No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized that when you said Lake Erie. Hmmm. Google says were are probably about 700 miles apart.
    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
      I just realized that when you said Lake Erie. Hmmm. Google says were are probably about 700 miles apart.
      Sounds about right. Haven't been to GA in ages, but I have friends in the Atlanta area, and when I lived in Cincinnati, I drove all night to visit one of them (a buddy from high school who moved there about a year before I moved to Ohio).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Ugh, the heat.

I live in Cali and my room acts like a thermos. When it's even mildly hot, it's horrible in my room. It's also cramped and there's always several machines on, too.

Spoiler:
        Add my period that beats me up and I can barely think in full sentences for about a third of the day.

Here's another derailment for you guys: I can't be the only one who has been the San Francisco. What kind of places there have you guys been to?
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Hmmmm. I've been to California once, the Los Angeles area, when I was fourteen. Met some relatives I'd never met before and never saw again afterward, and saw a lot of sights.

I visit Toronto, Canada when I can (need to get a passport so I can go again, because I'm way overdue for a visit). It's one of my favorite cities.

I've lived in Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo and Cleveland -- all in Ohio.

I've been to Lexington, KY and also to Louisville, to Detroit a couple of times, Kansas City (once, on a business trip in '99), Atlanta (back in the early 90's), Chattanooga, TN (in 2000, for a convention), Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL three times (the latest was back in '87), Philadelphia (again, I think I was fourteen), Pittsburgh a bunch of times, the most recent a month or so ago, Chicago a couple of times but not in the past decade -- more's the pity -- and then there's always places like Buffalo, NY which I've been to more times than I can count.

I really need to start traveling abroad. I can barely count Toronto, since while it is in another country, it's not that far away and until recently, no passport was needed to make that trip.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Hmmmm. I've been to California once, the Los Angeles area, when I was fourteen. Met some relatives I'd never met before and never saw again afterward, and saw a lot of sights.

I visit Toronto, Canada when I can (need to get a passport so I can go again, because I'm way overdue for a visit). It's one of my favorite cities.

I've lived in Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo and Cleveland -- all in Ohio.

I've been to Lexington, KY and also to Louisville, to Detroit a couple of times, Kansas City (once, on a business trip in '99), Atlanta (back in the early 90's), Chattanooga, TN (in 2000, for a convention), Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL three times (the latest was back in '87), Philadelphia (again, I think I was fourteen), Pittsburgh a bunch of times, the most recent a month or so ago, Chicago a couple of times but not in the past decade -- more's the pity -- and then there's always places like Buffalo, NY which I've been to more times than I can count.

I really need to start traveling abroad. I can barely count Toronto, since while it is in another country, it's not that far away and until recently, no passport was needed to make that trip.
            W00T! Toronto! Someone doesn't hate us! I'm so thunderstruck!

*bounces up and down with fist pumping*

I detest the heat. I should own shares in underarmor at this point. Best thing i've found is a nice visit to the pool to cool off

On the fanfic front, i've got three stories begging for updates, each with the latest chapters only partially done because i just slowly when the muse strikes (which isn't often nowadays). Add to that that i just can't even be arsed to try and chip at my writer's block (especially when i've found that reading my old unpublished stuff just makes me more 'ugh')
            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post

Are you kidding? I would move to Toronto in a heartbeat, given the chance. What part of town do you live in, and where do you like to hang out? For a while I was visiting often enough that I had a couple of little pubs where if I went there, the regulars would remember me and we'd have some great conversations. I really need to get back there again... I miss the Artful Dodger on Isabella, and the Village Idiot on the corner of Dundas and McCaul.

I detest the heat. I should own shares in underarmor at this point. Best thing i've found is a nice visit to the pool to cool off
              I'm not a huge fan of heat, per se, but six months of lake-effect snow gets old, too. At least heat doesn't make driving a mess. Even idiots can drive in hot weather, unlike some of the morons I see on the roads in the wintertime.

On the fanfic front, i've got three stories begging for updates, each with the latest chapters only partially done because i just slowly when the muse strikes (which isn't often nowadays). Add to that that i just can't even be arsed to try and chip at my writer's block (especially when i've found that reading my old unpublished stuff just makes me more 'ugh')
              Heh. I'm working slowly on the next chapter of ATWLB, but every few minutes I keep popping over here while my brain percolates some more stuff. This is definitely NOT one of the "flowing" chapters.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

What's Toronto like? I've only been to Vancouver when it's soggy.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                  What's Toronto like? I've only been to Vancouver when it's soggy.
                  Well, in my opinion, it has a very vibrant feel. Quite cosmopolitan, with a lot to do, and lots of cool, out of the way places to go and hang out. As a place to visit, in some ways it reminds me of Chicago, only without the high price tag. You name it, Toronto has it, at least for the most part. And from my experience, the people there seem very friendly. It may help some that there's nothing in my speech or accent to mark me as a tourist; having grown up just three hours away and still very much in the Great Lakes region -- and currently living in Cleveland -- makes me sound fairly local, or so I've been told, and helps me avoid the "tourist" label.

