Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupational Hazard (SG1 Season 10)

Occupational Hazard

Summary: SG1 has a close encounter with a sniper offworld and one of them is wounded. Investigation leads to a shocking discovery. Now the SGC has to investigate both on and off-world before whoever’s hunting them gets more than an unlucky shot. But what they’ll find will both deeply disturb them, and pit them against an enemy they had never expected to face.
    Categories: Missing Episode
    Characters: Samantha Carter, Jack O’Neill, Teal’c, Cameron Mitchell, Daniel Jackson, Vala Mal Doran, various other recurring characters
    Spoilers: (as if it matters anymore) Spoilers for Season 9/10 of SG1
    Genres: Action/Adventure, Mystery, Humor
    Season: Takes place in Season 10
    Warnings: Violence, Coarse Language, Constant teasing and the razor sharp edge of sarcasm.
    Crossovers: VERY minor Atlantis Crossover. Unless you know Atlantis characters you’ll miss it.
    Challenges: This was a plot bunny I had over a year ago that I finally decided to write.
    A/N:So thanks to “Sealurk” on gateworld, I’ve decided to write this. I’m taking a break from my “Dark Frontier” SGA series and dedicating the next little while to writing this

This is the first true SG1 Fic I’m taking a stab at (mostly I’ve done Atlantis stuff) but this is an idea that just kept nibbling at my brain so I HAD to get it on paper.

I’ll be posting a new chapter every couple of days, so while it is WIP it’s not a hugely long story. I expect to get the whole thing done relatively quickly since I’m dedicating my writing time to it.

As always, please take the time to review. It takes 10 minutes to read and only a minute or 2 to review.
    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

ooooo. Intriguing start Aragon.

Not much to go on so far, but some intresting points, and good work on the characterization too.
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Damm, this last chapter was so freakkin great!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Pena View Post
        Damm, this last chapter was so freakkin great!!!!!
        LMAO! hahahaha! it took me freaking a week and a half + Sealurk's betaing to get it done right

Actually i stole a few scenes from a few playthroughs of "FEAR" i've had. Especially the Merc who got blasted with the shotgun and crumpled around the door.

Gotta love Ragdoll physics and overpowered guns
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

lol, thats cool.

Comment

For those keeping up. Occupational Hazard has now been completed in total.

Follow the link in the OP to get to the full story

I'm considering a sequel, but i have NO idea where to start

Comment

this was a really good read bud! id def read the sequal

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                For those keeping up. Occupational Hazard has now been completed in total.

Follow the link in the OP to get to the full story

I'm considering a sequel, but i have NO idea where to start
                It was really really really great!!!!! This is a great story.

Comment

A very impressive piece of writing.

P.S. Only because the quality of writing is so high-

Spoiler:
                  Minor quibbles upon selective re-reading:

Style issues- You seem to be in love with certain phrases which crop up a little bit too frequently; most notably the "s*** eating grin", which is found in every single chapter, sometimes repeatedly. You're also overusing the "angel watching over" metaphor- first Mitchell and SG-1, then Vega and Mitchell, both in the same battle scene.

Alicia Vega's sniper sequence- 5.56 is not a sniper caliber; there are some 5.56 sniper rifles but they're law enforcement ones, for urban conditions. 7.62 would have made more sense. Also, to my knowledge Steyr Elite isn't issued to the US marines or any other armed force; an SG team sniper would have been much more likely to use a G3-SG1 (the only sniper rifle actually seen in the hands of an SG team member on the show), an M14 SWS or an M40A3 (which I think is the Marine Corps' preferred sniper weapon). Also, in the same sequence, you made (presumably) a typo that suggests that the merc sniper's weapon was an M25 instead of an M24; M25 is a 7.62 sniper rifle based on M14 and it cannot fire .338 Lapua rounds

If it has to be a 5.56, then Vega likely was a designated marksman rather than a "proper" sniper in this mission, and she would be using a standard M16A2 with a scope, not a bolt-action rifle.

I don't think you've explained why Odyssey didn't use its primary (beam) weapon either against the castle's shield or against the Al'kesh which led the aerial attack. Some overly inquiring mind might want to know...

Also in the battle scene, the SG teams are armed far too lightly for someone who is up against fortifications- where are the AT-4 missiles that every Atlantis SG team seemed to be carrying? Grenade launchers?

