Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, don't you think this conversation belongs in one of the writing discussion threads? There don't seem to be any orphaned bunnies involved.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I agree... if the original poster of this tangent wants to take it there.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I've decided to just delete the story and not bother to finish it. After seeing the responses to the story and not one person even helped with the plot bunny issue, i don't feel like bothering it anymore...And the readers would probably flame it just as bad.

Can't see putting that much work and effort into something that will just be flamed.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
          I've decided to just delete the story and not bother to finish it. After seeing the responses to the story and not one person even helped with the plot bunny issue, i don't feel like bothering it anymore...And the readers would probably flame it just as bad.

Can't see putting that much work and effort into something that will just be flamed.
          Well, to be fair your original post would have probably been better suited in the Fic Help thread. At least it's my understanding that people can orphan plot bunnies in this one so others with more writing skills/spare time/motivation/whatever can adopt the plot bunny and use it for a fic. It seems like you just wanted help to help mature your plot bunnies and not dump 'em here. Frankly I only look at this thread whenever I'm bored, simply because I'm not interested in other people's plot bunnies while I have so many of my own (nor do I want to orphan mine). The Fic Help thread on the other hand is one I'm subscribed to and seems to be visited by other people more often as well.

As for not helping, well the plot wasn't really my thing. The all girl team and super powers etc is just too far removed from what I enjoy. However, you shouldn't abandon a story you want to write simply because help here hasn't been forthcoming or because you're afraid people will flame it. You should write whatever the hell you like and write it because you want to tell a story; if it turns out people enjoy your stories then that's just an added bonus. Or at least that's how I feel about it.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Perhaps, I mis-understood the thread. I thought the thread was to get help for plots and not list plots you will not use. I thought this was a thread for help with a plot. I stated I needed help with plot in the first line. Sorry, if i made a mistake.

That being said, I found the replies to my post very condescending rather than helpful. You argued with me over if I should have nick names in a story and not address the question I asked. If the post was on the wrong thread, simply say so, rather than argue over that sort of detail.
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Jackie, a few things:

First off, NO ONE here is out to flame you. Okay?

Now, sure, you did put your request in the wrong thread. But isn't a big deal, especially when someone is new to this particular subforum. In fact, that's why some of us actually did try to offer you advice here, even though the discussion would have been better suited to the "Fic Help" thread. So don't worry about it. This wasn't the first time something like that has happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last. No worries.

However, because this is a forum for fanfic writers to help out other fanfic writers, most of us generally will offer suggestions and even critiques/criticism. Constructive criticism is NOT flaming! I honestly think that every piece of criticism you were given was intended to be constructive; I know for a fact that mine was. When you ask another writer or a group of them for advice and input, you run the risk that they might NOT just gush and say, "Oh, what a wonderful idea! I love it!" They might, in fact, point out things you could change to make a good idea even better, or things that might make a mediocre idea good.

I would venture to say that every one of us here has written something that was mediocre at best, at some point in our lives. I've been writing original science fiction for longer than some of my fellow writers here have even been alive, and some of my early work makes me cringe. It has honestly taken me until the past small handful of years to finally feel as though I were writing material that other people might think was good enough to read and enjoy. But that feeling came about because I took classes and participated in critique groups and writers' workshops where we were all freely encouraged to give completely honest feedback to one another, in the hope that all of us would thereby improve our craft. Praise is a wonderful thing and it feels really good both to give and to receive, but it won't do one-tenth as much to improve a writer's work as constructive criticism will.

The trick is to abandon the mindset that sees all criticism as a negative thing or as an attack, because it isn't. My suggestions to you were not intended to tear you down, nor to 'flame' you (trust me, I've seen flames before, and you haven't been flamed on this thread), nor were those offered by Fems or anyone else. We were all trying to help. I do tend to revert to "writers' workshop" mode when I'm offering advice to other writers, and I do realize that it can seem a bit much, for which I hereby apologize to anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of it without adequate advance notice from me. (Fems and Starfist might both have something to say about that, by the way -- and they are welcome to.)

Sincerely, though, it looked like you didn't really have much of a story to ask for help with. It felt more like you were walking in and saying, "Hi, I have this group of characters unlike anyone else we've seen in Stargate, and they all have superpowers and nicknames. They have to have the superpowers and nicknames to make the story work, but I don't actually know how I want to write the story. Can someone tell me how to write it?" That's a little bit like asking other writers to take your characters and almost write the plot for you. Problem is, we're all pretty busy writing our own stories, so while we don't mind helping another writer to overcome an obstacle that has her stuck somewhere on her own project, I think most of us really expect our fellow writers to come up with their own essential plots and frameworks, with which we will then gladly help to tweak or improve if we can. A cast of characters, no matter how quirky and different they may be, is no substitute for a basic plot, and throwing in, "This canon character is mad at this original character, this other OC is dating this other CC, and by the way Jack doesn't even like the idea of these people except for one of them," doesn't really go very far toward being a plot, either.

Having said all that, if you want to write a story and are open to sincere suggestions and constructive criticism, then by all means we are here to help you. If you really just want praise and pats on the back, then you might want to write the story on your own or with the help of a personal friend, and once you've written it, put it up online someplace and start a thread for it here in the Fanfic subforum with a link to wherever you've published it. People who like the story will probably say so on that thread, and/or by whatever review options your publication site offers. Others will likely ignore it, rather than taking the time to actually criticize anything about it.

