Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post
    LOL!! Yeah.... Have you browsed the other grammar comics? They're all quite a lot fun.

What grade(s) do you teach, mathpiglet?
    I teach math in a high school for Deaf students. But since all the students are profoundly deaf, all teachers are expected to teach written English within the context of our course.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
      I teach math in a high school for Deaf students. But since all the students are profoundly deaf, all teachers are expected to teach written English within the context of our course.
      Any kind of teaching is a noble profession, but what you do is indeed admirable, mathpiglet. That's truly marvelous.

I imagine it takes a great deal of creativity and ingenuity to teach to such a unique group of students. I work with a couple children with learning disabilities, and that's the most exciting part for me - working together and figuring out what works best.
      "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
      ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Working with LD kids is indeed a wonderful thing to do. Each one is so unique and finding something that works is such a terrific moment!
        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Well, OED has been a bit disappointing. Yesterday was the first word I didn't know the meaning of. Well, I knew a different pronounciation and meaning. It was "mozz" which is apparently Australian slang for "jinx" and pronounced "mawz". I'm from New England, where there are lots of Italians, so I'm used to mozz being "motz", the cheese often used in Italian cooking or the type of pizza that comes with no additional toppings.
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
            Well, OED has been a bit disappointing. Yesterday was the first word I didn't know the meaning of. Well, I knew a different pronounciation and meaning. It was "mozz" which is apparently Australian slang for "jinx" and pronounced "mawz". I'm from New England, where there are lots of Italians, so I'm used to mozz being "motz", the cheese often used in Italian cooking or the type of pizza that comes with no additional toppings.
            Yeah, I know eh... The words have been so pedestrian lately. I mean, really? "Gateway"?? *rolls eyes*
            "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
            ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post
              Yeah, I know eh... The words have been so pedestrian lately. I mean, really? "Gateway"?? *rolls eyes*
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Blargh. If I see one more person use "cannon" when they mean "canon" I'll scream.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

not as much fun as Kernal O'Neill
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    not as much fun as Kernal O'Neill
                    *head goes 'splodey*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

they're out there. Along with Teal'C, Tealk, Sam Crater, O'Neal

not to mention the sgc being located in Cheyenne Wyoming, Colorado Springs having a subway (not the sandwich shop) and other things.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately, I've seen some of those things.
                        Spoiler:
                        And people wonder why I drink.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

when i see those, I usually back away slowly, X out and move onto another fic, making a mental note to avoid that author in the future

sigpic

Comment

ROFL! I recently sent a text to hubby, who laughed at my misspelling of a simple word. Brain not functioning with the Alzheimer's madness from Mom. However, even I know that there is something wrong with Kernel O'Neal. I do try to be better in my fic posts than my texting. (However, my brain might not catch cannon/canon ATM).
                            sigpic

Comment

Catching canon would be far less painful. Just sayin'.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                                Catching canon would be far less painful. Just sayin'.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X