Another little thing I'm unclear on. Sam dials the gate to destroy the Kull warrior-suited guy with the vortex. Then within minutes, if not seconds, she is asking Teal'c to "dial an uninhabited planet" so they could push the nuke through, and presumably he does, since the next few lines show them trying to move the nuke towards the gate. Another three minutes later they're escaping- all through the same Stargate. But the gate has just been dialed out by Sam! Unless you introduce a way to prematurely interrupt a wormhole from a standard DHD, it shouldn't be possible before the wormhole "naturally" expires after 38 minutes, should it?

Last edited by Womble; 03 February 2010, 05:05 PM.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

Spoiler:

Style issues- You seem to be in love with certain phrases which crop up a little bit too frequently; most notably the "s*** eating grin", which is found in every single chapter, sometimes repeatedly. You're also overusing the "angel watching over" metaphor- first Mitchell and SG-1, then Vega and Mitchell, both in the same battle scene.

Alicia Vega's sniper sequence- 5.56 is not a sniper caliber; there are some 5.56 sniper rifles but they're law enforcement ones, for urban conditions. 7.62 would have made more sense. Also, to my knowledge Steyr Elite isn't issued to the US marines or any other armed force; an SG team sniper would have been much more likely to use a G3-SG1 (the only sniper rifle actually seen in the hands of an SG team member on the show), an M14 SWS or an M40A3 (which I think is the Marine Corps' preferred sniper weapon). Also, in the same sequence, you made (presumably) a typo that suggests that the merc sniper's weapon was an M25 instead of an M24; M25 is a 7.62 sniper rifle based on M14 and it cannot fire .338 Lapua rounds

If it has to be a 5.56, then Vega likely was a designated marksman rather than a "proper" sniper in this mission, and she would be using a standard M16A2 with a scope, not a bolt-action rifle.

I don't think you've explained why Odyssey didn't use its primary (beam) weapon either against the castle's shield or against the Al'kesh which led the aerial attack. Some overly inquiring mind might want to know...

Also in the battle scene, the SG teams are armed far too lightly for someone who is up against fortifications- where are the AT-4 missiles that every Atlantis SG team seemed to be carrying? Grenade launchers?

Another little thing I'm unclear on. Sam dials the gate to destroy the Kull warrior-suited guy with the vortex. Then within minutes, if not seconds, she is asking Teal'c to "dial an uninhabited planet" so they could push the nuke through, and presumably he does, since the next few lines show them trying to move the nuke towards the gate. Another three minutes later they're escaping- all through the same Stargate. But the gate has just been dialed out by Sam! Unless you introduce a way to prematurely interrupt a wormhole from a standard DHD, it shouldn't be possible before the wormhole "naturally" expires after 38 minutes, should it?

It takes place in Season 10, where they dont have any of the upgrades the Asgard gave them...yet.

Comment

Spoiler:

Aye, my beta said the same. I've tried to actively see it but alas...

Earlier in the story, i mention that many soldier buy their own weapons and armor in order to get what "they" want.I'm assuming Vega had a Steyr because 'she' wanted it. I went with 5.56 because she wasn't going to be engaging at a range where a 7.62 round would be needed. So while she IS trained as a sniper, she's acting as a Marksman here.

They haven't been upgraded yet. The story takes place sometime before Unending.

Its implied there were some missile and grenade launchers. in the tight confined spaces of inside the facility though it would have been much too dangerous. Also they were trying to capture asmany people as possible and an AT-4 might be overkill given that it's a high explosivearmor penetrating round.

The Goa'uld dialed out, nothing went through, so the gate naturally deactivated. I'm reminded of Shades of Grey when Jack had to hold his hand in the wormhole to keep it open. I assume that with nothing going through, the wormhole just disengaged after a minute.The planet Teal'c dials is the one they escape to.

Answered above in Bold

Quite glad you enjoyed the story. I really did pull all the stops out on it and took a huge amount of time to do it. the M25 was indeed a typo. I have a finetooth spellchecked version i've been wanting to make availible.Fixes all those little typos (i hope)

Comment

Spoiler:

Aye, my beta said the same. I've tried to actively see it but alas...

Earlier in the story, i mention that many soldier buy their own weapons and armor in order to get what "they" want.I'm assuming Vega had a Steyr because 'she' wanted it. I went with 5.56 because she wasn't going to be engaging at a range where a 7.62 round would be needed. So while she IS trained as a sniper, she's acting as a Marksman here.

They haven't been upgraded yet. The story takes place sometime before Unending.

