Clear All

Provided for the possible use of those who write swordfights:

io9: Swordfighting - Not What You Think It Is

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting this.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post

I used to fence. And this article opened my eyes a little. There is a lot more to it than just sticking them with the pointy end. Thank you for sharing the link.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I have plenty of swords in my arsenal but I refrain from swinging them around on the account I might actually break something. Sting, I can swing round cause that's a short one but still... when I need to write battle/fight scenes I find it easier to act them out in my head, step by step and describe in a general way what I see.

A friend of mine is a translator (his recent work was the latest Game of Thrones) and he told us once that it's easier for him to act the battles out. Makes the translating go faster... ...and seeing how tiny his room is I'm honestly surprised he hasn't broken anything yet.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My youngest just got his first sword in karate. I ought to get one for his dad for Father's Day.
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I have to admit that I have several lightsabers at home. In Green, Blue and Purple.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                I know! Grrr.... But it did say it could take up to 24 hours for it to show up. Which is retarded. Pft. But whatever. Probably means they're screening the pics...
                Beyond the Stars has its cover image up.
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                  Beyond the Stars has its cover image up.
                  Woohoo! Snazzy, eh?

I'm ridiculously proud of myself.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

There was talk of ff.net taking down MA material. Anyone see that happening yet? Anyone moving stories that are MA or might be borderline? I found a site called Adultfanfiction.net, but don't know what they mean by an "electronic signature". Gonna contact them and try to join so I can see if they have the same stats system for authors. I do like that they protect against under 18s getting onto their site.

I'll be moving my naughty stuff to Dreamwidth this month, copying my reviews as well, and deleting stuff as I go. Not sure if I'll keep my ff.net account or not--I may keep at least the profile open to tell my readers where I've gone, as I've got a lot of them there and would love to tap into them when I start putting my original stories up for sale with Amazon one day. The problem I have is that most of my stories eventually become MA; I write romances and I don't shy away from the details like I used to. Any advice, anyone? Does this sound like a good game plan?
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                      There was talk of ff.net taking down MA material. Anyone see that happening yet? Anyone moving stories that are MA or might be borderline? I found a site called Adultfanfiction.net, but don't know what they mean by an "electronic signature". Gonna contact them and try to join so I can see if they have the same stats system for authors. I do like that they protect against under 18s getting onto their site.

I'll be moving my naughty stuff to Dreamwidth this month, copying my reviews as well, and deleting stuff as I go. Not sure if I'll keep my ff.net account or not--I may keep at least the profile open to tell my readers where I've gone, as I've got a lot of them there and would love to tap into them when I start putting my original stories up for sale with Amazon one day. The problem I have is that most of my stories eventually become MA; I write romances and I don't shy away from the details like I used to. Any advice, anyone? Does this sound like a good game plan?
                      So far I haven't heard about anyone's stories being removed in the Stargate fandom, but some that do write/read Stargate fics have had/seen stories/profiles removed from FFnet in other fandoms.

A lot of my longer fics are M-rated and contain graphic content but I'm not going to take them down. They've been up there since I started and I haven't had any complaints about the graphic nature or something. Since I receive email alerts for reviews/PMs I don't feel the need to save all the reviews I've received on FFnet just in case someone decides to report a fic of mine. Granted, some are very long and the emails truncated but overall I have all of them in my inbox, categorized per fic.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

It was/is a bunch of stupid teenage idiots who went around reporting M-rated stories, and FF.net in their infinite wisdom didn't actually take the time to check what they were deleting so a lot of the fic that was deleted was in select fandoms like HP, Twilight and the likes... the fandoms where you are bound to find a lot of teenagers.

Comment

I don't think it was just Critics United (assuming you meant them) if you look at the sheer number of fics that have been deleted. Just check the overview of TV shows, a lot of numbers are much lower and I think even the "popularity" has been affected by it (looks like a different top 10/20 when sorting on popularity).
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I backed up my stories anyway, just to be on the safe side, and thanks for reminding me that I have all the reviews in my emails, fems. So long as they're not deleting accounts for it, that's fine--I want people to be able to find me still.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              I don't think it was just Critics United (assuming you meant them) if you look at the sheer number of fics that have been deleted. Just check the overview of TV shows, a lot of numbers are much lower and I think even the "popularity" has been affected by it (looks like a different top 10/20 when sorting on popularity).
                              Maybe it spread like a virus... I haven't been up-to-date lately, not after that came through.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Maybe it spread like a virus... I haven't been up-to-date lately, not after that came through.
                                I haven't been reading much, myself, lately--too busy with work, end of school for the kids and moving. Don't know the numbers, either--that's why I was curious if anyone knew. The adult fan fic site said they've seen it happen before and it seems to be happening again, where ff.net will purge all the MA stories. Now, whether that's true or hype for their site, they've had a LOT of new registrations lately. I haven't had time to cross-reference to see if they are the same authors (assuming they're using the same identities) that are on ff.net.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X