This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    Well, they have different statues and lighting and thrones; or in Cronus' case, the same throne but with a rug over it. It's funny; one might almost think that they were all the same set.
    Ya think?

Yes, the ship's interiors reflect the,... er,... original owners, I guess. Pop's ship, in Serpent's Lair/Grasp had a bunch of Horus guard statues, so I figure he was using a vessel captured from Ra. Also, after "defeating" Sokar he did nothing to change the interior of his flagship.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      Ya think?

Yes, the ship's interiors reflect the,... er,... original owners, I guess. Pop's ship, in Serpent's Lair/Grasp had a bunch of Horus guard statues, so I figure he was using a vessel captured from Ra. Also, after "defeating" Sokar he did nothing to change the interior of his flagship.
      Well, with the Red Guard armour he pretty much embraced Sokar's whole look, didn't he? I guess he was trying to get away from that whole Serpent helm look.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Well, with the Red Guard armour he pretty much embraced Sokar's whole look, didn't he?
        Exactly my point; the Goa'uld are parasites; they have no real sense of self and will simply use whatever comes to hand without making much, if any, modifications.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
          "Ba'al, we have just destroyed the 'Anubis Mothership'."

Personally I don't like the idea of the Goa'uld naming their ships. It adds a little to much human quality to them. Plus I think that it would be a hassle. They command such large fleets, and they are constantly fueding, and taking over new ships.
          Do you really think Apophis sat down and renamed every one of Heur-ur's or Sokar's vessels when he took over?
          No they don't each system lord has at best a dozen Ha'taks, not hard to think up and remember names for twelve motherships and possibly a flagship. i doubt they assign death gliders and bombers names.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
            Exactly my point; the Goa'uld are parasites; they have no real sense of self and will simply use whatever comes to hand without making much, if any, modifications.
            Except that they have a whopping sense of self, parasitic or otherwise. Their identity is in their very genetic code. Everything they ever do is about ego; slippery little paradoxes that they are.

Comment

I'll have to check a translation of the biography of Ahmose to be sure, but I think that the Pharoahs did name their ships. And we all know from whom they received their customs.
              Last edited by priornavalperson; 04 May 2004, 12:03 PM. Reason: vicious keyboard

Comment

What if they used like a generic system to name their ships? Like whoever was in command of that ship was used in it's name? Example: Anubis's Mothership, Underlord Bob's Ha'tak.

"Underlord Bob will move his ha'tak into position, followed by Jeffery with his. From there we will move into posistion....."
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I've thought about naming a ship but as there aren't many on our (Earth's) side in SG-1, it's hard to come up with a name. In SG-1 they are just called...well, ships. Transports, motherships - no names, just designations.

In the various Trek or Andromeda series there are a lot of ships to pick up the flow of names from: Enterprise, Reliant, Defiant - such noble names. The Starry Wisdom, The Andromeda Acendent - very poetic. I like that.
                  "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                  it has it's own laws and beats about things
                  which the intellect scorns."
                  - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                    In the various Trek or Andromeda series there are a lot of ships to pick up the flow of names from: Enterprise, Reliant, Defiant - such noble names. The Starry Wisdom, The Andromeda Acendent - very poetic. I like that.
                    I've always liked the Culture's ship names: The Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality, the What Are the Civilian Applications?; the I Blame My Mother and its sister ship, the I Blame Your Mother.

Comment

I've always liked the Culture's ship names: The Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality, the What Are the Civilian Applications?; the I Blame My Mother and its sister ship, the I Blame Your Mother.

ROFLOL! "I Blame My Mother" - what a greatname for a ship! And the sister ship - hilarious! How about a new line with the flagship called "Your Mother Dresses You Funny"?
                      "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                      it has it's own laws and beats about things
                      which the intellect scorns."
                      - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                        ROFLOL! "I Blame My Mother" - what a greatname for a ship! And the sister ship - hilarious! How about a new line with the flagship called "Your Mother Dresses You Funny"?
                        Well it depends on the ship, really. See, the thing about Culture ships is that they're controlled by pan-dimensional AIs called minds, which spend most of their time off in a ludicrously complex thought-world of their own devising. They get to name the ship they control, and - partly because most of their vast brain power is occupied in this thought-world - they have a rather skewed sense of humour.

A fuller list of culture ship names can be found here among other places. The GSV So Much for Subtlety is another favourite.

Comment

Well, if one thinks of them primarily as carriers, then famous battles such as Saratoga, Lexington, Coral Sea, , etc. If one thinks of them as Battle Cruisers, then name them after Territories. The only two Battle Cruisers the US Navy ever had were named after what were then territories, such as the Alaska,

Of course, if one wants to be consistant with the name of the first space battle cruiser, the Prometheus, then they should be named after demi-gods. However, in that case we should try to avoid naming them after known Goa'uld.
                          Last edited by priornavalperson; 06 July 2004, 10:08 AM. Reason: wicked keyboard

Comment

Working...
                          X