Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukraine, or the Ukraine?
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

The Ukraine.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        The Ukraine.
        Really? Because to me, it sounds a bit... odd. The only country I know that are officially called "The" is, aside from The United States and similar ones, is The Gambia. It's not officially called The Ukraine, is it?

Comment

Yes, it's officially The Ukraine. Don't ask me why, because I don't know either. *shrug*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Here's an interesting article. I'm not sure how 'official' it is.

http://www.infoukes.com/faq/the_ukraine/
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I will offer this as my only input beyond what I am used to seeing:

I happen to live in an area where there are quite a few Ukrainian immigrants. Almost without exception, they refer to their nation of origin as "The Ukraine" when doing so in English.

Knowing what I know about their language, I have no idea why.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Well, as it turns out, according to the UN, it's officially Ukraine. But then once again, it's also officially Netherlands, but we always refer to it as The Netherlands.

As for the Ukrainian language, I asked one of my friends who speaks it, and she said that in Ukrainian, you refer to it as "Ukraine", since "the" doesn't exist in Ukrainian. In English, she also refers to it without the "the", but she knows people of Ukrainian decent who do use "the".

Comment

Yep, like I said, I don't know why some do.

I always heard it with "the" even before I lived in an area with a lot of people from that background, and learned it in school that way, so for me it's probably an ingrained thing.

Hmmm... now I'm wondering how the UN designates the US. With or without "the"?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Yep, like I said, I don't know why some do.

I always heard it with "the" even before I lived in an area with a lot of people from that background, and learned it in school that way, so for me it's probably an ingrained thing.

Hmmm... now I'm wondering how the UN designates the US. With or without "the"?
                    United States of America, without "the". That's also the official name of the USA, without "the", according to the US itself.

Comment

Depends on what you read, though. An awful lot of even our government publications use "the" before it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Depends on what you read, though. An awful lot of even our government publications use "the" before it.
                        Indeed, but that doesn't necessarily make it the official form. For example, you write the Netherlands, yet the official name is Netherlands, without "the". I looked up the text of the NAFTA agreement, and in it, it refers to the US as "the United States of America", with a small "t" at the beginning. This, at least to me, indicates that "the" is not part of the official name, because otherwise it would read "The United States of America". Compare this to The Gambia, which is always referred to with a large "t", because the official name of the country as per its constitution is The Gambia.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                          Well, as it turns out, according to the UN, it's officially Ukraine. But then once again, it's also officially Netherlands, but we always refer to it as The Netherlands.

As for the Ukrainian language, I asked one of my friends who speaks it, and she said that in Ukrainian, you refer to it as "Ukraine", since "the" doesn't exist in Ukrainian. In English, she also refers to it without the "the", but she knows people of Ukrainian decent who do use "the".
                          But in Dutch, The Netherlands is referred to as Nederland. No the. I guess it makes more sense in English to say The Lowlands, which is what The Netherlands means.

Comment

AAAAAaaaauuuuuugggghhhh!!!

I see this everywhere!

"Breath" is a noun. "Breathe" is a verb. You don't "breath", you "breathe"!

Thank you.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

For those who aren't already fans, I give you Grammar Girl, now with podcasts.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Bothers you so much, you had to post it twice?

*quietly hums, Breathe on me, breath of God...*

That's how I remember the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X