Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Feast of the Muse!

Sorry to hear it hasn't turned up yet, Whytewytch. And you just know that if dear old Murphy's up to his usual tricks, the moment your order ships, the book will finally turn up! But I empathize - geeky withdrawal is the worst to be had! ()
    "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
    ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

If you have a character do something (like sigh) before he/she actually speaks, do you do it like this:

-He sighed.
      "What's wrong here?"

Or like this:

-He sighed. "What's wrong here?"

Also, is it proper to have a single apostrophe when the word that owns something already ends in an 'S?' Would you use "Atlantis's" or "Atlantis' "? I wasn't really sure on that. Thanks!
      sigpic
      Just so you know, I am not Talis!

Comment

Originally posted by Sage of Mirrors View Post
        If you have a character do something (like sigh) before he/she actually speaks, do you do it like this:

-He sighed.
        "What's wrong here?"

Or like this:

-He sighed. "What's wrong here?"
        I would choose the latter, myself. Since it's the same person making the action and speaking, it belongs in one paragraph. If a paragraph is all one person but long and with different focusses, you can break it into more than one.

Originally posted by Sage of Mirrors View Post
        Also, is it proper to have a single apostrophe when the word that owns something already ends in an 'S?' Would you use "Atlantis's" or "Atlantis' "? I wasn't really sure on that. Thanks!
        The way I learned was to use the extra "s", but the more modern way is to drop it. Personally, I think it looks cleaner without the extra "s".
        Last edited by Whytewytch; 30 May 2011, 07:38 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee/sleep to be comprehensible yet.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Alright. Thanks.
          sigpic

Comment

Don't use a "-" before those lines. Just do it like this:

He sighed. "What's wrong here?"
            And I was always taught that you never add a second "s" when making a possessive of a name or word ending in "s". But anyway, yes, it does look much cleaner without.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I used the '-' because I wanted to show that it was an example... guess I should've gone with italics instead.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with SF_and_Coffee. The em dash tends to be for sentence fragments. 'He sighed.' is a full sentence.

As for the possessive rules, I've heard just about every version of the rule you can think of. I tend to do what has been said here though; that is, for aesthetic purposes I omit the second 's'.

(EDIT: Ha. I see the dash thing was just a misunderstanding. Sorry, Sage of Mirrors. Now I see that you were just asking about the paragraph break *facepalm*... my bad!)
                "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                ~William Adama

Comment

Hey, all you ff.net-ers, anyone know what happened to the dictionary there? It was one of the best and was either on ff.net or fictionpress.com, but I cannot seem to find it. Is it lost or am I? If it is lost, anyone have any good recs for a extremely comrehensive online dictionary/thesaurus? Thanks in advance for any help.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                  Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Hmmm, I never used theirs and kind of forgot they had it. But I'm a huge fan of the Merriam Webster online dictionary and thesaurus.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                    sigpic
                    now also appearing on DeviantArt
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      Hmmm, I never used theirs and kind of forgot they had it. But I'm a huge fan of the Merriam Webster online dictionary and thesaurus.
                      I stopped using it for some reason a couple years ago, then was trying to find it a little while ago because my thesaurus just wasn't giving me what I wanted. It was FABULOUS! Definitions and more synonyms and antonyms than you could shake a fist at. The forums over there are difficult to use, otherwise I would've just asked there. I may have to go in and give it a go. Will try the M/W--think I use that one sometimes when I give up and close the copies I have on the desk.
                      sigpic

Comment

*pokes head in* Oh, just curious. What dictionaries are the best online? I tend to use dictionary.reference.com a lot. Helps me with checking words whenever I do an RP post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn View Post
                          *pokes head in* Oh, just curious. What dictionaries are the best online? I tend to use dictionary.reference.com a lot. Helps me with checking words whenever I do an RP post.
                          I mostly use the dictionary on my shelf (guess I'm old-fashioned like that ), but when I am looking something up online, I head over to Google and type in "define: _________". It pulls up definitions from a bunch of dictionaries/sources online. But yeah, I'm partial to my Concise OED...
                          ~William Adama

Comment

I tend to put it into Word and let that dictionary check for whatever country I want. Since I live in Canada, we have a hodge-podge of American and British spellings, so if I'm writing for school, I use Canadian spelling. If I'm writing fanfic, I tend to use American spelling since most of my readers are American.
                            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                              I tend to put it into Word and let that dictionary check for whatever country I want. Since I live in Canada, we have a hodge-podge of American and British spellings, so if I'm writing for school, I use Canadian spelling. If I'm writing fanfic, I tend to use American spelling since most of my readers are American.
                              I didn't know you could do that! Prof, I tend to use the ones on my shelf first, as well. When I'm out, though, it can be hard. If I'm working on a story on my lunch hour, for example, I need the online dictionary/thesaurus access. I tend to avoid the Word synonyms if I can--they just don't usually have what I need, although sometimes they get my creative juices flowing. I also tend to Google the words I need, just would rather have a dedicated online dictionary that I know is wonderful saved in my favorites.

On a side note, I still have not found my "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm a traditionalist: I prefer the Oxford English Dictionary. Of course, being 20 volumes long, it's a bit... big, not to mention expensive, so unless I'm in a library, I stick to the Concise and Shorter versions.
                                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Working...
                                X