Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. I just feel, and no offense to Sam, that there is nothing in her character that stands out. She's highly intelligent, but thats it. There is millions of 'bland, nice' people around. Teal'c, Daniel and Jack all have very distinctive, bordering on eccentric personalities. If I met Sam on the street, without her spouting technobabble, I would think she is a nice person, but there's nothing about her that makes her different from the rest.

I think that's what I mean.
    Sparki
    Honk if you love cheese

Comment

I think Sam is the easiest. I mean, I don't think I write her very well, but all my fictions do focus on her.

The hardest for me is Daniel. Maybe it's because I'm not that close to the character, I'm not sure. Teal'C is also hard.
      ------
      Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
        Major Clanger writes Daniel very well.
        *blush*

eek... I actually find Jack the easiest. I've been around a lot of people like him.

Sam... well, I can't do the brainiac stuff, but writing a woman in the military - if I couldn't do that in a half-convincing way I think I'd hang up my fic writing hat and give up.

Teal'c is nearly impossible. I very rarely have much for him. I tend to focus more on dialogue than description, and the cliche "indeed" every 2 pages or so doesn't do this fantastic, complex character any justice. Although I gave him a girlfriend once, and despite misgivings about him cheating on his wife etc, I want to revisit that one.

Daniel... I find his motivation difficult to fathom sometimes. But dialogue wise he's really fun to do.

Which is one of the reasons I prefer to pick a really minor (or non-existant) character and give them a voice and a background.

Mr. Prophet: one day you'll have to tell me the secret of how you get under Sam's skin so well. Or have you been joshing me all these years and really you're of the female persuasion?
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          Mr. Prophet: one day you'll have to tell me the secret of how you get under Sam's skin so well. Or have you been joshing me all these years and really you're of the female persuasion?
          Clearly my beard is neither full nor manly enough; half the time my kids call me 'Miss' as well.

As to how I write Sam...Well, she's kind of made easier by the fact that there's usually only one thing going on. She picks a side - soldier, scientist, woman - and runs with it for a while, with a little tension from the other two.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
            Clearly my beard is neither full nor manly enough; half the time my kids call me 'Miss' as well.
            cheeky little blighters!
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I find Daniel, Sam, and Janet the easiest to write (which is good, since they're the characters my fics focus on the most), but Jack and Teal'c are more difficult for me. It takes me ages to write a bantery scene with Jack and another character, and Teal'c... well, he hasn't really been in any of the fics I've posted so far, but in other fics I've worked on I've found it hard to bring him out of the background. As for Jonas... I thought he'd be difficult, but the two times I've put him in a fic I feel as though I've done alright.

Hammond's easy enough, though.

Comment

I identify with Jonas, so I find him fairly easy to write. I think I have a fairly decent grasp of Daniel, too. I certainly understand his tendency towards preoccupation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Mr W gets that too. And he gets mistaken for a pupil. He's six foot tall, 31, has been Head of Colouring In (otherwise known as Geography) for five years, and still gets mistaken for a pupil.

Have you been called "Mum" yet?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    And he gets mistaken for a pupil. He's six foot tall, 31, has been Head of Colouring In (otherwise known as Geography) for five years, and still gets mistaken for a pupil.
                    About seven years ago I was living in L.A. (I was 22 at the time) and one day I was walking through a school zone. The crossing guard came out and held up traffic so I could cross the street. He thought I was going to school.

I think it was also around that time I got carded trying to buy a scratch ticket (legal buying age is 18).

Of course, I'm tiny, so I actually look like a kid. But it's still funny sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      Have you been called "Mum" yet?
                      Thankfully no. Interestingly, the little lambs seem to have no idea what to call and unknown male teacher. They've never had to use 'Sir', so by extension if they don't call me 'Miss' it's 'Mister'.

My sympathies as a fellow six-foot, bearded 'Miss' to Mr W.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I find Jack the easiest to write for and the hardest. I can write him wonderfully when he's in command mode and in the missing scene mode (because I have control over the situation and how he reacts in it), but trying to get the dry funny side of him correct is much harder. Not surprising as most comedic actors will tell you that comedy is harder than drama.
                        "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                        it has it's own laws and beats about things
                        which the intellect scorns."
                        - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          my teal'c tends to treat jack like an indulgent parent with an energetic child...letting them run with things then reigning them in with a precisely placed word or two
                          LOL

And that is why I adore your Teal'c! You bring him to life!

(Gee.. I need to find the time to read fic again.)
                          Hoodat Whatzit

http://www.hoodatlair.com
                          http://www.betasite.hoodatlair.com
                          http://www.jackfic.com

Comment

I find Teal'c very hard to write so that's why he's usually void from my stories. I would like to put him in, but he's more about looks than words and I find that harder to write.

Stargate-Universe.co.uk

Comment

I find it hard to write each character! Maybe it's because I write fanfics for my other fav tv shows. But if I had to pick one character I guess for me it would be the colonel.

I think I might just need more pratice though.
                              Jack: (describing Urgo) It's a machine!
                              Urgo: That hurts!

I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe, and I wanna eat pie.
                              Jack: Hey, who doesn't?

Urgo: They're gonna kill you! They're gonna open your heads with giant can openers and then they scoop me out with a big scoopy thing... (starts crying)

Comment

I have trouble writing Jack because I'm growing increasingly disenchanted with the character so it's hard for me to write him likeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X