Talking American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    It's actually used by a team who are supposed to have found that the 2IC - a very Catholic captain - won't accept their use of any other swear words, but the point stands; that they use a word that most Americans don't.
    I'm quite sure that your beta reader doesn't pick all the Britishness out of your fics, but then I am also 100% positive that she would never ever suggest the word colour without that vital U.

And since she should be betaing she will now vanish in a puff of logic. Or something.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      the fast food restaurants have biscuits with various fillings and serve them as a sandwich

popular choices are
      bacon/egg and cheese
      sausage, egg and cheese
      sausage
      ham, egg and cheese
      You have only begun to describe the wonder comfort food that is the biscuit. I prefer my biscuit just with butter or with brown sugar. Some people probably like jam with biscuits. You can make biscuits in fun shapes like (American) cookies. My Dad used to make mini-biscuits. Also, kids fight for the irregularly shaped tiny biscuit made from the last piece of dough...

Later,
      Graculus

Comment

Where it can get funny is when there is a word in English that may be a little naughty but that is pretty inauspicious in American. Such as the English have a slang word to describe a females.....er.....nether regions that is simply a very mild term for bum here. Not that I've ever heard any Americans use the word bum, it's usually butt, but I've started using some English terms in everyday speak just from talking online. Like snog. I love that word.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I've been trying to remember a light-hearted English swear-phrase I heard once. It ended with "... light a match".

Later,
          Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            Where it can get funny is when there is a word in English that may be a little naughty but that is pretty inauspicious in American. Such as the English have a slang word to describe a females.....er.....nether regions that is simply a very mild term for bum here. Not that I've ever heard any Americans use the word bum, it's usually butt, but I've started using some English terms in everyday speak just from talking online. Like snog. I love that word.

we use bum over here....but it's usually a scroungy homeless dude that lives on the street, with the stereotype of being a drunk as well

as to fanny....yep. fanny is a very innocous word over here. Hester, get your fanny over here'
            yet to the brits....yeah, not so innocous

I love snog, shag and ******. they're great brit words to toss around that few know
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Out of curiousity, do university students fall out of their chairs in hysterics when the professor assigns "Fanny Price"?

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                I love snog, shag and ******. they're great brit words to toss around that few know
                That reminds me, are shag and ****** really that bad of words over there? Is shag the equivalent of the F-word over here or is it less mild? What about bugger? Cuz I love using bugger as a curse word.

Comment

That reminds me, are shag and ****** really that bad of words over there? Is shag the equivalent of the F-word over here or is it less mild? What about bugger? Cuz I love using bugger as a curse word.
                  I loved the word, "******", even before I knew what it actually meant which I learned thanks to my English co-worker. It always sounded like you were calling the person something that was a cross between a nerd, a butt-head and an a-hole. (Can I say a-hole in a PG forum? - appologies, if I can't). It seemed someone had to really be a pain to call them a "******". It's a great sounding word.

The way my co-worker illustrated it to me was by saying, "So and So (a person in our office) is a ******." I knew immediately what she meant.
                  "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                  it has it's own laws and beats about things
                  which the intellect scorns."
                  - Mark Twain -

Comment

on context, shag is like the f word, or screw....a moderately vulger term for sex
                    (which puts 'austin powers: the spy who shagged me' into whole new context)

snog is kissing

as to fanny, well Fanny is even a woman's name over here, short for Frances or Francine....which is a feminization of Frank i believe
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Snog is just kissing? I have to say that's been wildly misunderstood in the U.S., lol.

Later,
                      Graculus

Comment

I love the word snog. I use it constantly. Of course when I do I have to explain what it means.

Comment

I love the word snog. I use it constantly. Of course when I do I have to explain what it means.
                          I always thought it (snog) meant "heavy necking." Is it just regular kissing, or deep passionate kissing?
                          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                          it has it's own laws and beats about things
                          which the intellect scorns."
                          - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                            I always thought it (snog) meant "heavy necking." Is it just regular kissing, or deep passionate kissing?
                            Snog would probably be more enthusiastic than passionate. I'd say it's intense to the point it's a little awkward to watch friends snog in a public place, but you can do it in a public place without getting arrested.

Shag is mild upon mild, to the point that even a shag carpet rarely raises a titter from the most juvenile of school headteachers. Bugger is a little bit stronger than shag - perhaps on a par with ****** - but not beyond the pale unless you happen to work in a church, convent or school. Oh, in the latter case, nothing is beyond the pale in the staff room, of course; just in the class or the corridors.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              Snog would probably be more enthusiastic than passionate. I'd say it's intense to the point it's a little awkward to watch friends snog in a public place, but you can do it in a public place without getting arrested.

Shag is mild upon mild, to the point that even a shag carpet rarely raises a titter from the most juvenile of school headteachers. Bugger is a little bit stronger than shag - perhaps on a par with ****** - but not beyond the pale unless you happen to work in a church, convent or school. Oh, in the latter case, nothing is beyond the pale in the staff room, of course; just in the class or the corridors.
                              heh heh heh
                              he said "titter"
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                                heh heh heh
                                he said "titter"
                                Have you ever considered a career in education?
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X