No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was born and raised in the only bilingual area of my country, so I often hear the "oh, you don't/hardly have an accent!" outside said area. Strangely enough, I was told I had an English accent last week but I had been speaking a bit of English (with foreigners) the day before, so maybe it had lingered... Anyway, I often get comments on my accent or lack thereof, so I really don't understand what there is to be offended about.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

so i'm just going to ask it is posting crossover here fiction allowed?
      I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      My Stargate SG1/Starship Toopers (based on Mongoose Publishing work) crossover
      7th Fleet Lost
      http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...ssover.281314/
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9110517/1/7th-Fleet-Lost

Comment

Originally posted by L4 of the WEST View Post
        Short answer, yes.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

long answer?
          7th Fleet Lost

Comment

long answer?

Fanfic 'rules' thread
            Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

okay well i'm still not sure now on the basest that it is to long (16 chapter going on 18) so not going to make a move
              7th Fleet Lost

Comment

Here? As in, on this thread? There are plenty of fan fic threads for posting the actual fic. Most of us here have links in our sigs to other sites where our fic is located.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Yeah, if you want to reach a wider audience as it were, it's best to upload to fanfic site like Fanfiction.net (ff.net) or Archive of Our Own (AO3).

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                    Here? As in, on this thread? There are plenty of fan fic threads for posting the actual fic. Most of us here have links in our sigs to other sites where our fic is located.
                    not this thread no it would be this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...-Crossover-Fic

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Yeah, if you want to reach a wider audience as it were, it's best to upload to fanfic site like Fanfiction.net (ff.net) or Archive of Our Own (AO3).
                    yeah i post on fanfiction and space battle . com but i'm always looking for more reviews so i can improve the story my style and the writing and i figured i get some real high quality reviews here as whytewytch has already shown when they review chapter 1
                    7th Fleet Lost

Comment

If you write for (a) popular pairing(s) or character(s) you will surely find lots of reviews. Not all of them will be of the standard WW gave you though.

Comment

I personally recommend uploading literature {writings, fanwork included} to deviantart.com mostly because you can set individual chapters for mature or not and can even disable or enable comments per upload as well

In fact I prefer DA over other fic hosting sites because on DA if I do not like certain comments on my stories or artwork, I can simply make them hidden from public view.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

not this thread no it would be this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...-Crossover-Fic

yeah i post on fanfiction and space battle . com but i'm always looking for more reviews so i can improve the story my style and the writing and i figured i get some real high quality reviews here as whytewytch has already shown when they review chapter 1
                          If you write for (a) popular pairing(s) or character(s) you will surely find lots of reviews. Not all of them will be of the standard WW gave you though.
                          *blushes* I try. Wish I had more time to devote to doing more beta reading; I really miss it.

BUT... At least I've gotten to do a bit of writing and researching lately.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

hmmm yeah kind of hard to do since i focus less on paring and more on the story... though is some one were to twist my arm i say there a good possibility of a sam jack relationship down the line since in my mind it's cannon (point to the actual stargate sg1 book where jade O'Neill comes back in time to warn earth of an aschen threat)

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                            I personally recommend uploading literature {writings, fanwork included} to deviantart.com mostly because you can set individual chapters for mature or not and can even disable or enable comments per upload as well

In fact I prefer DA over other fic hosting sites because on DA if I do not like certain comments on my stories or artwork, I can simply make them hidden from public view.
                            hmm maybe i guess i could look in to that *strokes chin* how the editing there? can you edit what you already posted?
                            7th Fleet Lost

Comment

It's been my experience that the highest quality reviews come one of two ways 1) the source is good - which means you dump everything you have into what you're writing and you get it looked over by a beta (or two or three or whatever it takes to put the spit and polish on your work); 2) you join a writers' group that reads and reviews everyone's submissions each week (or fortnight, or month, whichever works for your group).

The fact of the matter is, the higher quality your writing is to begin with the better quality feedback you'll get in return. That might sound backwards, but it's just the way it is. People who are exceptionally good at stringing words together generally won't waste time with someone who won't even run their own spell check (as services are available in most every word processor or free online) and/or haven't a basic command of the language they choose to write in.

The great thing about writers' groups is you learn about safe creative spaces (how important they are and how to create them) and how developing a thick skin makes you a better writer than any semester's worth of grammar courses.

Really good betas are usually really busy. Your turn around time is going to be much, much slower with many of them. Two or three betas who are worth their salt will catch most things for new writers. Keep in mind your basic beta is going to look over your work for grammar, spelling and major plot holes. Really good betas are going to point out potential plot mines and places where you could paint (or have already painted) yourself into a corner. They'll work with you on plot, planning and structure. And they do it for free, so generally they'll not waste their time with a writer who doesn't listen.

I don't know much about you or your work, L4, aside from the quick glance I gave it on FFN so all this advice may be misplaced. However, it's probably good advice for lots of new-ish (and sometimes more seasoned) writers.
                              Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                                *blushes* I try. Wish I had more time to devote to doing more beta reading; I really miss it.

BUT... At least I've gotten to do a bit of writing and researching lately.
                                oh by the way i did that thing you suggested where in end of chapter 1 should have been the begging of chapter 2 on space battle

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
                                It's been my experience that the highest quality reviews come one of two ways 1) the source is good - which means you dump everything you have into what you're writing and you get it looked over by a beta (or two or three or whatever it takes to put the spit and polish on your work); 2) you join a writers' group that reads and reviews everyone's submissions each week (or fortnight, or month, whichever works for your group).

The fact of the matter is, the higher quality your writing is to begin with the better quality feedback you'll get in return. That might sound backwards, but it's just the way it is. People who are exceptionally good at stringing words together generally won't waste time with someone who won't even run their own spell check (as services are available in most every word processor or free online) and/or haven't a basic command of the language they choose to write in.

The great thing about writers' groups is you learn about safe creative spaces (how important they are and how to create them) and how developing a thick skin makes you a better writer than any semester's worth of grammar courses.

Really good betas are usually really busy. Your turn around time is going to be much, much slower with many of them. Two or three betas who are worth their salt will catch most things for new writers. Keep in mind your basic beta is going to look over your work for grammar, spelling and major plot holes. Really good betas are going to point out potential plot mines and places where you could paint (or have already painted) yourself into a corner. They'll work with you on plot, planning and structure. And they do it for free, so generally they'll not waste their time with a writer who doesn't listen.

I don't know much about you or your work, L4, aside from the quick glance I gave it on FFN so all this advice may be misplaced. However, it's probably good advice for lots of new-ish (and sometimes more seasoned) writers.
                                hmm well two things you just solved my conundrum about getting another beta since i don't want to stop using my friend as a beta
                                and two do you happen to know where i should look for a writing group?
                                7th Fleet Lost

Comment

Working...
                                X