Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Titanic fact for you.

Dr. Robert Ballard, the guy who found the Titanic was on BBC Radio 2 earlier today here in the UK. And he was speaking about the search for the Titanic.

Did you know the search was funded in part by the US Goverment ?
    He found the Titanic after completing a job for the US Navy who had lost 2 submarines in the same area during the Cold War. After finding the submarines he was allowed to search for the lost liner. Which they found by following the debris field from the wreck.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

Dr. Robert Ballard, the guy who found the Titanic was on BBC Radio 2 earlier today here in the UK. And he was speaking about the search for the Titanic.

He found the Titanic after completing a job for the US Navy who had lost 2 submarines in the same area during the Cold War. After finding the submarines he was allowed to search for the lost liner. Which they found by following the debris field from the wreck.
      On a closely related note, anybody interested in undersea exploration might do well to check out Bob Ballard's book "The Eternal Darkness". I thoroughly enjoyed it, and if I'm remembering correctly it covers Ballard's career and interest in deep sea exploration, such as the search for the Titanic, a brief history of undersea exploration in general including the Trieste touching down at Challenger Deep, the tragic loss of the Thresher and the subsequent search for it and the astounding story of the Glomar Explorer and 'Project Jennifer'.

Anybody else remember Dr. Ballard presenting those short factoid segments over the end credits of the first season of seaQuest DSV?
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        Anybody else remember Dr. Ballard presenting those short factoid segments over the end credits of the first season of seaQuest DSV?
        Yes I do. I believe Dr. Ballard was an advisor on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

That's cool!

*stores info in brain*

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
          I LOVED THOSE!
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I enjoyed watching SeaQuest DSV. Especially the episodes with Darwin the Dolphin.

Comment

We watched Seaquest with our boys. They both loved it!
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

SeaQuest...now there's a show I have not thought about in a LONG time!!

SF: That exchange with Frank was pretty tame...I'm given to understand that he is not averse to injecting "colorful modifiers" into his speech.
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                  SeaQuest...now there's a show I have not thought about in a LONG time!!
                  Me, either!

SF: That exchange with Frank was pretty tame...I'm given to understand that he is not averse to injecting "colorful modifiers" into his speech.
                  Heheh. He is indeed prone to doing so. But I think he was still in the same mode of speech he was using with Cadogan, and when he speaks to Cadogan, he usually keeps a civil tongue in his head -- in part because Cadogan generally does. Cadogan is actually his commanding officer in Frank's current situation, as well as being a close friend, and Frank serves as something of an adviser to him.

Frank tends to speak pretty respectfully to me as well; he knows I'm as given to "colorful" language as he is, but he also knows he's fully capable of getting his point across to me with nothing stronger than a single four-letter word, if even that.
                  Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 07 April 2012, 08:13 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Well, ha-hay! We have a water cooler!

Huh. Now that I'm here, I'm not sure what to say... Bah. I'll come back!

Comment

Hang on there is something I've not done in a while...!

:: Beams in a selection of Easter themed cakes ::

There you go everyone.

Comment

Yum! Virtual cake -- the guilt-free treat!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                        sigpic
                        now also appearing on DeviantArt
                        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Having just watched (where watched means 'had on in the background while I was writing but with low volume') Mission to Mars, it got me thinking, which is never a good thing.

Now, as science fiction and probably science and space fans I'm guessing a lot of you have heard of the Mars Curse, wherein an apparently disproportionate number of missions launched to Mars fail. So here's my question to you all.

Does the same thing apply to film (and television) concerning Mars?

Off the top of my head, we've got Mission to Mars, Red Planet, Ghosts of Mars and John Carter (of Mars) that all did pretty badly and/or were poorly received, and I'm pretty sure there were others - but there must also have been a few that worked. Total Recall, perhaps? What does everybody think?
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Thanks for the cake, Starfist. (I couldn't green you right now)

Welcome selene!

Good question Sealurk - I will need to think on that.
                            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

As for the Mars question, I think Total Recall is indeed the only decent film that comes to mind...

No wait! Mars Attacks! Even though the movie freaked me out as a kid (couldn't sleep for three nights afterwards), it's still awesome!

The original War of the Worlds wasn't too bad. Still a tad campy, in the way old movies are, but classic. That one was about Martians coming to Earth. Does that count?

Comment

Welcome, selene!

Starfist--virtual cake rocks! No calories and everyone gets their favorite flavor.

I think there was a Mars kid movie (Mars Needs Moms, maybe?) that didn't end horribly.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Working...
                                X