It's up to you to do whatever it is you feel will be most likely to get you what you're looking for.
              Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 13 April 2012, 05:01 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I agree with most of what SF_and_Coffee said above.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                My suggestions to you were not intended to tear you down, nor to 'flame' you (trust me, I've seen flames before, and you haven't been flamed on this thread), nor were those offered by Fems or anyone else. We were all trying to help. I do tend to revert to "writers' workshop" mode when I'm offering advice to other writers, and I do realize that it can seem a bit much, for which I hereby apologize to anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of it without adequate advance notice from me. (Fems and Starfist might both have something to say about that, by the way -- and they are welcome to.)
                My original comment was actually more of a random thought and didn't have a lot to do with the fic itself, I just simply wanted to point out how irrelevant the use of (nick)names can be in a story because it's unrealistic to constantly refer to someone by (nick)name and that someone should therefore be careful with overusing them, especially nicknames since they would only be used in dialogue. There's nothing flame-y about it. Just a word of caution.

While SF_and_Coffee might revert to writers' workshop mode, that is just the way I am. Look around the forum and you'll see I'm usually quite direct and honest in my opinions when it comes to things like these. If you would rather I sugarcoat things and only give praise, then please to say so beforehand and I shall keep my opinion/advice to myself. That way I won't trample on your feelings and save myself the time and effort of actually writing a reply.

As for being on the receiving end of SF_and_Coffee's advice; I don't recall ever having had problems with it or how it was phrased. Or she would have certainly heard about it.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

All right, so this is a SG thred, but I have a verry lonsom plot bunnie who would love a new home, would any one be willing to adopt him? Just in case your interested here it is-
                  What if Afina was a guy.
                  would turn out to be an Afina (male)/Helen
                  Sorry if I anger any of you for my sanctuary invasion.

Comment

Ba'al wasn't killed when the symbiote was removed because the 'clone' of host also had a copy of his conciousness.

Ultimately he becomes a hok'tar and attempts to leave this universe through a version of the dimensional mirror which he built himself with help from Carter's, McKay's, Lee's and Miller's research into the topic. This however causes Carter to begin to notice something is up with "Aziru".

Eventually he travels through the mirror to another reality where the only Stargate on Earth was the one beneath the ice of Antartic, but Carter finally realises it and chases him through before he can change the settings on the other side.

Once on the other side Carter snags an Alkesh and manages to reach Earth; meanwhile Ba'al triggers the Jaffa rebellion with help from Teal'c, now claiming himself as 'one of the great and powerful beings that the pathetic Goa'uld derived their limited power from'.

Carter helps establish the new SGC to defend against Ba'al, but is kept a considerable distance (presenting a good reason for Earth's slow development, but allowing them access to her for when its useful).

The new SGC hires Charlie O'Neill as the new Daniel Jackson, Jack's death when he was young having affected him deeply and pushed him towards his academics interests rather than the millitary path he was headed down. Carter can't help but become attached to Charlie, as a reminder of home.

(Kinda want to suggest Charlie could be gay... but that is totally out there / just for fun.)
                    With Superb-Caliber-Frag-Statistics-Explosions-Are-Delicious!!

Comment

Heres an SG1 plot bunny I've had since I got season 9 and 10 on DVD.

Bounty AU, what if Netan wasn't killed by Ventrell and as more bounty hunters go after SG1, Cameron and Vala have to go undercover as bounty hunters and team up with other mercs to take out Netan.
                      Last edited by Anto117; 10 November 2012, 10:18 AM.

Comment

You know, I always thought it would be cool to have seen an episode where SG1 disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and after a reasonable length of time Hammond was ordered to give up the search and resume normal SG operations. So he takes a leave of absence, and gets with Jacob and Bratac to locate and rescue SG1. A one off story with just the three 'old guys'.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                          You know, I always thought it would be cool to have seen an episode where SG1 disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and after a reasonable length of time Hammond was ordered to give up the search and resume normal SG operations. So he takes a leave of absence, and gets with Jacob and Bratac to locate and rescue SG1. A one off story with just the three 'old guys'.
                          This kind of happened in the show, didn't it? Okay, maybe not, but reading this immediately made me think of "Out of Mind"/"Into the Fire".

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            This kind of happened in the show, didn't it? Okay, maybe not, but reading this immediately made me think of "Out of Mind"/"Into the Fire".
                            I have a fanfic in the pipeline involving those two episodes, and while it isn't quite as Eldritch has described, it does involve a different sort of search for SG-1, conducted by none other than
                            Spoiler:
                            our own beloved (at least by fans of my story All That We Leave Behind) Colonel Frank Cromwell, along with a few trusted Tok'ra allies.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Here is a plot bunny.

What if Catherine was a friend of Daniel's parents and she became his foster mother when his parents were killed.

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
                                Here is a plot bunny.

What if Catherine was a friend of Daniel's parents and she became his foster mother when his parents were killed.
                                Half of your bunny has been done.

Belonging by Nadie2 has Daniel being adopted by Catherine after the accident though she was not a friend to Daniel's parents she was there when the accident happened.
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X