But yes, I absolutely love it there. My family and I went there quite often when I was a child, and I began visiting more-or-less regularly again a few years ago, once I moved back to within a five or six-hour drive.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Here's another derailment for you guys: I can't be the only one who has been the San Francisco. What kind of places there have you guys been to?
                    Mmm, I liked SF pretty well. An ex-gf took me all around there once. We walked all over, down by the Castro, up to the infamous corner, so pretty much the gay district plus. We went surfing in Half-Moon Bay on Valentines weekend, which in hindsight is the best V-day of any sort that I've ever had, even if my forehead did freeze a few times. We also went hiking on a mountain with an observatory, but I can't remember the name of it. Fabulous sunset from that vantage point. Oh! And we went Pfeiffer Falls and went camping around there (it was a long distance relationship, so this was all over several trips) with all the giant Sequoia trees.

I really like the west coast. I've been to Vancouver and would go back in a heartbeat. I was there with a group for a graphic design conference, so no time to fool around other than museums (we did see a great Chihuly exhibition, I think in Tacoma actually). I really should just go up there by myself sometime. We stayed at a hostel called The Cambie. I would do that again too, really enjoyed the pub and the different (not American) atmosphere. And paying with loonies and toonies!

Also west coast, spent a brief bit in San Diego, Palm Desert, and a nice stay in Cabo San Lucas and also a week in Puerto Vallarta. I think that's all...

I love warm weather. I enjoyed the heck out of Mexico both times I was there. Matter of fact I was in PV in February and was very glad to have brought long sleeves and pants for the evenings. I readily adjust to 90+ degree weather and actually start to feel cool somewhere around 80 in that situation.
                    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Seriously, the US really should just ditch the whole folding-money business for anything smaller than a five. Yeesh. Coins make more sense.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of which, why do my bunnies make things worse whenever I get stuck or need to rewrite something? I'm having to edit and add to the beginning of BiAA and I'm making several things bleaker, plus the plot bunny that cannibalized Measure of a Man has decided to take up the hobby of punching the dictionary until definitions give up.

I don't have plot bunnies, I have plot dragons.
                        I have a couple of those cards laying around somewhere. My friends hate it lol. I use either a vamp nightmare, life gain overkill, or broodmothers
                        sigpic
                        Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

i actually like Toronto, but everywhere i go in Canada people hate Toronto

I live in North west toronto (about 30 mins from the Airport) but most of my time is spent downtown as i work and play there

I've hit everywhere from the ritzy bars that are like $20 a drink to the seediest dives in the city, In the end i've found that college bars like the Madison are the funnest and most diverse. Also it can be anything from a place to prowl for fun, to just hanging out with friends.
                          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, warm weather is finally either here or about to be. How many of you like to take your laptop or netbook, or even a good, old-fashioned notebook and pen outside your house to write? And if so, where are your favorite places to do so?

I like to write on the porch, or on the deck at a bar or restaurant if it isn't too crowded or noisy.
                            Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            I write at my desktop computer, or on my laptop, or in the car. I don't think I've written anywhere else.
                            ^ ditto.

I can only really write at 'inside'. At the old place i lived there was a balacony and for some strange reason i just didnt like it and couldn't come up with anything that 'stuck' (maybe i'm like Smegal. Liking dark caves ... and raw fish. ew. maybe not).

Add to that that i just can't even be arsed to try and chip at my writer's block (especially when i've found that reading my old unpublished stuff just makes me more 'ugh')
                            Well don't worry, i'm sure theres someone out there who would like your 'ugh' stuff!

And most of the stuff we discussed are still going in to Hallowed Turf (well, except the the baby. And the Midi-chlorians.). But everything else is still there. Like 'characters' and 'friendship' and ... 'plot'
                            [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

snip

Seriously, the US really should just ditch the whole folding-money business for anything smaller than a five. Yeesh. Coins make more sense.
                              You've seen our toonies and loonies!

i actually like Toronto, but everywhere i go in Canada people hate Toronto

I live in North west toronto (about 30 mins from the Airport) but most of my time is spent downtown as i work and play there

I've hit everywhere from the ritzy bars that are like $20 a drink to the seediest dives in the city, In the end i've found that college bars like the Madison are the funnest and most diverse. Also it can be anything from a place to prowl for fun, to just hanging out with friends.
                              I too live 30 minutes from the Toronto airport. Are we neighbours??

I like Toronto too. I lived there for a while as a teenager and grew up in the Toronto area. Still live there
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
                                I have a couple of those cards laying around somewhere. My friends hate it lol. I use either a vamp nightmare, life gain overkill, or broodmothers
                                Hey! Get out of my deck.

Comment

Working...
                                X