No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was nine I was sitting on the top tube of my brother's bicycle (while he was cycling) and somehow (we still haven't agreed on the cause) my foot got caught in the front wheel, which caused us both to fly through the air and land at the bottom of the bridge we were cycling down. My brother was unconscious with his head on the roadside of the bicycle path but I'd managed to roll before hitting the floor and was half sitting. The bike was lying near us, my shoe still stuck in the wheel. I was crying but everyone thought I just had some cuts and bruises on my face, arms, legs and my bare foot which had a tiny cut that was bleeding minimally, so everyone was concerned about my brother. He came to within two minutes but I was still crying hysterically and when my sister tried to comfort me I pushed her away and suddenly threw up.

The ambulances were there pretty quickly (it had happened in front of a gas station and they'd called the ambulance) and we both got a neck brace and probably a sedative because I don't remember much from it... turned out I was the one with the severe injury, because the bone in my big toe was cracked hence the minor cut (still a scar) and my pain. Oh and we both had a minor concussion and some scrapes and bruises. I just had to put my leg in a cast for six weeks and move around in wheelchair and/or on crutches. It healed nicely although that toe is a bit stiffer than the rest and sometimes it cramps up, but I was actually very fortunate according to the doctors in the hospital because they told me if it hadn't been for my sturdy sneakers my foot would have been shattered/smashed. It took two strong guys over 6 feet tall to remove my one shoe from the bike's wheel we were told afterwards because it was really stuck in there. To this day I'm thankful to my sensible mother for buying me said shoes because I'd been a brat and wanted expensive Nikes (like every other kid) but we couldn't afford them and the doctors said Nikes wouldn't have given my foot any protection at all, the effects would have been the same as wearing flip-flops, i.e. shattered foot.

Oh and there was the time I 'tripped' over a fence (the janitor had put a wire along the top and my foot got hooked behind it) and fell flat on my chin. The impact was enough to sedate my tongue which apparently got trapped between my teeth but we didn't realize it and thought my teeth had fallen out because I couldn't feel them and my mouth had filled with blood so no one could see a thing either. But that all turned out okay too, except for one side of my teeth being jammed upwards a bit but that got fixed with braces over time.

I also once flew off a horse and managed to roll with it before hitting the ground, and just dusted myself off and got up again after checking the horse. It occurred while galloping circles around my instructor so she'd gotten a good look at what happened and told me that the horse actually fell first (kinda just sagged through its legs), leaving me nowhere to go but through the air. Anyway, horse turned out to be fine and so did I, although my lower back hurt a bit. When I got home and showered I hoped the stiffness would be gone but it remained and there wasn't any bruising yet... a week later and my mother told me to go to the GP because it still hurt and no bruises had formed; turned out I'd severely bruised my sacroiliac (SI) joint and it never healed properly. Still bothers me to this day, and because of its location the pain/stiffness can go halfway up my back/spine but also down to my leg. I've had PT and manual therapy for it but everything is temporary. Oh and my pelvis also shifts on occasion and they have to manhandle me to get it back into position, but we're not sure whether that's from the fall or because of a condition I have that affects my joints that started around the same age. Either way, it's annoying.

Oh and I once got kicked by a horse. Absolutely not my fault, because a friend in my group suddenly galloped diagonally across the riding arena (?) and ended up not only cutting me off (I was just galloping along the side) but then suddenly pulling on the brakes, which caused her horse to back up and kick at my horse who I'd halted just in time at the unexpected maneuver. Fortunately my horse wasn't injured but the hoof hit me less than a centimeter above my knee. I was lucky in that regard because I was riding a Friesian horse which was smaller than my friend's and my instructor had adjusted the length of my stirrups because she wanted me ride with nearly stretched legs to make me work my calf muscles more. If she hadn't insisted on that before the lesson then my knee would have gotten hit instead.

It still hurt like hell tough but I managed to complete the lesson although I could feel it swelling and my leg getting stiffer. I requested to start cool down five minutes early because of the pain and that was okay but when I eventually got back on my own two feet the pain was worse and I limped a bit when taking the horse back to the stables. We also didn't stay very long afterwards (I rode on Fridays at 2100h and with it being the last hour we usually sat in the bar to talk a while) and once I got home and went to shower I realized it was worse than I thought; the entire hoof imprint was on my leg and it was already bruised and swollen. It looked rather impressive. However, the bad part was that I woke up in the middle of the night and being in pain and extremely uncomfortable; my mother took me to the hospital and there it turned out I'd gotten an infection from said hoof even though the skin had remained intact. I was given antibiotics and crutches to keep the weight off until it healed and you can imagine the surprise on my instructor's face the next week when I came in wearing regular clothes and on crutches... but fortunately the week after everything was almost back to normal and I could ride again. It didn't do any lasting damage
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Okay, I pronounce Fems the winner of all aches!
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Never broken a bone & never had stitches (excluding my major surgery there which included both)...
        My friends in grade school used to brag about their stitches-scars and broken arms. I was jealous. Then I was in a car accident, broke my jaw in two places and dislocated it. Cut my forehead on the unpadded dashboard and had 100 stitches. Then I wasn't jealous any more.

