Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I deleted one of them, but it looks like GW put it back. GW is having issues anyway, ever since the latest vBB upgrade, so I suppose I shouldn't feel bad.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

like you're not unconcience, you're unconscious

conscience is morals and your sense of right or wrong. conscious is a state of awareness....they're not interchangeable.

kinda like lose and loose

lose, lose your keys vs loose, my tooth is loose, again not interchangeable.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yay, I managed to delete my double post. Small victories.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Oh my goodness, there are so many of these...

then/than - e.g. "You're smarter then me." -- Huh? No. 'Then' indicates succession in time. 'Than' indicates a comparative.

brake/break - e.g. "Let's take a brake." -- Unless the characters are stealing an automotive part, the word needed here is 'break'.

elicit/illicit - e.g. "She illicited such feelings from him." -- 'Illicit' is an adjective meaning 'illegal'. 'To Elicit' is the verb meaning to draw out a response.

principal/principle - e.g. "He held to his principals" -- As is, the character is clutching at his school principals (or his lead musicians... ). If he is remaining faithful to a moral code, then the word needed is 'principle'.

My rule of thumb? When in doubt, use a dictionary!
          "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
          ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Another way is to right click on the word and check for synonyms. That will usually tell you if you are using the word correctly.
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Peak - top of something pointed, mountain peak
              Pique - to tweak someone's interest 'you've piqued my interest'
              they're - they are
              their - something owned by a group 'the cheerleaders put on their skirts'
              there - a place 'over there'

we should make a list of all the soundalike words cause they are mightily misused

sigpic

Comment

And peek - to look quickly

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  we should make a list of all the soundalike words cause they are mightily misused
                  It's - contraction of 'it is'
                  Its - possessive form of it

lets - third-person singular simple present form of the verb let eg. "Jack lets Sam do her job."
                  let's - contraction of 'let us'

Lead - noun; element with atomic number 82
                  led - simple past and past participle of the verb to lead

That's all I can think of at the moment.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Lead - a dog's leash
                    Lead - to walk in front of a group of people "Jack is in the lead."

sigpic

Comment

Arc--a curve. "The ship took off in a forty-five degree arc."
                      Ark--a vessel. "No one wanted KP duty on the ark, particularly not in the elephant holding pen."
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I'm going to hope that Kitchen Patrol has no reason to be in the elephant holding pen to begin with. If that's where they're making dinner, I think I just lost my appetite!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

(Just for the sake of reference: KP in the military)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            I'm going to hope that Kitchen Patrol has no reason to be in the elephant holding pen to begin with. If that's where they're making dinner, I think I just lost my appetite!
                            Sorry, thought it could be used as general cleaning patrol. Guess I was wrong--happens a lot nowadays!

Thank God! I'm human!
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Okay, here's another:

phase: As a noun, a distinguishable part of a progression or cycle, as in a phase of the moon or a phase of someone's career. Also, a synchronous condition ("The cycles are out of phase.") As a verb, to introduce something in stages ("Let's phase in the new product line") or to adjust something so that it is in a synchronized condition.

faze: to disturb the composure of, as in "The commotion around him didn't faze the speaker, who simply carried on with his lecture."

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X