Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
    Personally i think after Season 5-6 of SG1, the writers began to reach beyond their grasp in terms of story and character. It's perfectly possible to have a large well rounded cast with developments on them all, it's just difficult. Look at nBSG for an example. A core group of primary characters, and a intricate layer of decently known secondary characters.

The dynamic of both shows is very much different though. SG1 or SGA were more action/adventure oriented, while nBSG was more character oriented. That doesn't mean that SGA didn't have a bit of a trend when it came to which character they focused on

*cough mckay cough*

I'm with Womble, SGA does feel like fanfiction at times, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's BAD, though there certainly were plenty of potentially good and great things mismanaged and not gone into.
    What's nBSG? Sorry that you have to spell it out for me, but to quote O'Neill: "I got nuthin"

BTW -my daughter loved your user name and your sig -she said "Is that a new SG show?" -LOL. I felt like telling her simply "yes, dear" with a serious face.

I didn't think SG-1 was too bad until Season 9. I'll have to pay attention during the rewatch to the Seasons 7-8. I did miss O'Neill leading SG-1 in the field during those seasons -I don't think he would enjoy being a desk jockey.

I like that McKay's character became (or tried to become) a more human character as the series went along (he was pretty detestable when we met him on SG-1), but I do see what ya'll are saying about how S5 focused WAY too much on him.

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
    They also forgot to pay attention to the message of their shows. The Tau'ri went from being 'striving to make the world better for others' to 'that friend who will bail you out of jail after setting your car on fire.'
    Bwahaha! I'll be laughing about that all day!
    Is that why the show started feeling like eating a box of syrofoam peanuts? Filling...but lacking taste or real satisfaction
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
      What's nBSG? Sorry that you have to spell it out for me, but to quote O'Neill: "I got nuthin"
      nBSG = New Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 onwards version as opposed to the original/classic Seventies version.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        nBSG = New Battlestar Galactica, the 2004 onwards version as opposed to the original/classic Seventies version.
        Thanks, Sealurk - I have never watched the new version, though I was a fan of the 70's one as a young teen (I may have been watching reruns at the time...)
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
          Bwahaha! I'll be laughing about that all day!
          Is that why the show started feeling like eating a box of syrofoam peanuts? Filling...but lacking taste or real satisfaction
          Probably. Even the downright horrible episodes could be salvaged if there was follow-up. If there direction was supposed to be humans slipping into 'the dark side' or the war making them escalate tactics while still struggling to seek out 'the greater good' or even just being human and screwing up and having to pay for it.

It's why I feel readers can handle so much. The beginnings of Atlantis and a good chunk of SG-1 wasn't afraid to throw introspection and fear our way. When the writers become too timid to keep using those, the show it's going to be the same.
          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

This is so unfair. School starts tomorrow and I have a cold.
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
              This is so unfair. School starts tomorrow and I have a cold.
              I lost count of how many first days of school I missed due to being sick.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I retract my previous statement; SGA went downhill when the replicators came back. I **** hate replicators.
                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                  I retract my previous statement; SGA went downhill when the replicators came back. I **** hate replicators.
                  I liked them better when the were erector sets that sounded like skittles.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                    I liked them better when the were erector sets that sounded like skittles.
                    Such an apt description.

BTW -supposed to get my new computer tonight!!
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Hi all.
                      I think the replicators were a fun foe.
                      And they will be sadly missed.

On another note. I think I've got my muse back...
                      Playing a game on 'Facebook' I got a spark of an idea.
                      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                      To thy own self... Be true
                      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                        Hi all.
                        I think the replicators were a fun foe.
                        And they will be sadly missed.

On another note. I think I've got my muse back...
                        Playing a game on 'Facebook' I got a spark of an idea.
                        I didn't mind them much in SG-1, but when they were introduced into SGA after having been gotten rid off in SG-1, it just felt like laziness on the writers parts. Sort of, "we can't think of anything new so lets just use replicators".

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                          I didn't mind them much in SG-1, but when they were introduced into SGA after having been gotten rid off in SG-1, it just felt like laziness on the writers parts. Sort of, "we can't think of anything new so lets just use replicators".
                          ...with an even dumber motivation.

Comment

That's a general gripe of mine with Sci-Fi. Characters or things get killed off, and when things get a bit boring/go downhill, they all get magically revived! I know it's Sci-Fi and reviving people is a plausible plot, but sometimes it's best to let dead things be dead!

Comment

Amen to that. The cliche I'd like to banish 'no one is ever really dead in scifi'

Yeah, well they should be
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

These days that should probably be expanded to "no one's ever really dead in a TV show".
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X