look at your beta/friend. Is this person enhancing the quality of your writing? Either way, get a back-up. And a back-up for your back-up.

As far as writers' groups, they can be fairly exclusive. Google writers groups within your chosen fandoms. Choose some fanfic writers you really like and approach them. You'll likely need to organize your own, but you may fall into one that already exists. Don't get frustrated when some of the groups fizzle before they really get started. These things take a commitment and we've all got real lives off the 'net. If you're persistent, if you want to be better and you show progress, you'll find a group (or a solid network) you can work within.

Edit: To be clear, I'm using the royal you above.
        Last edited by Amara D'Angeli; 04 February 2014, 05:45 PM.
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

*is looking at the deviant art idea* hmm alright

never watched west wing and cookie technically not a RL friend but your point stands as she is a really close friend... that and English is not her first language...
          Last edited by L4 of the WEST; 04 February 2014, 05:47 PM.
          I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
          My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
          7th Fleet Lost
          http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

Reasons confirmed why I love this thread so much...
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

*finishes off coffee, brews more* Oh, and I ate the last jelly doughnut.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Grrr.... ready to kill something... can be a big something...

Comment

*holds up hands placatingly*

I'll go get more jelly doughnuts. Easy, there, FH.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Oh no... well yes, more jelly doughnuts is always nice to have... but I'm rather PO'd about something that has nothing to do with food.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Oh no... well yes, more jelly doughnuts is always nice to have... but I'm rather PO'd about something that has nothing to do with food.
                      *Hands FH jelly doughnut and a cup of coffee* Hope that helps, though. :/ Feel betters, k?
                      sigpic

Comment

Ooh, could somebody pour me some coffee?

I'm having first world problems this morning - my assistant isn't here and she makes way better coffee than I do...

(And no, that's not just stupid-boss talking, that's she-honest-to-goodness-makes-better-coffee and won't tell me how many scoops she puts in for a full pot. )

Comment

:: Opens a fresh pack of ground coffee and fills the coffee maker with water ::
                          :: adds the coffee filter and coffee, sets the maker going ::
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                            *Hands FH jelly doughnut and a cup of coffee* Hope that helps, though. :/ Feel betters, k?
                            Thanks.

I just had a melted-cheese incident... laughed at my own clumsiness, that also helps with the current stress.

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                            (And no, that's not just stupid-boss talking, that's she-honest-to-goodness-makes-better-coffee and won't tell me how many scoops she puts in for a full pot. )
                            That's evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Thanks.

I just had a melted-cheese incident... laughed at my own clumsiness, that also helps with the current stress.
                              I don't think I can ever be thankful enough for living alone. Some of the boneheaded things I pull...I'm just glad there's usually no one around to see them! (And my dogs will never tell...)

That's evil.
                              I know, right?!? I think she looks at it like job security.

She's not wrong.

Comment

I don't think I can ever be thankful enough for living alone. Some of the boneheaded things I pull...I'm just glad there's usually no one around to see them! (And my dogs will never tell...)
                                So second that. And I have guppies instead that will never tell...

I know, right?!? I think she looks at it like job security.

She's not wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X