Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Stripe makes a stout now? I'm only familiar with their lager.

I love stouts, porters, barleywines... basically anything except pilsners. Altbiers are awesome.

I know there's a microbrewery in Kansas City called Boulevard Brewing. Maybe that was the place you went? I've only been to KC once, on a business trip back in 1999, and I didn't get to the brewpub, though I did enjoy one of Boulevard's fine products from the mini-bar in my hotel room.

(A blessing on the heads of kind bosses willing to allow new employees to spend a little of the company's money. Letting me have the key to the mini-bar was his idea, not mine!)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by badwolfSG View Post
      I switch between cannot and can not, not sure why? But mostly I used cannot, so not to confused people.
      I never figured out the difference, really. I thinks it's a consistency, possibly a formality thing.

PS: I need an alcohol that's sweet or mixes well with cherry coke), strong, and smooth for tomorrow. I've got finals and I want to relax later.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        Red Stripe makes a stout now? I'm only familiar with their lager.
        No, as far as I know Red Strip only has a lager, but I dig it. As for stout, I won't drink Guinness unless it is the extra stout. Anything lighter is just a tease and make me want a warm, freshly pulled stout. (And bangers and mash, but this is about the beer!) I was just wondering what is the term for the beers that I like, as I seem to like them pretty stout or black. Or are those the terms? Anyway at this point I only use them if I'm revved up and need to get to sleep.
        Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
        Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
          I never figured out the difference, really. I thinks it's a consistency, possibly a formality thing.

PS: I need an alcohol that's sweet or mixes well with cherry coke), strong, and smooth for tomorrow. I've got finals and I want to relax later.
          Vodka or rum.

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
          No, as far as I know Red Strip only has a lager, but I dig it. As for stout, I won't drink Guinness unless it is the extra stout. Anything lighter is just a tease and make me want a warm, freshly pulled stout. (And bangers and mash, but this is about the beer!) I was just wondering what is the term for the beers that I like, as I seem to like them pretty stout or black. Or are those the terms? Anyway at this point I only use them if I'm revved up and need to get to sleep.
          Sounds like your kind of beers are stouts, black lagers (which taste totally different from other lagers), and porters. Those are all very dark, black beers. They're among my favorites, too. I also like brown ales.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I'm going to second the rum or vodka. If it's proper drinks we're after, I love a mojito or a lemon drop. They treat my body better, too.
            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

I'm going to second the rum or vodka. If it's proper drinks we're after, I love a mojito or a lemon drop. They treat my body better, too.
              Awesome. Thanks.

Also, so as to not completely derail the thread, would a coloring book title be italicized like any other book?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks.

Also, so as to not completely derail the thread, would a coloring book title be italicized like any other book?
                I would think so, yes. It's still a book title.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  I would think so, yes. It's still a book title.
                  Thanks. I'll fix that bit later, though. I just spent three days heavily editing and posting.

Comment

I'm quite fond of "Tusker", a Kenyan lager, and "Asahi Black", myself.
                    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Are any of you Sanctuary fans who have actually seen and digested all of the episodes? I have an excerpt from my SG-1/Sanctuary crossover story that needs a beta. The only two characters in it are Sally and Helen. I am NOT writing them as in a relationship though I do see them as having a very intimate friendship. If you are uncomfortable with two women trusting each other completely, it's not for you.

It is 2950 words and stands alone - you won't have to wonder about the rest of the plot. Matter of fact, you can imagine whatever bookends you like for it. Anyway, If you want to read it (even if you are just curious or want to nit-pick it for practice) just drop me a line and I'll send you the link to a google document.

Comment

I know this isn't the right place for a fic introduction, but I feel comfortable with you guys (see, no gender meaning for me either! lol) in particular, so I'm putting it in here. Plus the fic itself is a very private moment for Helen, and it just feels wrong to post a thread about it.

Anyway, it's part of a larger story that I haven't finished, but stands alone well. I am rating it 'mature' despite the lack of sex or violence. You'll see why if you read it.

The New by Abnormal Newt

Comment

I know this isn't the right place for a fic introduction, but I feel comfortable with you guys (see, no gender meaning for me either! lol) in particular, so I'm putting it in here. Plus the fic itself is a very private moment for Helen, and it just feels wrong to post a thread about it.

Anyway, it's part of a larger story that I haven't finished, but stands alone well. I am rating it 'mature' despite the lack of sex or violence. You'll see why if you read it.

The New by Abnormal Newt
                          I meant to respond to your beta request, but RL has been a strict taskmaster of late & it woudn't have been fair. I am glad you either found a beta or decided to go beta-less & just post it. I've left you a review on FF. Of course, now you've got me in it--it's been hard enough to corral my plot bunnies & now you've got them hopping about again! Dang it! I thought I had them doped up on Easter candy.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                            I meant to respond to your beta request, but RL has been a strict taskmaster of late & it woudn't have been fair. I am glad you either found a beta or decided to go beta-less & just post it. I've left you a review on FF. Of course, now you've got me in it--it's been hard enough to corral my plot bunnies & now you've got them hopping about again! Dang it! I thought I had them doped up on Easter candy.
                            SF&C did a beta read for me, and made some really good suggestions. I thought there would be a place to put all that, but I haven't found it yet. Ha, sorry about stirring up the plot bunnies. I realized when I was writing it that I could leave it really open, so I made a little game of it.
                            Spoiler:

I wanted it to even be interpretable as Ashley, but realized there are a few more sentences I would need to change. Haven't decided if I will or not. The whole passage will appear later as part of my larger story.

Comment

SF&C did a beta read for me, and made some really good suggestions. I thought there would be a place to put all that, but I haven't found it yet. Ha, sorry about stirring up the plot bunnies. I realized when I was writing it that I could leave it really open, so I made a little game of it.
                              Spoiler:

I wanted it to even be interpretable as Ashley, but realized there are a few more sentences I would need to change. Haven't decided if I will or not. The whole passage will appear later as part of my larger story.
                              May I make another suggestion? Right now, you have your FF.net account set up to only accept reviews from registered, logged-in members. I understand the desire to avoid getting garbage in your review page, but after a few chapters of ATWLB went up and I was getting frustrated over the dearth of reviews it was getting, a friend over there suggested to me that I would get more of them if I allowed reviews from everyone. So I changed the setting, knowing that if anyone put up spam or garbage I could delete it, and if things got out of control I could also change the setting back.

I have never had to delete a review. I have not received any spam or garbage. And I have received some very nice reviews from people who either don't have FF.net accounts or who simply weren't logged in when they wrote their review, and didn't feel like taking the time to log in.

Just something to think about.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

By the way, new thread: Publishing Your Fanfic Online

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X