This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Perhaps it would help if we knew which series you ARE interested in? Much easier to make recs if you know that someone ONLY wants to read, say, SGU fanfic, for example.
    I like to read SGA or SG1 fics where I can easily get into the story (no having to look up twenty episodes for back story that isn't mentioned ever) and things that don't focus on a romance.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Actually, my question was for Falcon Horus, but that's okay.

Spoiler:
      I should probably warn you that ATWLB will have a romantic subplot for part of its length, if you haven't already read that far. The romance isn't the primary focus, however; it is there as a necessary feature that drives two elements of the main plot.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Spoiler:
        I should probably warn you that ATWLB will have a romantic subplot for part of its length, if you haven't already read that far. The romance isn't the primary focus, however; it is there as a necessary feature that drives two elements of the main plot.
        [/QUOTE]

As long as it isn't the main thing, I'll read it.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
          I like to read SGA or SG1 fics where I can easily get into the story (no having to look up twenty episodes for back story that isn't mentioned ever) and things that don't focus on a romance.
          I can say, for Sealurk's SG Ragnarok, you don't need to look up existing canon. All the mentioned canon is the easily remembered stuff, no funky, out-the-way references. And it goes straight into the fun
          sigpic
          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart5 View Post
            I can say, for Sealurk's SG Ragnarok, you don't need to look up existing canon. All the mentioned canon is the easily remembered stuff, no funky, out-the-way references. And it goes straight into the fun
            Then I am so putting that on my bookmarks.

Comment

Good! I have infact spent the last few days recommending this fic OVER my own!
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I saw Goa'uld in one of the summaries, and automatically my brain linked it to SG1.

Perhaps it would help if we knew which series you ARE interested in? Much easier to make recs if you know that someone ONLY wants to read, say, SGU fanfic, for example.
                I tend to read everything (however SG1 is lowest on the list, and SGU isn't even on it), especially when it has lots of women as leads... generally that leaves me with little to read since every one seems hell bend on writing for the male characters the most.

Hell, my favorite character is a 5-episode guest character (SGA)... I guess you could say I'm a picky reader. I apologize in advance.

However, I subscribed to the thread in hoping to find something new to read... so far... that hasn't happened but who knows what else is out there that has yet to be recced by the fans.

PS: no slash - don't read m/m of any fandom (except Torchwood)
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I tend to read everything (however SG1 is lowest on the list, and SGU isn't even on it), especially when it has lots of women as leads... generally that leaves me with little to read since every one seems hell bend on writing for the male characters the most.
                  Then you should read my story Manhood when I finish it. At the very least I want help brining out the females. The title is actually a play on gender roles.

By the way, how 'far' in the relationship is slash for you?

Comment

So, basically just gen SGA fic, then?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

gen
                      know the question isn't directed at me, but what does this word mean? I'm not used to the slang around here yet.

Comment

Well, "gen" is pretty much a fanfic term in general, not limited to GW. Here is a decent list of terms and their explanations. At that link, "gen" fic is defined thus:
                        "General" or non-romantic, used as an official subgenre category on many archives, including fanfiction.net. There is some controversy about what qualifies as a "gen fic", but usually it denotes a story in which any and all romance is a background element of the story and there is no sex, while the main plot centers around non-romantic themes.

"Gen fics" also tend to lack a specific focus of any kind. They are not focused around any particular genre (romance, comedy or humor, tragedy or angst, adventure, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, sci-fi, suspense, etc.). If the author can't fit his or her story in to one (or sometimes two) of those categories, he or she may label it a "general" fic.
                        ATWLB, for example is more or less gen, mainly because it crosses multiple other genres (adventure, drama, angst, mystery, friendship). It does feature a certain amount of het romance and may allude to sex on one or two occasions (more strongly so on my own site than on FF.net) but those are not the focus of the story, and only appear to the extent that they would be part of the natural lives of the characters. And the pairing in question is between a barely-canon character and an original character (OC).
                        Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 20 April 2011, 01:16 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Then you should read my story Manhood when I finish it. At the very least I want help brining out the females. The title is actually a play on gender roles.
                          I saw you link to one - is that Manhood?

By the way, how 'far' in the relationship is slash for you?
                          I can deal with PG-13 m/m slash, but if it goes any higher than that I flee in the opposite direction. And most importantly there are very few m/m pairings that I can imagine to work.

I'm a femslasher by nature.

So, basically just gen SGA fic, then?
                          General, het (any and all pairings) and femslash...

know the question isn't directed at me, but what does this word mean? I'm not used to the slang around here yet.
                          Gen = general

It means that the story is not focused on a romantic relationship. It's, I guess, as close as to what you would see in an episode. (I think)

Edit: Nevermind, SF_and_Coffee explains it better.

Edit 2: Is there a thread out there in which people can post their preference or is this place as good as any?

Comment

I saw you link to one - is that Manhood?
                            No, that's my story Burn it All Away. Sadly, most characters are male and I'm not sure you'd care for the females (not sure what you're looking for). Since I only have the one story up so far, I haven't mentioned it by name in my sig. plan to edit that later, when Manhood is finished.

I can deal with PG-13 m/m slash, but if it goes any higher than that I flee in the opposite direction. And most importantly there are very few m/m pairings that I can imagine to work.
                            Ah. That's how I like my femslash; I've never been interested in reading the physical stuff. There's just talking a a few hand motions in Manhood for that. Even less in BiAA

General, het (any and all pairings) and femslash...
                            Yay! I learned something!

Comment

No, that's my story Burn it All Away. Sadly, most characters are male and I'm not sure you'd care for the females (not sure what you're looking for).
                              I like my female characters to be strong, independant characters.

So, when Manhood becomes available - I'm sure to be hearing about it.

Comment

I like my female characters strong and independent, too. That's true whether I'm writing fanfic or original fiction. Even if I depict a romantic relationship (and I only write het relationships, simply because they're the only kind I have direct experience with), I take care not to portray the woman as passive. She is always an active partner, and even the aggressor at times whether in initiating the relationship, moving it forward, or in intimate moments.

I do have one future story in the works that depicts a female character who winds up waiting for a man who is grappling with his own issues, but even there, the woman in question handles things in her own way, with an eye to her own needs, and has a life of her own. When the story eventually brings them back into each other's lives, she is pretty clear with him about what she needs, wants and expects from him. She is very understanding of his own issues and flaws (because the ability to forgive is a strength in and of itself) but she doesn't take any shyte from him, and he respects her greatly for that very reason.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X