Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if any of these have been said yet but..
    Spoiler:

1. What if the Ori found out about the cosmic background structure at the same time as the Ancients and sent their own ship after it?

2.what if Dr. Beckett and Dr. Keller worked together since the beginning of the show? (I.e. Rising)
    http://crazystuffofrandomness.tumblr.com/ My Tumblr page...
    sigpic

Comment

plot bunnies are replicators in disguise...they keep reproducing and spreading. and there is no stop to them! I like this thread, lots of great ideas. Unfortunately, I have a whole farm of bunnies I have to feed and clean up after right now, so I'm not on the market. I will check back when I have sold, or eaten, all my current bunnies. .......
      Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

I have a lot of plot bunnies. Most involve the Ancients. *cough*

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
        I know one was an AU where Atlantis doesn't get in contact with Earth for five years and Ronon and Teal'c go hunting one at one point. Another was a Jurassic park parody which i can't find just now.

So a stegosaurus tastes better than a t-rex!?
        I've read that fic. New Lantean Chronicles: Lost City found. Great story.

Comment

Two Stargate stories
          One. Michael and the Aesir (evil gray men) make an alliance they Hijack The Odyssey to steal the Asgard Core.
          Two. Evil unascended. The ancients are supposed to have thought the Romans so what if we had an advance society based on Roman society.

Which is more intriguing...
          Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Hi everyone,

I could use some ideas for a FF I'm currentyly working on. I'm kind of stuck on the plot itself, which is not normal for me.

The fic takes place season 8/9, alternate reality. Mitchell takes over SG-1 and Sam finds three women that she wants to turn into an expermential team. The story is preluded by another fic I wrote where Mitchell was still in a chair and a woman named Edna Cayce (after edgar cayce) helped him walk again.

The experimental team is put fleshed out:

"Radio" Edna Cayce - former homelss woman who has the ability to go into a trance and see how to heal people, like Edgar Cayce, but also can hear radio transmissions and that's how she got her nick name. She Mitchell's girlfriend.

"Tesla" Terry Hicks - an army cook (prefessional chef) who was made into a medic because she can manipulate atomic structures with her mind on a very basic level. She can do what appears to be basic magic. Where talking major food lover.

"De Vinci" Lisa Rothschild - a criminal elite with an bad attitude, had a photographic memory and the ability to make exact copies. Conterfiting is her specialty.

My first few chapters have gathered the girls together, under Carter's command, put them through training and flesh the characters out.

Jack does not want to send them off world, he actually wants it to fail, so he put Carter back on SG-1, send De Vinci far away and put Tesla on his personal staff as his private chef. Send Radio back to being intel adviser.

Teal'c is becoming infatuated with Tesla, who is hesitant of having having a relationship with a Jaffa.

de Vincie has pissed off Sam to an extreme - along with everyone else. But the most fun one to write.

Radio - Sam uses for intel gathering, they get along great.

I would like to pit the team against a big, bad Goa'uld: Ba'al is not that big and bad, Anubis would do but I wanted something more powerful. I also need a reason why they go off world, other than Mitchell screwing up and SG-1 in danger.

Any ideas what to do with these women?
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Just a suggestion: nicknames probably aren't the best way to identify your characters. Think about it: how many characters in SG-1 had nicknames?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                Just a suggestion: nicknames probably aren't the best way to identify your characters. Think about it: how many characters in SG-1 had nicknames?
                Well, Sam and Jack are both nicknames. I grant you there aren't very many, but those two are big.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Sam and Jack are short names drawn from a person's full name; they're completely different from nicknames like "Radio" or "Tesla" where the person's name doesn't contain any element incorporating the word radio or the name Tesla.

How many characters in SG canon had nicknames that weren't based on their real names?

I guess what I'm saying is that I've run across a lot of fanfic out there for SG-1 and for other franchises in which the authors all seem to think that every character needs to have some cool or cute nickname that bears no resemblance to the person's given name. Not only do I not understand why, but quite frankly, it's a major distraction from the story and the characters. If I begin reading a story and discover that everyone has a nickname, then unless that's normal in the franchise the story is based on, I stop reading and go find a different story.

Rule of thumb: Try to follow the naming conventions used in your franchise's canon. If everyone in canon has nicknames, great. If not, then don't do it in your story unless your story is meant as a parody of your franchise.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

What I've done in the story to keep the reader from being confused it to seperate the nickname from the narrative.

Thus, the nick name is only used in dialog with the characters, who call each other by nick names.

That is also a good rule to use for Jack, Sam and Daniel. Teal'c it can't apply too. It depends on the author though.

