Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay. That makes sense.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Travelling and cancelled are indeed British English, whereas traveling or canceled is American.
      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

We do see "cancelled" quite a bit on this side of the pond, though.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          We do see "cancelled" quite a bit on this side of the pond, though.
          Because it looks better
          My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I intend to save a few 'l's' so I'm going the single l-route!

Thanks!

Comment

That's ok, I'll take them. I like the way it looks with two of the little buggers.
              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

* passes a box of l's to Feast*

Comment

*noms on an l to make sure it's genuine* Yep, that's the real thing. Cheers!
                  Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                  Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

I need a word/term for this:

Being treated as if you're too young/naive/stupid don't deserve to understand the situation or have any say in it even when you're directly involved in it; often being goaded, deceived, or evaded when you try to get information/do something else.

In Avatar: the Last Airbender it was called 'being handled', but I'm wondering if that's the only good term for it.
                    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

being patronized, patronizing

people treating you like you're stupider than you are
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Can I just say how much I *love* that there's a thread for this!

Incidentally, I just finished reading a book that most of you have probably read - and if not, I'm certain it's one you will appreciate! It's called Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss. It's both witty and informative - a truly fantastic read (especially if you're a grammar nerd like me ).
                        Last edited by Professor_S; 19 May 2011, 05:57 PM. Reason: Spelling... ironically enough
                        "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                        ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post

Incidentally, I just finished reading a book that most of you have probably read - and if not, I'm certain it's one you will appreciate! It's called Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss. It's both witty and informative - a truly fantastic read (especially if you're a grammar nerd like me ).
                          I have been looking high, low and everywhere in between for my copy. I'm about ready to go buy another one!
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Ack! Nothing worse than losing books! In case you don't find it, I picked up a used copy from abebooks.com - great bargain and it was in great shape. Fingers crossed, though!
                            "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                            ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post

Welcome to the party! You've hit the jackpot on nerds here in the fanfic forums. And we're proud of it! *nods*

I LOVE that book. I've been toting the poor thing around for years. Glad that you have it. WhyteWytch, I certainly hope you find yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                                Welcome to the party! You've hit the jackpot on nerds here in the fanfic forums. And we're proud of it! *nods*

I LOVE that book. I've been toting the poor thing around for years. Glad that you have it. WhyteWytch, I certainly hope you find yours.
                                So far, no good. We did a lot of shuffling around lately of rooms and the house is in chaos. I may have to break down and order a new copy. My youngest son also just lost a book--a library book--so I may have to go to Amazon.com. I'm having geeky withdrawal!
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Working...
                                X