Apostle's Message (ME/SG Crossover)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbz View Post
    Huh? What? What's the question? My ears were burning...
    I dunno, something about fast paced back and forth scenes...

Now that your ears are burning, i guess i'm going to have to jet over

oh and Chapter 2 is up

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/2/
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I skimmed through the chapter. Seems to me you can't avoid the short back and forth scenes. You're tracking two groups reacting to an event as it happens. It you want to get both sides' actions in "real time" as it were, you have to go back and forth.

An alternative would be to do the whole thing from say, the Normandy first (which could also build some suspense about who's doing what on Earth, but since everyone knows it's an SG crossover that might be moot) and then the next chapter is the same events from the SG perspective. But that has the risk of being dreadfully boring, depending how it's done.

From what I skim-read, it didn't seem choppy to me... was that even the issue? Choppiness?

Total sidenote - I adored Thane. He was my favourite new character in ME2.

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
        I skimmed through the chapter. Seems to me you can't avoid the short back and forth scenes. You're tracking two groups reacting to an event as it happens. It you want to get both sides' actions in "real time" as it were, you have to go back and forth.

An alternative would be to do the whole thing from say, the Normandy first (which could also build some suspense about who's doing what on Earth, but since everyone knows it's an SG crossover that might be moot) and then the next chapter is the same events from the SG perspective. But that has the risk of being dreadfully boring, depending how it's done.

From what I skim-read, it didn't seem choppy to me... was that even the issue? Choppiness?

Total sidenote - I adored Thane. He was my favourite new character in ME2.
        That's what i was thinking. Hmm... i guess the most i could do is beef it up a little with more internal monologues, but that runs the risk of slowing hte pacing down which is blisteringly fast.

Thane was very... Hmm. It's difficult to think of a proper word. Harmonious comes to mind but that doesn't really fit given that he's an assassin. Perhaps gracefully dignified. The Eidetic memory and overt religiosity certainly does give him a very somber yet smooth demeanor. That and give him a Viper Sniper rifle and it's over Personally i wasn't too hot on his character. I much preferred Garrus' blunt and often hilarious view of life. "At some point in my life, i got used to the smell of burning bodies... that's probably a bad thing."

Just curious, i'm assuming you played with fem!Shep, did perhaps SBZ Shepard become closer to the handsome dying drell?

One final note, someone asked in the reviews. Shepard is an Infiltrator in this fic. As in he's militarily trained, prefers sniper rifles, and has moderate technical knowledge. I thought i'd made it clear with the thought he has of "Infiltrators broke ****, didn't fix it." but alas, sometimes it gets lost in the speed reading

Chapter three is gonna rock. First contact on the ground

There's so much to come... argh! i need a USB port in my head
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I think the first chapter works how it is. It's supposed to be fast, and the structure works to invoke that feeling.

I actually played a male Shepard. So few games offer a gender choice that sometimes it's just... almost like it never occurs to me to play female. And since I imported my ME1 Shep, I didn't change genders for ME2. If I hadn't had my save, I might have played fem!Shep, as you say.

I can't describe why I like Thane. Mostly I think it was the dichotomy in his character. Assassin, but the religion, and he was always just so... so. Like you I can't find a word for it.

Of ME1 I'd say Tali was my fave, and she had some truly hilarious stuff in ME2. And Mordin cracked me up with his singing.

Comment

Finished reading chapter 2 and it is much better thatn chapter 1. It seemed to flow alot better which is somthing you would want with all this perspective switching.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Just took my lunch break to nip and tuck after beta and here it is, chapter 4 of Apostle's Message.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/4/

Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                Just took my lunch break to nip and tuck after beta and here it is, chapter 4 of Apostle's Message.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/4/

Enjoy
                Wait chapter 4? i think you forgot to tell us about chapter 3

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                  Wait chapter 4? i think you forgot to tell us about chapter 3
                  Possibly. I've been rather occupied at work recently That and the Spacebattles thread is already up to like 300 posts so

Comment

i dont know if this is where you are going but stargate earth has a huge advantage over the reapers hyperdrive they are not restricted by the relay network

Comment

Originally posted by guppy338 View Post
                      i dont know if this is where you are going but stargate earth has a huge advantage over the reapers hyperdrive they are not restricted by the relay network
                      Think of it this way. Space level Technology, SG>ME

Ground based warfare ME>SG

There's also more to consider, in the latest chapter, (chapter 5) we see Ha'taks attacking a turian Fleet. The Turians get wiped but Disruptor Torpedos have an effect on the Ha'taks. ME isnt' defenseless, but they ARE outmatched. Those Ha'taks were being led by a 'squid shaped' vessel.

Apart from that, the two technology bases are very different. SG tech is based on Naquadah while ME tech is based on Element Zero. There's still alot of story to come but given what's happened in the galaxy, it won't be an easy fight to try and defend against the Reapers.

That was the whole point if you think about it. Apostle merging the two galaxies using the Relay System throws everyone into disarray, which is a perfect time for the Reapers to attack. Since they couldn't disable the Relay Network using the Citadel, they instead cause tremendous damage and by merging hte galaxies, create infighting such as that between the Turians and the Jaffa.

SG-1 and the Normandy have a huge mission ahead of them.

Comment

When i say there we new posts in this thread i though there was a new chapter, damm you aragon for tricking us

Comment

When i say there we new posts in this thread i though there was a new chapter, damm you aragon for tricking us
                          Have you read Chapter 5?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/5/Apostles_Message

In any case, i'm working on chapter 6 today

Comment

Have you read Chapter 5?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6260570/5/Apostles_Message

In any case, i'm working on chapter 6 today
                            Theres a chapter 5?

Ok could you please tell us on this thread if their is a new chapter, not all of us are on fanfic.net

Comment

Theres a chapter 5?

Ok could you please tell us on this thread if their is a new chapter, not all of us are on fanfic.net
                              The spacebattles thread is where i'm posting all the info on this story GW's kinda a ghost town for fanfic and the spacebattles thread is already 400+ posts

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=172477

Forgive me for asking, but why don't you just join ff.net for story alerts? Plenty of people do that

Comment

The spacebattles thread is where i'm posting all the info on this story GW's kinda a ghost town for fanfic and the spacebattles thread is already 400+ posts

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=172477

Forgive me for asking, but why don't you just join ff.net for story alerts? Plenty of people do that
                                I would but im on soo many websites these days (most of them to do with Uni now) its simply too hard remembering all of the various paswords and usernames

Comment

Working...
                                X