As for sewing machine needles... Anyone who sews a lot and knows people who sew a lot hears and sees a lot of this. I'm a little paranoid about it, and have managed to avoid it so far. Getting hit in the forehead by the thread guide, on the other hand... That used to be a regular occurrence. The only reason it isn't any more is that my new(er) machine has a guard on the guide.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
          My friends in grade school used to brag about their stitches-scars and broken arms. I was jealous. Then I was in a car accident, broke my jaw in two places and dislocated it. Cut my forehead on the unpadded dashboard and had 100 stitches. Then I wasn't jealous any more.
          My sister used to be jealous of the fact that my brother (had ligament issues with his ankles from playing soccer) and I both had to go to hospital, GP and PT on several occasions, until she sprained her ankle a few years back and had to go herself... it never healed properly and it still bothers her now and she's sprained both ankles a few times since then. It also didn't help that we had the same joint condition and where she had been advised against exercises and PT, I was sent to PT and manual therapy when I was diagnosed (a few years after her) and was given exercise etc. Plus the fact that my brother's ankle issues meant he'd spent time in a wheelchair more than once and then years later we had the bike incident and I spent time in a wheelchair too - and she was always the one who ended up pushing us to and from school.

I've also had stitches by the way but always because of surgery, not accidents/injuries.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Due to my extreme flexible joints, I rarely feel any effects from spraining ankles. Heck, I hiked across England on sprained ankle.

The Hadrian's Wall National Trail if anyone's interested.

Comment

Due to my extreme flexible joints, I rarely feel any effects from spraining ankles. Heck, I hiked across England on sprained ankle.
              My BIL did 40 miles of a 50 mile hike with a broken leg. Granted, he didn't know it was broken; he (and those who were with him, including a doctor) thought it was a sprain. It does say something positive about the way it was wrapped by the Boy Scout who treated him (and who happened to be his son).

On the writing front, I actually wrote an entire paragraph last week. I composed it while driving across Washington (state) and then typed it into my computer that evening. It's part of a revision of an existing story.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Considering your profession I thought you'd be able to deal with a little pain once in a while.
                *nods* I have been so far

drowned
                shot
                stabbed
                slashed up
                hit by a truck
                hit by a van
                hit by a sedan
                fell out of a tree
                and lastly; eletrocuted

All part of stuntwork mind you, the eletrocution was actually completely on accident when I stepped on a live wire and burnt my foot

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Holy freakin' hell!

Comment

Holy freakin' hell!
                    It was a pretty good jolt though, burnt my foot just enough to bleed, but that was it. a week in therapy and recovery and I was good as new! Oddly it was the same foot I rammed into that unseen balance beam years ago.

Oh and I accidently stabbed myself and fainted in the shower of internal bleeding which caused my dad to bust the bathroom door open to get to me {Naturally by force of habit I lock the bathroom door when I go in there}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Holy CRAP!
                      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Okay, maybe that award I just handed to Fems should totally go to Awinita instead.

On the upside -- there's gotta be an upside -- when writing injuries, be they small or bigger, one could easily pull stuff from their own experience. I mean, the amount that's been revealed is like a treasure trove (sp?) for whumpers.

Comment

My only real claim to insanity would have to be that I went hiking around with a decided limp for three days at an historical re-creation camping event right before getting my internally torn-up knee diagnosed...

Yes, my campmates did hold an intervention; why do you ask?
                          Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 20 May 2013, 06:46 AM. Reason: Stupid typo!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

when writing injuries, be they small or bigger, one could easily pull stuff from their own experience.
                            Yes, and we'll get it right. One of my hugest peeves is when writers' use a broken jaw as a way to render a character mute.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              Yes, and we'll get it right. One of my hugest peeves is when writers' use a broken jaw as a way to render a character mute.

Seaboe
                              One of the funniest broken jaw moments is when Bud gets his jaw broken by Rabb and Brumby in JAG.
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                                One of the funniest broken jaw moments is when Bud gets his jaw broken by Rabb and Brumby in JAG.
                                Okay, having had one, I can say I didn't think it was very funny (my dad was a complete party-pooper. He wouldn't let me play tag. ). That said, can you direct me to a clip? I don't/ didn't watch JAG.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X