Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
    I don't have conversations with my characters. But I do have a theater background (as in high school theatre club) so when I have a particularly vivid scene stuck in my head, I'll work the dialogue aloud, as though running lines. That way I'm able to see what works and what doesn't.

Typically, I view my stories in my head the same way I would watch a movie or tv show. So talking to my characters is me talking to a character as if I were one of the other characters. Running a scene, in a way.

I dunno if that even makes sense.
    It does, because that's more or less how I do it as well. I have a cinema in my head where I see the stories playing out, and my writing is more or less like I'm doing the novelisation of the film/show in my brain.

We're a nutty lot, aren't we?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      Delightfully so.

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me.

Hell yeah!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yes to all of the above...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I suppose it's a case of....
            "You don't have to be nutty to be on this thread. But it helps..."

I have often found myself talking as I'm typing whatever I happen to be working on. And sometimes what I am working on will change.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

It does, because that's more or less how I do it as well. I have a cinema in my head where I see the stories playing out, and my writing is more or less like I'm doing the novelisation of the film/show in my brain.

Yes.

That's how I do it, too. I'm writing the transcipt (but with scenes and characters' feelings and such) of a show that's playing in my head. When I think about what I just said and the type of stories I'm writing now (the original ones), I shudder a bit.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                NEW QUIZ!!!
                Have you, whenver you are not writing, {say talking a walk for example} Do you talk to yourself like your characters would talk to each other in a scene ? Do you talk to your characters at any give point in time ?
                For one thing, I do, a lot.
                Doing something mundane (washing dishes, taking a walk, etc) usually unlocks the creative part of my brain -new scenes or dialogue unfolds many times. I can't say that I talk with my characters, but many times a scene will unfold and my main character will pause at the end of the action and cast a glance over her shoulder at me, knowing smile on her lips. She's happy for me in those moments.

I don't have conversations with my characters. But I do have a theater background (as in high school theatre club) so when I have a particularly vivid scene stuck in my head, I'll work the dialogue aloud, as though running lines. That way I'm able to see what works and what doesn't.

Typically, I view my stories in my head the same way I would watch a movie or tv show. So talking to my characters is me talking to a character as if I were one of the other characters. Running a scene, in a way.

It works more like this for me, also.

EDIT: I haven't ARGUED with my characters, but I have gotten 'the look' from them from time to time. Jack scares me a little when he gives me 'the look'. SIR...YES SIR...!!
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                  EDIT: I haven't ARGUED with my characters, but I have gotten 'the look' from them from time to time. Jack scares me a little when he gives me 'the look'. SIR...YES SIR...!!
                  Oh, yes. The Look. Frank is an absolute master of The Look. It's pretty much the same one that's in my current user avatar.

Of course, if I get one of THESE, I know I'm really going to have to do some rewriting:

Z-Marshall-R-Teague-AF-Colonel-Frank-Cromwell-Stargate-SG-1.jpg

Frank - The Look.jpg
                  Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 03 September 2012, 12:26 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

sf: Lol
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

One does not have to be nutty to be a writer, but it probably helps. I just like to think we have more fruitful imaginations than most people.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                        One does not have to be nutty to be a writer, but it probably helps. I just like to think we have more fruitful imaginations than most people.
                        Only problem is that you can't return it when you fail to nurture it correctly {me, I feed my imagination and muse hourly, its why I'm loosing sleep}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Quick question about warnings and ratings for a fic, specifically for those of you in the USA (since it's for FFnet); when the subject of abortion comes up and is seriously considered (but not performed in the end) should this be mentioned in the header info under warnings and does it automatically require a T/M-rating?
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm not in the US, but the rating would depend on the overall story. And yes, definitely warn for it in the notes. I wrote a T-story once in which one of the characters was suicidal and I warned for that. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              Quick question about warnings and ratings for a fic, specifically for those of you in the USA (since it's for FFnet); when the subject of abortion comes up and is seriously considered (but not performed in the end) should this be mentioned in the header info under warnings and does it automatically require a T/M-rating?
                              Personally I'm not really on the pro or anti abortion wagon, {just saying to get it out of the way} So in terms of raiting for it, many people I am unsure like to read about a character considering it, personally I'd try to avoid such things, but if it is pivital to the plot as a whole then do it, but not graphically, T is normally the best rating. Unless you get really detailed in which case you'll want to go M

However if you are uploading to DeviantART you can rate individual chapters as required rather then the entire story as a whole

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                However if you are uploading to DeviantART you can rate individual chapters as required rather then the entire story as a whole
                                That's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X