Using first names you don't have to seperate the narrative and dialog, with nick name I'ts best unless...The real name is unknown.

I did come up with a plot for it, going to use a combo and Adria and Anubis. Instead of the Ori being from another galaxy, it's really an Anubis front and he's behind it. Adria becomes his pawn and is given all sort of power.

A also bring Vala into the story this way too.

I try to keep a lot of the story centered around jack and everything happening around him. But, I'm not publiching it for some times, so I can take my time with it. Kind of back burner project.

Comment

I'm not sure how many writers are familiar with the trivium and quadrivium but the concpet would work really well in SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Thus, the nick name is only used in dialog with the characters, who call each other by nick names.
                        Personally I find this one of the things that is overdone in fanfiction, because really, how often do you call your friends/family by their name while talking to them? You usually just turn towards the person you're talking to and probably would only resort to calling them by name when you're speaking to a group (or handing out orders). These days it's hardly even necessary to greet someone by name on the phone because most people have number recognition and know who's calling before they even pick up and it's kind of odd to answer your cell phone with your name considering the person who called you usually knows who they're calling.

So I really think you should be careful with that, especially when using nicknames, and only use it sparingly and perhaps over the radio.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Personally I find this one of the things that is overdone in fanfiction, because really, how often do you call your friends/family by their name while talking to them? You usually just turn towards the person you're talking to and probably would only resort to calling them by name when you're speaking to a group (or handing out orders). These days it's hardly even necessary to greet someone by name on the phone because most people have number recognition and know who's calling before they even pick up and it's kind of odd to answer your cell phone with your name considering the person who called you usually knows who they're calling.

So I really think you should be careful with that, especially when using nicknames, and only use it sparingly and perhaps over the radio.
                          If my friends has a nick name, that they go by, I use it...we all do.

I have three friends who use nick names:

Moondog, Buddy and Flowbee - and yes, people call them by that.

So, yes I do have friends who constantly use unusual nick names, only time they are called by thier actual name is for formal events, ect.

Granted, most people do not use odd nick names, but those who do - get mad when you call them by thier given name. Some people do not like to be called by thier real name.

My friend Buddy his other nick name is "Ugly buddy" and he will tell you not to call him his real name, Byron. he doesn't like his name and goes by buddy or ugly buddy.

So, from my own experience, I would have to say that some people prefer thier nick names.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            If my friends has a nick name, that they go by, I use it...we all do.

I have three friends who use nick names:

Moondog, Buddy and Flowbee - and yes, people call them by that.

So, yes I do have friends who constantly use unusual nick names, only time they are called by thier actual name is for formal events, ect.

Granted, most people do not use odd nick names, but those who do - get mad when you call them by thier given name. Some people do not like to be called by thier real name.

My friend Buddy his other nick name is "Ugly buddy" and he will tell you not to call him his real name, Byron. he doesn't like his name and goes by buddy or ugly buddy.

So, from my own experience, I would have to say that some people prefer thier nick names.
                            I'm not saying people don't use nicknames, I'm just pointing out that in normal conversation people often don't call others by any name (be that their given name or a nickname). Can you honestly say that if you're in a room with your friend buddy you call him by his name? That your conversations go something like this:

Jackie: hey Buddy, how are you?
                            Buddy: Jackie! I'm fine, how are you?
                            Jackie: Cool, great to hear Buddy. So what have you been up to?
                            Buddy: Oh, you know, this and that, Jackie.
                            Jackie: So I was thinking maybe we could do [something] with Moondog, Buddy and Flowbee.
                            Buddy: Oh, that's an awesome idea, Jackie.
                            Jackie: I thought so too, Buddy.

In my experience no names (with the exception of people who aren't present) would be mentioned in a conversation like this. Overall, I hardly call anyone by their name and vice versa when I'm talking with/to them, no matter how long. The only time a name is used is when talking about non-present people or when they're trying to get your attention and vice versa.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

You're just pointing out the obvious. I think what you were trying to say is to write in a natural flow, but without seeing the story, and only going by a "top-off-my head" synopsis, you have no clue how I am writing the story or the flow, sentence structure, ect.

People talk naturally and when I write, I do so naturally. In the story, I write they are assigned nick names as part of the project, like a cover. The team is an experiment, I can't drop the nick names, it's weaved into the story.

Using names, any name constantly, would be awfully repetitive and annoying for the reader.

Comment

Well, regardless of whether I'll read a story filled with nicknames (perhaps you should think of them as call signs or code names instead and refer to them as such?) if by "de Vinci" you mean to make a reference to the famous artist, at least spell it right: da Vinci.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X