Its implied there were some missile and grenade launchers. in the tight confined spaces of inside the facility though it would have been much too dangerous. Also they were trying to capture asmany people as possible and an AT-4 might be overkill given that it's a high explosivearmor penetrating round.

The Goa'uld dialed out, nothing went through, so the gate naturally deactivated. I'm reminded of Shades of Grey when Jack had to hold his hand in the wormhole to keep it open. I assume that with nothing going through, the wormhole just disengaged after a minute.The planet Teal'c dials is the one they escape to.

Answered above in Bold

Quite glad you enjoyed the story. I really did pull all the stops out on it and took a huge amount of time to do it. the M25 was indeed a typo. I have a finetooth spellchecked version i've been wanting to make availible.Fixes all those little typos (i hope)
                        Thanks for answering.

Asgard beam and wormhole juggling- points taken.

Spoiler:
                        7.62 hasn't become the minimum sniper caliber due to range alone. Lethality, penetration, heavier bullet behaving more steadily in the sideways wind also matters. When you're using a bolt action on the battlefield, you really don't want to have to repeat your shots.

The standard M16A2 is plenty accurate within its caliber's effective range, and with some tweaking will easily hold its own against a bolt action while being lighter and more versatile, not to mention that it shares the magazine type. And if you need an absolute tack driver, SIG SG550 comes to mind which is still semi-auto with 30 rounds in the clip and capable of fast repeating shots.

Sorry but I just don't see a 5.56 bolt action as being useful on a battlefield.

/nitpick

And yet they had a door to breech and a wall to bring down, and had to improvise for both.

An assault team would likely have used shoulder launched missiles of some kind to bring down a section of the wall or the front gate as well as suppress machine gun/staff cannon emplacements on the outside; 40mm grenades from an M203 to reach out over the castle wall and smoke out defenders with tear gas; a GREM entry munition or a shaped charge to take out locked doors on the inside, etc. The C4 would probably only be carried if they had a combat engineering unit along, and Mitchell would hardly get to play with it
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Thanks for answering.

Asgard beam and wormhole juggling- points taken.

Spoiler:

7.62 hasn't become the minimum sniper caliber due to range alone. Lethality, penetration, heavier bullet behaving more steadily in the sideways wind also matters. When you're using a bolt action on the battlefield, you really don't want to have to repeat your shots.

The standard M16A2 is plenty accurate within its caliber's effective range, and with some tweaking will easily hold its own against a bolt action while being lighter and more versatile, not to mention that it shares the magazine type. And if you need an absolute tack driver, SIG SG550 comes to mind which is still semi-auto with 30 rounds in the clip and capable of fast repeating shots.

Sorry but I just don't see a 5.56 bolt action as being useful on a battlefield.

/nitpick

And yet they had a door to breech and a wall to bring down, and had to improvise for both.

An assault team would likely have used shoulder launched missiles of some kind to bring down a section of the wall or the front gate as well as suppress machine gun/staff cannon emplacements on the outside; 40mm grenades from an M203 to reach out over the castle wall and smoke out defenders with tear gas; a GREM entry munition or a shaped charge to take out locked doors on the inside, etc. The C4 would probably only be carried if they had a combat engineering unit along, and Mitchell would hardly get to play with it
                          Hindsight is 20/20. Alot of your points make sense but alas, i can't change it now.

I think what i have is what they would have shown in SG, True with the AT-4s, but it's the main's that get to do the heavy lifting. The Tear Gas is a great idea and i did think about using it (Vietnam comes to mind) but i decided not to seeing as a well equipped mercenary would likely have a mask.

All these technical details are awesome, but i never really saw that as the focus of SG. I just thank Sealurk for assisting with several of those aspects

We ARE working on a sequel though, your comments will not go unthought about

Comment

All these technical details are awesome, but i never really saw that as the focus of SG. I just thank Sealurk for assisting with several of those aspects
                            They're definitely not the focus. In fact, if your story were any lower in quality I wouldn't have been pointing it out at all. It's the urge to try and smooth out the little imperfections in what is otherwise an all-around beautiful and finely balanced work

We ARE working on a sequel though, your comments will not go unthought about
                            Glad to hear that. Will definitely be waiting for it. Might even finally register on ff.net

Comment

So I would like to talk about SOP and Aragon didn't care if we would talk on DF but that felt wrong and I think it would be even more wrong to start a thread for someone's story, so...

So in SG universe could earth training for war, could four person team take over LA or make a new faction?

Comment

Working...
                              X