Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Mine has gremlins, I'm sure of it. Of course, it's also a low-end, cheap Compaq. *shrug*
    My old computer (The Bucket) is a compaq. Didn't have many problems with it, and after a good six years its still running (especially since i removed Norton! ) And its the only thing that works with the 'perfectly good scanner' so yeah, i'm keeping it! (The scanners works great, why throw it away?)
    My new computer (The Beast) was built by a kid still school uniform (16-17 years old?)... .... .... *sigh*
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

The Compaq I have is a laptop, and I've had it for about a year. I want to get a netbook, too, so I have something more portable, with longer battery life. But I don't want to spend a lot of money on one. *sigh*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

*Points to suit and tie that make me look like Castiel from Supernatural and clears throat*

Corporate/Retail computer sales here. Mac or PC I can answer any question you may have.

Compaq is one of the lower end consumer brands, but realistically as long as you don't abuse the thing it'll last a good while. Norton is garbage, you can get the same protection for free.

Stay away from Acer/HP/Compaq netbooks. They're slow as hell and last 2-3 years tops if you take very good care of them and avoid problem situations like mentioned above.

Asus and Toshiba netbooks are less likely to give you issues, but if you want a netbook sized tin of whoopass, Lenovo X120E is the cheapest thing next to a Macbook Air with great specs.
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

My netbook budget is likely to be $250 or under, and in 2 or 3 years I can afford a better one. My main interest is battery life, as I want something I can take anywhere without having to plug it in.

I loathe Norton with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, and never use it. It's always the first thing I uninstall if I get a machine on which it has been pre-installed.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            *Points to suit and tie that make me look like Castiel from Supernatural and clears throat*

Corporate/Retail computer sales here. Mac or PC I can answer any question you may have.

Compaq is one of the lower end consumer brands, but realistically as long as you don't abuse the thing it'll last a good while. Norton is garbage, you can get the same protection for free.

Stay away from Acer/HP/Compaq netbooks. They're slow as hell and last 2-3 years tops if you take very good care of them and avoid problem situations like mentioned above.

Asus and Toshiba netbooks are less likely to give you issues, but if you want a netbook sized tin of whoopass, Lenovo X120E is the cheapest thing next to a Macbook Air with great specs.
            That was actually very helpful. Thanks!
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

My netbook budget is likely to be $250 or under, and in 2 or 3 years I can afford a better one. My main interest is battery life, as I want something I can take anywhere without having to plug it in.

I loathe Norton with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns, and never use it. It's always the first thing I uninstall if I get a machine on which it has been pre-installed.
              250 and under... Hmm... might have hit hit Craigslist/eBay for that one. Cheapest netbook out there is Acer which is about 250-300.

As far as keeping your current units working, the following utilities will assist greatly.

PC: Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Avira (Spyware, Registry, virus's respectively)

Mac: Disk Warrior/Drive Genius.

Physically, get a can of compressed air and give your computer a good blow, or if you're more technically capable, open it up and clean the fans. sediment that builds up on them greatly reduces their efficiency. Isopropyl works well as a cleaning agent since it evaporates afterwards.

If you have to go used, check for dents, heat, and battery life before accepting. i know it'll cost more, but you get much better support should something go wrong when you go to an actual retail computer store rather than a discount store that are a dime a dozen.
              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I can get a new Acer at Microcenter for around or under $250 if I shop when there's a sale, so that's likely what I'm going to do. I've done the compressed air thing, but I really do need to just get at the fan and clean it physically. When I get time.

I use ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, which handles all my anti-malware, anti-virus, and anti-spyware needs. It's been well worth the money I spent on it (about $60 for a three-machine license).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

*huggles my MacBook* I second the Disk Warrior suggestion for a Mac. My babies (all Macs) have always lasted a long time - 6 years was the least and that was my last laptop. She survived a fall (open) onto a concrete floor with only a wrinkle and ran for 2 more years thereafter. She's actually still running as a print server, but with a 876MHz processor and maxed at a gig of RAM, she isn't usable for design anymore.

