No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm officially in for NaNo, myself. There's a chapter in my area that I'm excited to meet for some writing sections. If it inspires to complete a book, then that's even better!

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
      I have an announcement

As a writer, I cannot wait for November to get here

the reason for this is actually two reasons, the first is, it is Nanowrimo!! The second; Word Wars are hosted on the Nanowrimo chat channel on DeviantART.com's chat network. it keeps track of your wordcount and also keeps track of word wars word counts and word war time limits. In this case say a word war is one minute long, five people are taking part, to see their WPM; in my case I lead with 129WPM {with a lot of errors though in spelling and such} the next closest to me had around 80 I think, don't really remember.

On top of that the word wars when won award points, which are in this case the basic currency on DeviantART, in my case It let me get a 3 month premium membership and beta tester access. DeviantART also sees fanfics, and original fiction stories as a form of artwork. Known as Written Art, or Literature. We even have a category for it!

I'll shut up
      No need to shut up--this is excellent information. I love DeviantART but only ever thought of it as a visual artist's site, not a written word one. It's always good to have one more place to post. As for the Word Wars, I've never heard of them, but they sound interesting.

I've just gone over to the NaNoWriMo site for the first time since 2009 and I remembered my password!
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I did the same this morning. 2009 was the last year I participated, too. I'm so looking forward to this year!
        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
          No need to shut up--this is excellent information. I love DeviantART but only ever thought of it as a visual artist's site, not a written word one. It's always good to have one more place to post. As for the Word Wars, I've never heard of them, but they sound interesting.

I've just gone over to the NaNoWriMo site for the first time since 2009 and I remembered my password!
          Yes indeedy! DeviantART does indeed have a category for Literature, but it is limited to just written stuff, be it fanfic or original works. They are very limited on their code though so some tags we may be used to in our word proccessor software of choice may not work when we final upload. However DA does indeed host written Art as we call it, to DA art, be it written stories, a poem, or a signature, is indeed art. Art is art, be it written or graphic.

But for some weird reason, movie stills are considered offending ? Does not compute

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
            I did the same this morning. 2009 was the last year I participated, too. I'm so looking forward to this year!
            I started in 2006, lost by 3K words, done it ever since, and each year I seem to have more then 10K past the desired target number of words. So since 2006 I've joined the fun, and since 2007 I've won. This will be my six year doing it I think. It started in 2002 or somewhere around there, its been around for ten years or so

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I have a couple of friends who regurlary participate in NaNoWriMo. If I had the whole of November off I would probably join as well, just for the fun of it. However, I don't and thus no writing like crazy for me. Since I had to quit writing for the Femslash Little Bang last year I haven't written anything remotely long or finished anything at all... there are a few short challenge fics, but they usually don't get published anywhere else but the challenge comms simply cause they're not worthy of being let loose on the general public.

I'm currently toying with some ideas, and one is actually an original novel idea which sprang from my evening class concept design in which we had to create a character.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't have November off, either--in fact, quite the opposite. It's been a few years, though, so I'm gonna give it a whirl. GateFan1976, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm thinking of writing a story with character(s) from Scandinavian myths and legends. I am in research mode...
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I don't have November off, either--in fact, quite the opposite. It's been a few years, though, so I'm gonna give it a whirl. GateFan1976, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm thinking of writing a story with character(s) from Scandinavian myths and legends. I am in research mode...
                  I've decided to try my hand at science fiction - a wholly new genre for me to actually muck about in. I'm in research mode myself. On, of all things, the Bermuda Triangle.

Edit: I don't have November off either. Adding insult to injury (or something like that), I'll be back in school then, too. Ah well. Who needs to sleep?
                  Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Makes self Avaliable

Edit to add:
                    If you can get Ukko in a serious mood, he's another good one to ask
                    Last edited by Gatefan1976; 23 July 2012, 02:12 PM.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Good luck finding that switch!

I'm dabbling in fantasy... and when I say dabble, I actually mean dipping my toes in too cold water.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Good luck finding that switch!

It's not as hard as you may think

I'm dabbling in fantasy... and when I say dabble, I actually mean dipping my toes in too cold water.
                        I'm pretty well versed in fantasy as well.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I'm not taking the month off from work to write. That's unrealistic. But I do think that it'll be a good exercise in learning to balance work with writing. So far it seems to be a partial problem for me, but this might be just what I need to break through that particular barrier.

Oddly enough, I use my lunches for writing. I judge a good lunch by whether or not I have cramp in my hand by the time I get back on shift. It's coming home and decompressing that usually gets me frustrated. Grr!

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                            I've decided to try my hand at science fiction - a wholly new genre for me to actually muck about in. I'm in research mode myself. On, of all things, the Bermuda Triangle.

Edit: I don't have November off either. Adding insult to injury (or something like that), I'll be back in school then, too. Ah well. Who needs to sleep?
                            Stocking up on my Folger's coffee that month... I actually decided against taking a class on writing Sci-Fi because it would take up too much of my time; it started today and runs through the end of the year, with lots of reading requirements. I'm wanting to take a class next month on plotting for pantsters with my RWA, but I'm not sure I'll have time even then (I'm off visiting up north for a week next month and then the kids go back to school, which means more homework for Mom that first week or so ).

I LOVE Bermuda Triangle stories. I've always wanted to write something about the area, but with a more mythological bent.
                            sigpic

Comment

Makes self Avaliable

Edit to add:
                              Thanks for the offer. And I echo FH's skepticism of finding a serious Ukko. Perhaps we should look in the Bermuda Triangle?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                                Oddly enough, I use my lunches for writing. I judge a good lunch by whether or not I have cramp in my hand by the time I get back on shift.
                                My lunchbreaks are exactly 30 minutes long so just enough time to have a quick bite, and beyond that nothing much else.

I'm pretty well versed in fantasy as well.
                                I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X