I didn't think I'd take to the new MacBooks with the Intel processors, but find I don't see the difference (I thought I would) in performance. This one got hosed with water WHILE RUNNING last August, but she's still running like a champ. Had her cracked open and checked out, and the guys at the shop were impressed when she powered on with no problem. I'll likely replace her much sooner than I originally planned because of that, but I'll keep her around as backup until she gives up the ghost.
                  Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                  Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                    *huggles my MacBook* I second the Disk Warrior suggestion for a Mac. My babies (all Macs) have always lasted a long time - 6 years was the least and that was my last laptop. She survived a fall (open) onto a concrete floor with only a wrinkle and ran for 2 more years thereafter. She's actually still running as a print server, but with a 876MHz processor and maxed at a gig of RAM, she isn't usable for design anymore.

I didn't think I'd take to the new MacBooks with the Intel processors, but find I don't see the difference (I thought I would) in performance. This one got hosed with water WHILE RUNNING last August, but she's still running like a champ. Had her cracked open and checked out, and the guys at the shop were impressed when she powered on with no problem. I'll likely replace her much sooner than I originally planned because of that, but I'll keep her around as backup until she gives up the ghost.
                    Macs tend to last longer for two reasons IMTO (t=technical). the logic board and heat.

The way the logic board is built means there's less physical wear on the unit when it's running. if you know about computers yo uknow that a Logic Board and a Mother Board aren't quite the same. It's the reason why if your logic board fails, it's a 900-1200 dollar for the part alone. a PC Mother board costs maybe a few bills.

People were right to be scared of the intel Processors. They run hella fast and as such, if something isn't quite right, it creates heat. heat KILLS electronic components. Server farms typically are put inside warehouses with industrial air conditioners just to kepe them running, so that burn you feel on your wrists from that Macbook Pro i5 with teh upgraded graphics card isn't exactly a good thing. that being said, a Macbook will typically outlast an equally maintained PC (except Lenovo which has as good a track record as Mac, but don't let Apple hear about that or they'll have an aneurysm.)

i have proof in my desk at work, a doctor client of mine upgraded from an X20 IBM/Lenovo machine to a current model. this thing is 10 years old and runs flawlessly.

your computer will last as long as you care to have it last. Treat with respect and most of the time it'll respect you.

And uhh... just to make this post at least a bit on-topic, my muse is starting to return. I shall sleep tonight in the hopes of pumping a chapter out tomorrow...

Comment

It's the water cooler. It's well-nigh impossible to go off-topic here.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I know I'm digging up fossils here, but I wanted to check: one other person besides me has been to San Francisco, right?

I ask because that's a plot dragon waiting to happen.

Spoiler:
                        Atlantis, with two humans who know very little on earth, are right next to Haight and Ashbury, the Castro, and Berkeley. They're just a few miles away from where I went to college. These places are where normal people act insane to fit in.

I'm just wondering how--and if--I'm going to explain places like that. I'm sure you've all been somewhere I've never heard of.
                        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                          I know I'm digging up fossils here, but I wanted to check: one other person besides me has been to San Francisco, right?

I ask because that's a plot dragon waiting to happen.

Spoiler:
                          Atlantis, with two humans who know very little on earth, are right next to Haight and Ashbury, the Castro, and Berkeley. They're just a few miles away from where I went to college. These places are where normal people act insane to fit in.

I'm just wondering how--and if--I'm going to explain places like that. I'm sure you've all been somewhere I've never heard of.
                          If they hit up Zachary's Pizza, I'll be expecting a delivery. Asgard beam is totally acceptable.
                          Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                          Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                            If they hit up Zachary's Pizza, I'll be expecting a delivery. Asgard beam is totally acceptable.
                            Hopefully all the leather stores will distract the wraith if they ever invade.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                              Hopefully all the leather stores will distract the wraith if they ever invade.
                              OMG, I just got an image of Wraith shopping at some of the shops in my little Cleveland 'burb. I happen to live in the suburb here that is probably best known for leather and fetish shops, among other things. ROFL!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

OMG, I just got an image of Wraith shopping at some of the shops in my little Cleveland 'burb. I happen to live in the suburb here that is probably best known for leather and fetish shops, among other things. ROFL!
                                Yeah, the castro's like that... with more flags... and neon spandex. In the daytime.

Maybe we can confuse aliens into leaving earth alone.

I just saw a man arguing with a wall. And he lost.

You didn't see the guy in a pink bodysuit and silver cape ride past on a unicycle.

This planet is insane

Why are there two walgreens on every block on this street?

Comment

Working...
                                X